Killed a Pitt-Bull today...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Sorry about your dog, and also sorry for the irresponsible owner who caused your troubles. It is people like that who give us responsible pittie owners a bad name.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    A neighbor of mine was attacked by one while walking his golden lab in front of my house about a year back. I waded in with a mop handle, one of the big thick ones, and broke it over the pitt's head. The damn thing looked at me, grinned, and wagged his tongue at me! I'm left standing there grasping the pointed stump of the mop handle like a dagger and thinking "Well, THIS was a bad idea." Fortunately another neighbor had retrieved a jack handle by this time and the pair of us convinced the pitt to back off. Took 32 stitches to close the lab up, the neighbor had a broken wrist and had to go to the doctor to see about rabies treatment since the dogs weren't vaccinated.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Great Job saving your dog.

I also live in the country and have stray/give away/dumped dogs come on to my property.

For that very reason I keep a rifle behind the front and back door and use them to SCARE away dog, cats, fox and wolfs just as soon as I see them.

I don't allow other animals to come in contact with my black lab Daisy Mae.

It's amazing how a rifle sending a projectile at 1140 FPS will scare an unwanted animal away, sometimes it will scare them to death! Especially if I aim to low trying to shoot over their head :{

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    A neighbor of mine was attacked by one while walking his golden lab in front of my house about a year back. I waded in with a mop handle, one of the big thick ones, and broke it over the pitt's head. The damn thing looked at me, grinned, and wagged his tongue at me! I'm left standing there grasping the pointed stump of the mop handle like a dagger and thinking "Well, THIS was a bad idea." Fortunately another neighbor had retrieved a jack handle by this time and the pair of us convinced the pitt to back off. Took 32 stitches to close the lab up, the neighbor had a broken wrist and had to go to the doctor to see about rabies treatment since the dogs weren't vaccinated.

Tell your neighbor to start carrying.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Sorry about your dog, but thank God you and yours weren't attacked.

Like you said- you weren't hitting him with the full brunt of the load....If he weren't locked on your dog, it would've been over quickly.

A little bird told me that one load of 12ga 3-1/2" 00 buck (18 pellets) will kill an attacking, full-size Rottweiler on a dead run graveyard dead.

Look out for the others, and be careful!

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA

Yep. 2 DUIs within a month, both times blew more than 3x the legal limit.

I didn't shoot the thing because I live in the middle of town where the houses are packed REALLY close together, and because the owner and both dogs were thrashing around way too much for me to feel comfortable taking a shot.

Last edited:

BRBrett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Whoa is right. Natural light? I mean cmon! Just joking guys ;)

I'd have to agree though if the entire load had hit him first shot would've been it. Once again glad you are okay.

Last edited:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    But I thought pit bulls were just like any other dog, not animals that have been bred to be vicious killers. I heard it on the TV so it must be true.

!@#$ those beasts and the trash that owns them. I hope you find the other two and do the world a favor. Sorry to hear about your dog. Was it a front or back leg that was injured?

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Sorry about your dog, and also sorry for the irresponsible owner who caused your troubles. It is people like that who give us responsible pittie owners a bad name.

Not even the owners, but the dogs. I very much want a pitbull but my girlfriend is too terrified by the idea. I would imagine from all the rhetoric out there.

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    But I thought pit bulls were just like any other dog, not animals that have been bred to be vicious killers. I heard it on the TV so it must be true.

!@#$ those beasts and the trash that owns them. I hope you find the other two and do the world a favor. Sorry to hear about your dog. Was it a front or back leg that was injured?

Best post I have read all night

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I am under the impression that Pits are a gentle breed to begin with. Its when they train the dog to be aggressive that it becomes a problem or when the dog becomes mistreated, then it becomes a problem.

At least... that's my understanding of pit bulls.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I am under the impression that Pits are a gentle breed to begin with. Its when they train the dog to be aggressive that it becomes a problem or when the dog becomes mistreated, then it becomes a problem.

At least... that's my understanding of pit bulls.

The one I dealt with had been kept in a 4'x4' pen with another one and thrown live raccoons and possums, not exactly your standard upbringing for pets. Strangely enough, the other one, a female, didn't do anything but roll around on the grass and play with the cops that night after they got out of their pen.

Warhawk83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    NE Louisiana

Back leg on the left side, she said he'll be as fiesty as ever once he figures out how to handle himself again.

Warhawk, which vet did you take your corgi to?
    The animal hospital, not my first choice cause they're really expensive but it was an emergency and the closest.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    A buddy of mine has a pure bread pit named bear. Bear is about 8 months old and weighs about 80 to 90lbs right now, but is gonna get much bigger. Bear is the sweetest dog ever though. So from my experience, it's not the dog, it's the owners/breeders mistreating or training them wrong that causes the problems. It sucks that pitbulls have such a bad rap.

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    About four years ago, my daughter spent the night with one of her classmates. This family owned a pit that was a loving family pet who would never hurt a soul. We got the call around midnight. Seems as my daughter was sitting on the couch watching tv this animal attacked her. The dog was not provoked, she didn't even make eye contact with the dog. In the end my daughter lost 3 teeth and part of her bottom lip.

Maybe I'm just a bit biased but when someone says these animals are gentle if raised right I say ********.

Top Bottom