Killed a Pitt-Bull today...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    As gun owners, we all realize the media tends to sensationalize things to make them more exciting. How often have we seen stories of someone who was found with "an arsenal" of an AR-15 a pistol and 100 rounds of ammo? I would be willing to bet that 95% or more of the pit bull attacks you hear in the news was either

A. not a pit bull

or

B. a mutt with bully features

There are close to 30 breed IIRC that fall into the medias' definition of a pit bull
    http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Findthebull/findpitbull_v3.html

Back to the breed standard. These dawgs are just too vague to be recognized as 100 % pitt every time.

Dopeys, GSD's, Rotts,...all very distinctive while the " pittbull " as said earlier, is more defined by it's owner than the AKC or the like.

Any of the above named big 3 had the same rapp at least once in my lifetime.

I propose legeslation that would define owners as pitt bulls and the dogs could be bully feature mutts

Dawgs law
    Any individual with wife beater shirt and muti ink who has at least 50 % teeth missing and has at least one domestic and/or battery charge will be known as Pitt Bull...

or your version here

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Not surprised at the firepower required. Been around them all of my life and they are decidedly as hard as the hinges on the doors of Hell but usually very easygoing to humans.

Sorry your dog had to bear the brunt of the attack and I'm especially sad to hear the extent of the damage.

It's "Pit Bull", by the way.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Most of the time it's the wrong people buying the wrong breed formthe wrong reasons.

Pit Bulls are working dogs - well, the gamebred and catchdog bloodlines, anyway. MOST of the Pit Bulls you see are NOT of recent gamebred stock. The further away one breeds them from the working stock the greater preponderance of "normal" dog behavior appears. Some of these traits are protection-orientation vs. humans. I'd kill a Pit Bulldog who had a lot of fight drive towards a human being; they are too formidable for bite work to me.

The gamebred dogs aren't worth wet toilet paper as a guard dog; very loving to nearly every human (good or bad) and will tend to be very dog-combative: just as they "should" be.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    Mine will bark his head off at strangers, but his aggression or lack there of has never been shown because he has never gotten a free shot to run at anyone. As far as other animals, the only animals he has ever shown aggression towards were raccoons, squirrels, and things like that.

Here is mine ready to attack
    n45709059_30659128_898.jpg

Last edited:

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Mine was a gamebred dog and while he barked at the gate there was only two persons he showed true aggression towards and both of these individuals had issues with dogs and teased him mercilessly when he was a pup. I'll admit that if provided the opportunity he would attack them. If you were caught agitating me or any child or woman you'd probably have had to shoot him if you pressed the issue. What I liked then was that "everyone" just knew he was "mean" so they left him - and me - alone (except for the one fool who could tell us all what it feels like to have your hand in the jaws of a seriously motivated bulldog. But there is one of those born every hour of every day...

TheIT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Back to the breed standard. These dawgs are just too vague to be recognized as 100 % pitt every time.

Dopeys, GSD's, Rotts,...all very distinctive while the " pittbull " as said earlier, is more defined by it's owner than the AKC or the like.

Any of the above named big 3 had the same rapp at least once in my lifetime.

I propose legeslation that would define owners as pitt bulls and the dogs could be bully feature mutts

Dawgs law
    Any individual with wife beater shirt and muti ink who has at least 50 % teeth missing and has at least one domestic and/or battery charge will be known as Pitt Bull...

or your version here

That's American Pit Bull Terrier to be accurate. You are right most "pits" are pit mixes. It's kind of amazing what happened to the dog that was Pete in the original Little Rascals and the dog in the RCA Victor logo. Sweet little pups with a bad reputation thanks to the wife beater gangsta guys.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    While I was glad this thread had finally died, I like the way you think TheIT. I rescued a pittie pup from somebody who matches Dawg's description pretty well, and short of having absolutely no home training she is super sweet. The wife REALLY wants to keep her but I'm perfectly happy with my older pittie. Want a dog? lol.

rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    my niece(6 years old) has to go spend the summer with her mother in texas who lives with a pit bull. my brother offered to buy her any other kind of dog but thats not gonna happen. im sure the pit bull she has "is all so friendly and harmless". i think the owners of pits who attack people should be put in a large meat grinder. feet first. slowly. want to risk other people's safety, yours should be too. in the same manner.

like most people i always thought a 12ga was bad ass until i actually took mine to the range with some large poster board thats a little wider than most people. at 25 yards 00 buckshot was not impressive at all, 1oz slug was like shooting a civil war musket all over the place except the center area. at 50 yards the 00 buckshot and slugs where laughable and useless. i'll take my glock 19 over the shotgun any day. a carbine in 9mm with 30+ round mags is a much better choice for home defense. or even better, the ak47 + hollow points if you don't have neighbors too close. shotguns are just bulky big with a loud bark that will leave you blind and deaf in a dark hallway.

to be fair, i guess a 12 ga is better at 5 or 10 feet but at that distance wouldn't a shorter weapon be easier to maneuver with?

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    Damn... I am sorry to hear this occurred, Warhawk. It draws ire to hear that the rouge pit-bull was just dumped and tossed aside, only to try to kill your dog. My dad is a chow breeder, and I have seen something like that, but a cattle prod stopped most of the dog fight that occurred in his kennel. I hope your canine is alright. Maybe you should use slugs next time

Top Bottom