Interesting study on handgun wounding...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Read it before. It's why I'm not a big fan of .380 ACP. They generally get enough penetration in ball form, but maybe too much. Hollow points often do not.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I wouldn't really call it a study, unless I missed something. They stated the obvious, but did no research to actually compare rounds. I think the majority of the members here could've said the exact same thing, worded more poorly of course, but the exact same meaning and concepts.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I wouldn't really call it a study, unless I missed something. They stated the obvious, but did no research to actually compare rounds. I think the majority of the members here could've said the exact same thing, worded more poorly of course, but the exact same meaning and concepts.

You're the second one that tells me I should question my use of the word, "study"! Maybe I should have read the damn thing before posting it.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Read it before. It's why I'm not a big fan of .380 ACP. They generally get enough penetration in ball form, but maybe too much. Hollow points often do not.

I wanted to dispute this. I googled "gel ballistics" for my favorite .380, Cor-Bon DPX. I was quite disappointed that I couldn't find any that showed 12+" penetration.

However, now I have to wonder... if I am determined to stick with my .380ACP, would 7" or 8" of hollow point be better or worse than full penetration?

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    I wanted to dispute this. I googled "gel ballistics" for my favorite .380, Cor-Bon DPX. I was quite disappointed that I couldn't find any that showed 12+" penetration.

However, now I have to wonder... if I am determined to stick with my .380ACP, would 7" or 8" of hollow point be better or worse than full penetration?

Shot placement or some/little luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQqxbJMCCFQ

Last edited:

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    .. if I am determined to stick with my .380ACP, would 7" or 8" of hollow point be better or worse than full penetration?

Lotsa fail here ............ If I'm determined to fight house fires with a 16 ounce plastic bottle, should I use distilled water or tap water ?

Oh, use FMJ ..................... and tap water.:rolleyes:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Gel isn't the same as people, but that 12" was picked for an all around compromise to get adequate penetration that an agent might need through shirt, coat, clothing.

.380 ACP has obviously killed people, but with a hollow point it may not get you what you need to stop the threat. 9mm or .38 Special +P get you there much more reliably.

They say a Colt 1851 Navy (.36 Caliber) has about the same power as .380 ACP... lots of people used the 1851. It was actually Wild Bill Hickock's weapon of choice and it worked for him..... but he was a good shot and it was using ball ammo. There are better choices today though.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    If I wanted to make sure someone was KILLED, I would carry something bigger. I'm not looking to kill anyone; just to stop the attack. Furthermore, most of the attacks are stopped at the sight of the gun. Therefore, all calibers are equal in THAT aspect.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If I wanted to make sure someone was KILLED, I would carry something bigger. I'm not looking to kill anyone; just to stop the attack. Furthermore, most of the attacks are stopped at the sight of the gun. Therefore, all calibers are equal in THAT aspect.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever read on this forum. And that's saying a lot.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I honestly thought the new mods were going to "change" this forum. There's obviously still a lot of people here acting like children, present company included.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom