IPSC/USPSA shooting help!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Well a guy from my work brought his H&K for me to check out. And let me say it feels great points great and looks great. But its a no no due to the mag release. I hate to turn my back on a gun just because of a mag release
    but I really dont like it.

I am going to take another look at the CZ. But its looking good for the M&P.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I shot a CZ75B SA (modified from the factory for single action only) in L10 for a while. They're great guns. I never had it fail on me. I had my reloads fail on me a couple of times but not the gun. Go to www.ghostholster.com for parts etc. I can suggest modifications for you if you're interested. Mine is modified with the Ghost Holster competition hammer (HUGE difference in trigger pull), Wolff springs, aluminum competition grips (slimmest grips available and darn good looking too), competition rear and front sight. Lloyd Landry did most of the work on it for me. He did excellent work.

Dave

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I shot a CZ75B SA (modified from the factory for single action only) in L10 for a while. They're great guns. I never had it fail on me. I had my reloads fail on me a couple of times but not the gun. Go to www.ghostholster.com for parts etc. I can suggest modifications for you if you're interested. Mine is modified with the Ghost Holster competition hammer (HUGE difference in trigger pull), Wolff springs, aluminum competition grips (slimmest grips available and darn good looking too), competition rear and front sight. Lloyd Landry did most of the work on it for me. He did excellent work.

Dave

Does Lloyd Landry have a website? How to contact him?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Spanky explained it well, but I would like to add a few points. Usually at any given match in the area production and Limited Divisions have more shooters than any other. You will not be alone unless something very unusual happens.

I think that if you have a production pistol, you should start in that Division. You can borrow almost anything that you don't already own from another shooter (especially if it is a Glock). Most of us have various equipment that we are not using and are more than willing to bring it to a match if we are notified in advance. (post your request here)

We will shoot in Gonzales at the Sheriff's office range (Across the road from Lamar-Dixon) next Sunday 9/20 @ 09:00 hrs. Come shoot with us and see what you've been missing. You'll kick yourself for not starting sooner.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Buddy

I dont think I will be ready to shoot next Sunday. Would it be OK if I just go hang out and watch I am very willing to help in anyway?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I dont think I will be ready to shoot next Sunday. Would it be OK if I just go hang out and watch I am very willing to help in anyway?

As buddy said, there is no "getting ready."

bring what equipment you have and we'll make due on the rest

if you come watch you will probably regret not shooting. i showed up blind my first match and never looked back. i even had to a borrow a double mag pouch from dmiculek the first few matches.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    As buddy said, there is no "getting ready."

bring what equipment you have and we'll make due on the rest

if you come watch you will probably regret not shooting. i showed up blind my first match and never looked back. i even had to a borrow a double mag pouch from dmiculek the first few matches.

We will see. I do thank you guys for being so nice.

I am looking at a s&w m&p 9mm full size without the thumb safety no crazy key lock and no mag block. From what I see in the list of guns that one should be good for production.

If I would shoot Sunday it will me my G-19 as I have 2 double mag pouches for mags and a belt holster. I just need to pick up a couple mags for that gun as I only have 2.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I have many spare glock 9mm mags if you need a couple.

I was going to use 5 mags. 4 with 10 rounds in pouches and 1 with 11 rounds in back pocket for when I get to the starting line. When told to I would put the one from my back pocket in the gun rack the slide and have 10 rounds in the mag and 1 round in the chamber to start with.

Did my reading teach me anything or am I way off?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Yep

don't draw the gun til the ro says "make ready"

you'll go through a new shooter briefing before the match.

Yes I understand that. I just wanted to make sure that I had the mag order down.
    Can someone point me to a post or add a little list of stuff to bring.

My plans are gun-mags-ammo-mag holders-belt-holster-tool kit- parts kit- cleaning kit- ice chest of water and of course my humidor of cigars LOL JJ.

The only thing on my list I may be short on is 3 mags. How does everything else look?

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Bring a small bag, of some sort, to carry ammo and mags from stage to stage. Not necessary to lug all your stuff around. If the match requires 130 rounds, bring at least 250. You may need to re-shoot a stage or you may get happy like I do and shoot at steel multiple times:D

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Bring a small bag, of some sort, to carry ammo and mags from stage to stage. Not necessary to lug all your stuff around. If the match requires 130 rounds, bring at least 250. You may need to re-shoot a stage or you may get happy like I do and shoot at steel multiple times:D

Yes I forgot to add I have a range bag. My range bag always has 4 or 5) 100 rd boxes of Win white box in it.
    Edit to add eyes and ears are in range bag also.

As far as a ice chest of water it may sound dumb but that stays in back of my truck at all times (never can have too much water on hand lol).

Last edited:

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)

You too? I thought I was the only one that missed steel.

You won't need a cleaning kit or tools, if you bring them leave them in your car. A small bag (as someone described), hand towel, eye protection, ear protection, gun, ammo, holster, mags, and ice chest should cover everything. Everyone there will try to help you through every stage. Just relax and enjoy yourself.

Buddy

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    You too? I thought I was the only one that missed steel.

You won't need a cleaning kit or tools, if you bring them leave them in your car. A small bag (as someone described), hand towel, eye protection, ear protection, gun, ammo, holster, mags, and ice chest should cover everything. Everyone there will try to help you through every stage. Just relax and enjoy yourself.

Buddy

Thank you for the kind words also.

BayouSlide and spanky I will let yall know if I need yall to bring me some mags to use by Friday night.

I will also know for sure Friday if I can make it or not.

I thank everyone very much for the help. I am sorry I asked so many questions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    McFreddieMercury
    Top Bottom