Killed a Pitt-Bull today...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Have you ever heard of a Pit Bull owner who admitted their dog was mean and aggressive? NO

Actually yes I have. In the past I have worked with some trash that is the reason the breed has a bad rep. Anytime they would find out I have pits they would start showing pictures of their dog and talk about how tough and mean they are. It is to the point that when people ask I now say I have bull mastiff to avoid the hastle.

Last edited:

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    Sorry about your dog and glad you killed him to bad it wasnt sooner.

I have a Pit and or around them all the time. Mine catches hogs. The kids feed him just like the rest of my hunting dogs but he isnt a pet just like the others. He is very friendly and loves attention. He is socialized and trained alot more than my other hunting dogs for one reason. He is way more capabable of hurting other animals or a person than the rest. Great dog at his job but like alot of guys with hunting dogs I realize they are hunting tools (like a gun) not a "pet". I love my dogs for what they are and how hard they hunt far me but they are not people and cant be treated as such. All dogs treated this way or a time bomb some or just annoying and some can kill you. I to have been bitten by purse dogs many times most people just give them a pass. Never had a Pit try but he would only do it once same as if I owned a lil dog.

Here he is with his vest. He is small but can and will catch a 250 pound hog by himself and will not quit until he is dead. IT IS BRED INTO HIM. No other dogs will do that no matter what you teach them. The guys I know take free pet Pits all the time and make them catch dogs no matter who raised them. Kill without no thought of self preservation is bred into them. Very few dogs have this in there DNA. Thats partly what makes them different.

IMG00238-20110220-1633.jpg

Last edited:

Shwane

Motivator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Youngsville, LA
    but you should have called the police IMMEDIATELY after you shot the dog. Whoever calls 911 or police, by default, is assumed the victim until investigation reveals otherwise

You're right, but I didnt have time. He was on the phone before the echo stopped. Only thing the sheriff who responded told me was to video the dog acting in an aggressive way prior to the shotgun solution. Strangely enough I had recently filmed my son riding his dirt bike in the back yard and actually had the dog on film barking and pushing on the fence boards. Now, I dont have an opinion either way on pits and weather or not they are bad dogs. Just an experience involving one I thought I'd share. I would have done the same thing with a Doberman, German Shep, Rotty

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    As gun owners, we all realize the media tends to sensationalize things to make them more exciting. How often have we seen stories of someone who was found with "an arsenal" of an AR-15 a pistol and 100 rounds of ammo? I would be willing to bet that 95% or more of the pit bull attacks you hear in the news was either

A. not a pit bull

or

B. a mutt with bully features

There are close to 30 breed IIRC that fall into the medias' definition of a pit bull
    http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Findthebull/findpitbull_v3.html

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Dogs Decoded: Nova, on Netflix instant. Theres a bit in there about breeding aggression etc.

We watched Science of Dogs on Netflix this week b/c this topic sparked my interest. I'll have to search for Dogs Decoded.

Search for Dragons or Dinosaurs. Really cool observations in that one.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    As gun owners, we all realize the media tends to sensationalize things to make them more exciting. How often have we seen stories of someone who was found with "an arsenal" of an AR-15 a pistol and 100 rounds of ammo? I would be willing to bet that 95% or more of the pit bull attacks you hear in the news was either

A. not a pit bull

or

B. a mutt with bully features

There are close to 30 breed IIRC that fall into the medias' definition of a pit bull
    http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Findthebull/findpitbull_v3.html

********...!!!!:mad:

i ain't never bit no body in my life!

:cool:

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Pits are lovable and adorable and neva hurt nobody.. they are poor misunderstood and always get a bad rap.. they are being kept down by the greyhounds teaming up on them..

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Pit Bulls + 10mms =/> Sharks with laserbeam eyes?

It's not the laser beam eyes that scare me.

9aipk4ts48htq7mrx512.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Serously, I think all breeds of dogs are capable of snapping. Look what they are decended from. I have two that are amazingly wonderful but I always keep an eye on them when they're with the kids.

Airborne

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2010
    Oh Man! Sorry to hear about your dog. I love Corgies! lol Good thing he is still alive. As for the whole pitt bull conversation , I have a pitt and i'll be the first to tell you that they are aggressive dogs and can't be trusted around strangers or other animals.

Warhawk83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    NE Louisiana
    Update: Roscoe is home. He seems to be handling it like a champ, very tired and in a little bit of pain though. He's also staying very close to us. My wife tried to get him to pee outside the vet, put him down and he ran to the car to go home.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom