IPSC/USPSA shooting help!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I am looking into 1 of 3 divisions to start in. I will list what I think I understand about the 3.

Production- Pretty much a box stock gun. No more than 10 rounds. Might as well use 9mm. Cannot use race-type holsters. (Can I just load 10 rounds in say a 15 round mag and be good to go)?

Limited 10- Can have some mods on the gun. No more than 10 rounds. Need to at least use .40 or .45. Can use race-type holsters. (Can I just load 10 rounds in say a 15 round mag and be good to go)?

Limited- Can have some mods on the gun. More rounds can be used. Needs to be at least .40 or .45. Can use race-type holsters.

Let me know if I am on the right track with my research? Please list what you like about each division and why you like it?

I got some help with some of this. However I would like to get some help from the guys/gals in the area (main shooting spot will be southern shootern center)

Thanks Lance

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Basically:

Limited - no ports, (comps?), optics, mag limit is 140mm
    L10 (same as limited but 10 rounds in mag at signal start)
    Production - no external mods besides finish changes and some grip tape, most internals are OK, must fit in a box, fit within a certain weight, 10rds at signal start)

you can get alot more info at www.uspsa.org and click "rules"

yes, you can load 10rd in a 15rd mag. actually for your start mag you will put 11 in your gun as long as it has 10 when the buzzer goes off. in other words, if you have to stage your mags on a table you can only have 10 rounds in it but if you're starting with your gun loaded you can have 11 bvecause, when you make ready and chamber a round youll now have 10 in the magazine.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Basically:

Limited - no ports, (comps?), optics, mag limit is 140mm
    L10 (same as limited but 10 rounds in mag at signal start)
    Production - no external mods besides finish changes and some grip tape, most internals are OK, must fit in a box, fit within a certain weight, 10rds at signal start)

you can get alot more info at www.uspsa.org and click "rules"

yes, you can load 10rd in a 15rd mag. actually for your start mag you will put 11 in your gun as long as it has 10 when the buzzer goes off. in other words, if you have to stage your mags on a table you can only have 10 rounds in it but if you're starting with your gun loaded you can have 11 bvecause, when you make ready and chamber a round youll now have 10 in the magazine.

OK Thats what I understood. Sometimes I just like to ask. I spent all day yestrday reading (too much LOL).

Does south Louisiana have a lot of Production shooters? I dont wanna start shooting in a division and not have anyone to shoot against.

Thanks

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    OK Thats what I understood. Sometimes I just like to ask. I spent all day yestrday reading (too much LOL).

Does south Louisiana have a lot of Production shooters? I dont wanna start shooting in a division and not have anyone to shoot against.

Thanks

There are plenty of production shooters in south LA. ;)

I don't think I've been to a match where there were less than 10 productions shooters. Where in South LA are you?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Well, you can check the calendar at the top or go to www.lagator.org

1st Saturday of every month is an IPDAish match in Amite
    1st Sunday of every month is an IPSC/USPSA match in Thibodaux
    2nd Saturday of every month is a steel pistol match in Thibodaux
    3rd Sunday of every month is an IPSC/USPSA match in Gonzales
    4th (and 5th) Sunday of every month is an IPSC/USPSA match in Amite

Also, I believe there is an ICORE (revolver) match on the last Saturday of every month in Thibodaux. I believe you can shoot auto loaders there as well. (Quarterly)

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge

4th (and 5th) Sunday of every month is an IPSC/USPSA match in Gonzales

Also, I believe there is an ICORE (revolver) match on the last Saturday of every month in Thibodaux. I believe you can shoot auto loaders there as well.
    >

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    Spanky explained it well, but I would like to add a few points. Usually at any given match in the area production and Limited Divisions have more shooters than any other. You will not be alone unless something very unusual happens.

I think that if you have a production pistol, you should start in that Division. You can borrow almost anything that you don't already own from another shooter (especially if it is a Glock). Most of us have various equipment that we are not using and are more than willing to bring it to a match if we are notified in advance. (post your request here)

We will shoot in Gonzales at the Sheriff's office range (Across the road from Lamar-Dixon) next Sunday 9/20 @ 09:00 hrs. Come shoot with us and see what you've been missing. You'll kick yourself for not starting sooner.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Buddy

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace

4th (and 5th) Sunday of every month is an IPSC/USPSA match in Amite

Also, I believe there is an ICORE (revolver) match on the last Saturday of every month in Thibodaux. I believe you can shoot auto loaders there as well.

ICORE is quarterly.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I am looking into 1 of 3 divisions to start in. I will list what I think I understand about the 3.

Production- Pretty much a box stock gun. No more than 10 rounds. Might as well use 9mm. Cannot use race-type holsters. (Can I just load 10 rounds in say a 15 round mag and be good to go)?

Limited 10- Can have some mods on the gun. No more than 10 rounds. Need to at least use .40 or .45. Can use race-type holsters. (Can I just load 10 rounds in say a 15 round mag and be good to go)?

Limited- Can have some mods on the gun. More rounds can be used. Needs to be at least .40 or .45. Can use race-type holsters.

Let me know if I am on the right track with my research? Please list what you like about each division and why you like it?

I got some help with some of this. However I would like to get some help from the guys/gals in the area (main shooting spot will be southern shootern center)

Thanks Lance

The caliber restriction is for making Major Power Factor. 9mm is allowed in Ltd and Ltd-10 but the scoring will be different.

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    Another big plus for Production...besides the tight competition :cool: ...is that everything is scored Minor so 9mm is king. This results in lower costs for factory ammo or reloading components.

Jump into Production: the water here is fine :D

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    The caliber restriction is for making Major Power Factor. 9mm is allowed in Ltd and Ltd-10 but the scoring will be different.

Was the way I listed it the most competitive caliber for each division?

As far as guns I have a few that will work in Production.
    As far as Limited 10 I have a Kimber Gold Match 2 with a S&A magwell.
    As far as Limited. Do most guys use double stacks?
    I have other high end 1911s that I am not willing to shoot the heck out of.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace

As far as Limited 10 I have a Kimber Gold Match 2 with a S&A magwell.Should be OK for all divisions except Production and Revolver
    As far as Limited. Do most guys use double stacks? Yes

The 1911's will work for Single Stack Division too. Flush mags with 8 rnds max for 45. No "bull barrels". Holster and mag pouches behind hip. No race holsters.

Come on out with the equipment you have and we'll fit you in a division. Give it a shot and see if you like it, then you can get other gear as you feel you need it.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA

As far as Limited 10 I have a Kimber Gold Match 2 with a S&A magwell.
    As far as Limited. Do most guys use double stacks?

most guys in L and L10 use double stacks afaik. I think the single stack guys shoot in single stack.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    In Limited 10 will the 10 round power mags be too long or it doesnt matter?

In Single Stack the rules say flush mags. Can the mags have bumpers?

I dont see anything in the rules about magwells in Limited 10 and Single Stack?

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks for asking all of these questions bigtattoo79 you have really peaked my interest as well. So is it possible to just pay your dues on that website and show up with a gun and some ammo and get this thing rolling. I literally have no pride so I don't care if I look like a moron. I just enjoy shooting.

Top Bottom