Killed a Pitt-Bull today...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Maybe use a taser to stun and a bowie to the jugular? Just logically thinking though. A taser wouldn't stop an animal? I'm sure it uses electric impulses to control muscle. I'm not saying not to put the dog down but it should stun it enough to stop an attack temporarily so you can get a perfect shot....Just glad your dog made it through.

Either way, i'm going get better ammo for the shotty...

03GeeTee

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm sure that the owner plays a HUGE part behind the attacks. However, many many dogs are mistreated/abused every day and it seems that it's usually the pits/rottweilers etc. that are the culprits even though they are a small percentage of the dog population... just my .02

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Sorry to hear about your dog getting hurt. Pit Bulls scare me,,,I've seen a few crazy ones and read about so many more bad mauling incidents.

Whenever a breed gets very popular,,,,I think part of the problem is the damned pet mills ruin the bread because of so much inbreeding. And with the pit bull,,,you have all the idiots trying to make the dogs vicious in order to fight them.

I would never get a pit. IMO,,,,getting a dog can sometimes be like rolling the dice,,,there is a lot of luck involved when you get a dog. Why have the cards stacked against you,,,especially when you can choose from all the wonderful dog breeds around.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i know a guy that got a pit mix as a pup, it was a drop off. he kept it with its 5yr old beagle and raised it real good. at just over 1yr old it attacked and killed his beagle in the family room.

he put a .45" hole in the floor shooting it with his 1911 to get it off the beagle.

he said the beagle was just laying there and the pit walked up to it, and attacked it.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    About four years ago, my daughter spent the night with one of her classmates. This family owned a pit that was a loving family pet who would never hurt a soul. We got the call around midnight. Seems as my daughter was sitting on the couch watching tv this animal attacked her. The dog was not provoked, she didn't even make eye contact with the dog. In the end my daughter lost 3 teeth and part of her bottom lip.

Maybe I'm just a bit biased but when someone says these animals are gentle if raised right I say ********.

+1. I hate making general assumptions, but I will never own a pit. I've seen them raised right and raised wrong with similar outcomes. One of which was in the family. I don't want one close to me, my family, or my dog. I don't care how nice and well trained it is. It's like a tiger in a smaller body.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    This should stop the MOFO'S

0czhmhc5flp0fcjy7da.jpg

S&W4ME

I'm kind of a big deal
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Walker, LA
    +1. I hate making general assumptions, but I will never own a pit. I've seen them raised right and raised wrong with similar outcomes. One of which was in the family. I don't want one close to me, my family, or my dog. I don't care how nice and well trained it is. It's like a tiger in a smaller body.

Had my wife or I known that they owned a pit, this incident would have never happened as my daughter wouldn't have set foot inside this residence. The one positive outcome from this incident was that this beast won't bite anyone ever again. We were living in Florida at the time and this was one case that the district attorney used to enact legislation holding owners criminally responsible if they own a dangerous animal and it attacks someone. As they should be.

Last edited:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Some friends had a young pitt bull and treated it right, never taught it aggression, and it was all wagging tail and big sloppy tounge while jumping into everyone's lap...until they left it at the house with a bunch of us while they ran up the road a short way for a beer run. The dog was doing fine until it noticed they were no longer there, then it began stalking and staring with a quick decline of it's previously merry demeanor. We cajoled it into a bedroom and shut the door until they came back. Some behaviors come with the breed. My aunt had daschunds for years, the breed having come about for hunting into burrows. Without the slightest bit of outside training or influence, raised in her home from pups, those dogs who were always lovingly affectionate towards people were merciless killers of every chicken/duck/rabbit/possum their little legs could catch them up to around her property.

littlebob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Mental Illness, It's not just for people.
    I have dogs with different personalities. It doesn't bother me with the little ones.
    Hope your dog comes out OK. A friend had a 3 legged Beagle that adapted well and lived a long life.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Pitbulls were bread from the start for their "gameness"-- which includes aggression, to a pretty large degree.

One of the single most important aspects of owning one is socialization with other animals-- specifically smaller dogs. Fail to do this, and some kind of "attack" will be the likely result. Of all training aspects, this one takes the most effort and time-- unless you already own a smaller dog when you acquire the APBT.

Kraut's story is also very revealing, and something to consider. Pits are by far the most sociable dogs on the planet-- hence the ability of the owner/trainer to turn them into whatever he/she wants. Teddy Roosevelt and Helen Keller both owned pits, for this express reason-- although they were obviously used to different ends in either case. But the behavior he reports is also a socialization failure, as the dog is distrustful of strangers in the absence of his core "pack". Note that this is common behavior for all dogs, but the prowling and glaring is typical of the more aggressive breeds-- big AND small.

Based on the facts of this (and many similar) stories, and having seen what pit bulls can do when they're intent on killing, many of these attacks are not meant to be fatal assaults (at the onset) by the dog. Simply put, you would not have had time to even retrieve the shotgun if the pit really wanted to kill your dog. These things baited bulls and bears, often as individuals (though mostly in pairs); they are still used for hog hunting today, and have been known to bring them down without the aid of an owner's gun or knife.

Nonetheless, regardless of the dog's original intent, these things can very often turn fatal and you DEFINITELY did the right thing. At whatever point the switch was thrown, that pit was not going to be deterred. Condolences for your dog, and definitely do something about the other 2 feral ones ASAP. They are a LOT more dangerous in greater numbers.

Personally, I can't bring myself to get angry at any animal for its actions. In this particular case, the owner is entirely to blame. The dog lover that I am thinks it's sad that TWO animals suffered as a result of one person's actions-- and frankly, that irresponsible owner is the one who deserves a dose of 00B (IMHO). Keep us posted on the corgie, and I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Mac204

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    CenLa
    Here's my .02...

I grew up with big dogs. The first dog my parents got before I was born. He was an Alaskan Malamute. They have been bred to be super pack and ultra loyal dogs. As a baby I crawled over and grabbed his tongue. He could have ended me in half a blink but just cried until my dad pried my grubby fingers off him. The next dog was a Great Dane. He was a big dumb coward. Both of them liked rough play and, if they were a little too rough, would do their apology head rub towards you or act ultra concerned.

Now I have a Mini dachshund and an English Bulldog. The bulldog breed used to be ultra aggressive what with bull baiting and all. Their breed was almost extinct until some lovers decided to save what was left and breed the aggression out of them. This guy is a goofy oaf who sounds like a cat and is stubborn as an ox, but I can stick my hand into his mouth while he is pulling and jerking on a toy and he doesn't come close to biting me. I've had to shove my fingers in his mouth to remove tasty morsels of an inedible nature. He just looks at me and tells me off (If you're a bulldog owner you know what I'm talking about). The point is that he's as docile as they come. At 50 pounds he gets his tail whipped by the 10 pound doxie.

Pit Bulls are being bred by numb-nuts who want a fighting dog. Instead of breeding the aggression and attack out of them, like the English Bulldog, they are intentionally breeding the most aggressive dogs. Sure, there are some who breed them responsibly. But those aren't the ones adopted or running the streets.

Pitbulls COULD be good dogs. But until the gangstas and druggies and Michael Vick stop looking for dem fightin' dawgs, I'll stay the **** away from them.

Top Bottom