Interested in next AK build party...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    IM in as I just sold the bullpup and need to get me another AK, I will start looking for a kit/receiver soon.!

Get a NoDak spud pre-made receiver. They save so much time over bending a flat. Of course my flats didn't turn out but those that bent theirs were way behind in the build. There are some nice kits still out there but you'll pay for them. Probably worth it in the long run. Building one now really doesn't save money but it is a fun experience and you can customize all of the parts without paying for ones you don't want in the first place.

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    Get a NoDak spud pre-made receiver. They save so much time over bending a flat. Of course my flats didn't turn out but those that bent theirs were way behind in the build.
    Yeah, but you missed out on the spiritual, uplifting experience of bending, banging, Dremeling, filing, and cursing stubborn metal objects, finding inner peace via the hours of toil and sweat as our souls were cleansed through the purity of our efforts! :D

I had my doubts there a couple of times, but they came out fine, thanks mainly to The Most High AK Guru #1bambam, with credit also to rockmup.

:bowdown:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Get a NoDak spud pre-made receiver. They save so much time over bending a flat. Of course my flats didn't turn out but those that bent theirs were way behind in the build. There are some nice kits still out there but you'll pay for them. Probably worth it in the long run. Building one now really doesn't save money but it is a fun experience and you can customize all of the parts without paying for ones you don't want in the first place.

I don't use any other 100%'s...

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    you guys have a build party yet since the post was started? i'm still really interested in picking up a kit and putting it together but i have no tools and no clue how to do it. i'd be willing to buy a few cases of abita in payment for the help ;)

Not that I'm aware of. It's up to #1bambam since he has the sweet set up.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I don't know about rules but here are my notes on the last build party.

http://bayoushooter.com/forums/showpost.php?p=481814&postcount=174

I have a parts kit and a virgin barrel that I'm sending to bam. Just waiting on a set build date to ship it to him. That way he doesn't have to keep it for three months.

Here is the kit I got:

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/KIT-ROM-1975-NB.aspx

Here is the barrel I got:

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/57/products_id/1480

Info on a Bulgarian AK-74 kit.

http://bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40807

Kits are getting harder to find (not impossible by any means). Kits with original barrels are rare and you pay accordingly. A kit demill costs $40 and fitting parts on an original barrel is $50. So in addition to the cost of a kit a new barrel, fitted and ready to go costs another $165. So basically $265 + shipping for the Romanian setup I outlined above. You can get original kits with fitted barrels for $370 but then you still need to demill for another $40.

From what I have seen there are basically Bulgarian AK-74 kits that shoot the 5.45x39 round. All of the rest are pretty much shooting the 7.62x39 round. Romanian kits are probably the cheapest. Yugo kits with barrels run in the $350+ range. There are a few other miscellaneous kits out there. I would just decide if you want the classic AK round or the AK-74 round and then choose the kit accordingly. Either the Bulgarian 74 kit with barrel or the Romanian kit with barrel.

Bullet

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    New Orleans - Westbank
    I need a couple of receivers. Anyone have 2 NDS-1 or 2 NDS-1P or one of each? I'll swap a G kit w/barrel straight for any two or one of each or pay cash.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom