Killed a Pitt-Bull today...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I had to end one last month. It took one shot, 00 buck 10 steps. It was a neighbor's dog behind us (pitbull).. This dog has chased kids, hurt other dogs and even tore up most of the back side of my fence. I have spoken with this guys several times about his dog almost getting through my fence. Basically warning him I will kill every 4 legged animal that makes it through my fence into my yard. I couldnt BBQ, hang out or nothing of the sort in the back yard due to the doggy door he built onto his house. The dogs he had would be at the fence barking. Well, me and wifey were hanging at the firepit when he finally made it through. I had enough time to get the Benelli and make it back out when he was 3/4 way through the fence. I waited for him to clear my fence line and took the shot. The guy called the police on me for killing his dog, but they told him he should have secured it before entering my property.
    And on a side note. The pit was hanging with the other 3 dogs for years without killing them. They were a pack and the pit was the leader. And happily, the rest of them have been silent since.

No disrespect intended, but you should have called the police IMMEDIATELY after you shot the dog. Whoever calls 911 or police, by default, is assumed the victim until investigation reveals otherwise. So, when your neighbor called the police on you, they probably thought you were looking for trouble until they realized what happened, hence "you should have kept your dog in your yard."

However, I do applaud your actions.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    I have seen one run a half a mile with a 110 gr 6.8spc round through the lungs. It had already killed and was in the process of eating one of my friends cats

Last edited:

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Here's my .02...

...Pit Bulls are being bred by numb-nuts who want a fighting dog. Instead of breeding the aggression and attack out of them, like the English Bulldog, they are intentionally breeding the most aggressive dogs. Sure, there are some who breed them responsibly. But those aren't the ones adopted or running the streets.

Pitbulls COULD be good dogs. But until the gangstas and druggies and Michael Vick stop looking for dem fightin' dawgs, I'll stay the **** away from them.

Right. Pit Bulls themselves aren't the problem, but the fact that so many are owned by totally incompetent masters.

I have a Pembroke Corgi now but I was raised with big dogs-German Shepherds. My family bred them, raising over 130 over a span of about 6 or 7 years. I've have heard people say "you have to be careful, they'll turn on you. If your dog turns on you, you did something stupid. 130 German Shepherds and the only dogs that have ever bitten me have been Cocker Spaniels and Shihtzus.

It's important to socialize a dog and it takes effort. It takes even more effort to socialize a dog towards other animals than to people. A lot of these dumbasses take the prime socialization time-from weaning to about 4 months and use it "toughening" their dogs. The dog's tough enough already. You don't need to teach that. Get your puppy out around people and other dogs every chance you get. Especially if he's a powerful breed. Don't worry about ruining his territorial nature. He'll still alert you when someone shows up at your home. That's all I need. I'm armed. I'll apply the force to the intruder.

Best wishes for the healing of your Corgi. Mine is my wingman.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Not even the owners, but the dogs. I very much want a pitbull but my girlfriend is too terrified by the idea. I would imagine from all the rhetoric out there.

Get a Rottweiler. He'll look like the big bad Pit Bull but be a cattle herder at heart.

derf

Privateer
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    BR, LA
    We've had this discussion on other forums. Here are some tidbits:

Pic Bulls kill more than their fair share of people. You can't change statistics. These figures are 10 years old, but I don't think the breed has made any significant evolution since the study was done.
    http://www.dogbitelaw.com/breeds-causing-DBRFs.pdf

About breeding to be "human aggressive". Puhleeze. Sharks were not bred to be "human aggressive". You can probably jump in when you see one and watch it swim off. You might be able to pet a stray Pic Bull. I wouldn't recommend either.

I know several people who own Pic Bulls and have no problems with them, at all. Pic Bulls are capable of being good pets.

However, it is kind of a joke how often people call them "the sweetest dog ever" even after they maul something or someone.

Just like you should treat any gun as if it were loaded you should treat any dog responsibly. They are animals and have instincts and a mind of their own. A tiny dog can kill a child and a dog bred to fight or take on wild hogs can easily kill an adult.

When I read up on the subject Labs were responsible for way more bites than Pics. However, there were a bazillion more Labs than Pics.
    Pics, however, were responsible for more fatalities, by far, than other breeds. Love them or hate them, you can't argue that.

If you think they can be great pets, you're right. They can. If you think they are natural born killers, well, the numbers tend to support your opinion.

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    I dont care which breed is more likely to do what or what type of person owns them. To me it is about what damage is the dog capable of if it flips its lid?

I love a friendly young pit, they are a gas to play with. Doesnt mean I'll own one.

I have no use for a dog that isnt small, a Lab, or Geman Sheperd/Malnois type. Just my opinion.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    I dont care which breed is more likely to do what or what type of person owns them. To me it is about what damage is the dog capable of if it flips its lid?

I love a friendly young pit, they are a gas to play with. Doesnt mean I'll own one.

I have no use for a dog that isnt small, a Lab, or Geman Sheperd/Malnois type. Just my opinion.

Best logic I've heard so far.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Why not a call to the owner? It might be actually lost, not just irresponsibly unsupervised.

I live in the country most dogs never return after being stung with a little Daisy BB Gun. They just keep going on by.

and honestly, I've only seen TWO Collared dogs in the last 4 years. Didn't have to shoot either one.

That’s just my general SOP for strays :D

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I would like to nominate this breed.

596719520_f6461abd40.jpg

I don't think Mel let's Spanky do stud service anymore.

:mamoru:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    We've had this discussion on other forums. Here are some tidbits:

Pic Bulls kill more than their fair share of people. You can't change statistics. These figures are 10 years old, but I don't think the breed has made any significant evolution since the study was done.
    http://www.dogbitelaw.com/breeds-causing-DBRFs.pdf

About breeding to be "human aggressive". Puhleeze. Sharks were not bred to be "human aggressive". You can probably jump in when you see one and watch it swim off. You might be able to pet a stray Pic Bull. I wouldn't recommend either.

I know several people who own Pic Bulls and have no problems with them, at all. Pic Bulls are capable of being good pets.

However, it is kind of a joke how often people call them "the sweetest dog ever" even after they maul something or someone.

Just like you should treat any gun as if it were loaded you should treat any dog responsibly. They are animals and have instincts and a mind of their own. A tiny dog can kill a child and a dog bred to fight or take on wild hogs can easily kill an adult.

When I read up on the subject Labs were responsible for way more bites than Pics. However, there were a bazillion more Labs than Pics.
    Pics, however, were responsible for more fatalities, by far, than other breeds. Love them or hate them, you can't argue that.

If you think they can be great pets, you're right. They can. If you think they are natural born killers, well, the numbers tend to support your opinion.

Pretty well sums up my stance also.

Only I will add that while the bite statistics say one thing, the reality is that far and large moreso than any other breed, the EFFECTS of a pitbull attack are much worse.

Hell, I have been bit by more chiwowwow's than pitbulls, but i still have my leg and it functions.

I agree with Derf on the analogy of shark attacks. If there are only 10% of shark attacks relative to any other sea animal, but 95% of those attacks result in death...well, you have to see why people respond the way they do.

Furthermore, animals are animals no matter how you may want to think you "treat or train" them. They are sentient beings with a "mind" of their own. You never have control over an animal unless you literally have physical control through restraints. Some animals, be it species or breeds within species have varying levels of inherent aggressiveness. My dad had a donkey that thought it was a pitbull and tried to kill every other animal it came across. Why? Because that animal had it's own. shall we say personality, like any of us. Human beings are animals at the basic level. Mistreatment of animals has a documented negative affect and breeds aggression, but at the same time, a dog raised in a mansion, fed fillet Mignon and fizzie, bathed twice a day by naked Brazilian virgins, and given a massage, can still flip out for what appears to us as no apparent reason.

Look on this board. Even with varying backgrounds, education, family life, etc., we all have varying degrees of aggression while sedentary or when provoked or "mistreated".

Dogs are not much different. Just like people, dogs sometimes do crazy **** that is completely "out of character" for no reason.

i am not saying I would never own a pitbull, but I doubt it. The ugly reality is that while pitbull attacks may be significantly less statistically than other breeds, the effects of those attacks are statistically more devastating than any other breed---and it doesn't matter why the dog attacked when your 2 year old has no head anymore.

I have owned multiple dogs my entire life. I know the love and attachment people have to dogs, but i tend to attach to the dog itself based on personality, not a particular breed. Same thing with a car or gun. never understood those people who swear by a brand. Every single brand, manufacturer, breed, etc has it's flaws and lemons. Pit bulls are no different.

the way people defend these animals by breed after they maul a child or animal to death reminds me of those women who flock to the serial killers like a movie star and try to rationalize why they did what they did. It doesn't matter if his momma didn't breast feed him, Micheal Jackson played with his bootyhole, or he was a crack baby- at the end of the day, he killed 23 people, had sex with their armpits and ate their eyeballs.

Just one guy's opinion.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Get a Rottweiler. He'll look like the big bad Pit Bull but be a cattle herder at heart.

Haha unfortunately she is more scared of those, but has a reason. People down the street from her when she was young had 2 of them that basically stayed in the house alone most of the day and received 0 socialization. So when they managed to get out of the house they would terrorize the block. They eventually got rid of them after 2 neighbors dogs were attacked (separate incidents) and and the kids were nearly attacked.

Warhawk83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    NE Louisiana
    Roscoe (corgie), is having surgery to amputate this afternoon and should be able to come home Friday. He will now be an inside dog.

As to THE ATTACKING DOG ( not Pitts in general), this particular dog had scarred up legs and one eye. It was also fully grown but only half the weight of a healthy dog. This dog was a fighting dog that some ******* either dumped out here or it got loose. The Sheriff's office couldn't care less that there was evidence of dog fighting on this dog. The deputy told me I did the right thing and WOULDN'T BE CHARGED with anything. Yeah, I wasn't thinking I would be charged...As to the carcass it has been put in a field for the vultures to eat. Animal control and the Sheriff's office said the carcass was my responsibility...yay.

Pit-Bulls, I won't own one and if you own one you're playing with fire and kidding yourself if you think you aren't. They were bred for warfare (Molossi Tribe) and for fighting. There is a reason "Pit" is in their name. I completely agree that the current/previous owner of this animal is at fault both for the dog's condition and mindset.However, this is how these dogs are being raised for both redneck and ghetto "tough" guys. Bastards feeding them gun powder and such...

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    They were bred for warfare (Molossi Tribe) and for fighting. There is a reason "Pit" is in their name. I completely agree that the current/previous owner of this animal is at fault both for the dog's condition and mindset.However, this is how these dogs are being raised for both redneck and ghetto "tough" guys. Bastards feeding them gun powder and such...

I have been reading along, trying to stay out of this one since the topic comes an goes with the seasons. While I feel you took the appropriate actions and am sorry for what Roscoe is going through, you are lumping all 'pit bull' into one class. When most people think pit they see this:

pitbull.jpg

That is the results of selective, aggressive breeding for a show piece or fighting dog. None of the pit bulls I have ever had looked anything like that.

I had an red nose APBT when young, when he died we adopted a Boxer/English bull mix. From the age of 5-15 he was always with me. During the summer I would do yard work for my neighbors and he would follow me to their drive way and wait all day until I headed home. He got into the cage of a pit bull down the street that was in heat, that is where Rocky came from. He lived 14 years and was very laid back and never showed any kind of aggression even with 3 different 'aggressive' breeds in him.

My wife and I now have 2 APBT/Mastiff mix. I am not going to go on about how sweet and gentle they are because I am sure this reply is already being lumped into the 'not my dog, it is how you raise them section". They were supposedly half and half, but the APBT shows through a lot more. My wife also took in a stray/drop off, he appears to have boxer and pit in him. He has proven to be one of the best tracking dogs I have ever worked with.

tank and dozer sleeping by the fireplace.
    tankdozer.jpg

dozer playing with evin (his cat)
    DSC01373.jpg

dozer,tank, and tazer
    PIC-0004.jpg

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I have been reading along, trying to stay out of this one since the topic comes an goes with the seasons. While I feel you took the appropriate actions and am sorry for what Roscoe is going through, you are lumping all 'pit bull' into one class. When most people think pit they see this:

pitbull.jpg

That is the results of selective, aggressive breeding for a show piece or fighting dog. None of the pit bulls I have ever had looked anything like that.

I had an red nose APBT when young, when he died we adopted a Boxer/English bull mix. From the age of 5-15 he was always with me. During the summer I would do yard work for my neighbors and he would follow me to their drive way and wait all day until I headed home. He got into the cage of a pit bull down the street that was in heat, that is where Rocky came from. He lived 14 years and was very laid back and never showed any kind of aggression even with 3 different 'aggressive' breeds in him.

My wife and I now have 2 APBT/Mastiff mix. I am not going to go on about how sweet and gentle they are because I am sure this reply is already being lumped into the 'not my dog, it is how you raise them section". They were supposedly half and half, but the APBT shows through a lot more. My wife also took in a stray/drop off, he appears to have boxer and pit in him. He has proven to be one of the best tracking dogs I have ever worked with.

tank and dozer sleeping by the fireplace.
    tankdozer.jpg

dozer playing with evin (his cat)
    DSC01373.jpg

dozer,tank, and tazer
    PIC-0004.jpg

It must be expensive feeding them all the babies they need.

:mamoru:

Warhawk83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    NE Louisiana
    I understand that you're dogs may not be aggressive. I would appreciate it if I didn't have to hear how sweet every pitt owned by a BS member is when my dog just had his leg crushed by one.

Top Bottom