Killed a Pitt-Bull today...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I can't wait until they quit being the "super tough guy cool" dog to get... every few decades theres another "bad dog", remember dobermans and rottweillers reputations in the not so distant past? before them back in the 50's or so, German Shepherds were the ones to vilify and look at them now.

The majority of problems with any dog are fixed by spaying and neutering, proper training, and responsible ownership. Regardless of the breed, those things will practically guarantee a great pet for life.

Every time a dog thread comes up I always type huge responses and end up reducing them, or not replying at all. Dogs, Pitties in general, are one of my few passions. I know whatever anybody types on this board will go nowhere to change any minds or perceptions about the breed, the negative stories are repeated far more often than the good, if the good are even reported at all. I just ask people to keep an open mind and don't lump the breed in because of the actions of irresponsible owners.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    This argument of pit bulls pops up on BS.com once a year.:mamoru:
    I am under the impression that Pits are a gentle breed to begin with. Its when they train the dog to be aggressive that it becomes a problem or when the dog becomes mistreated, then it becomes a problem
    Trained to be animal aggressive.
    Pitbulls COULD be good dogs.
    They are awesome dogs.

[YOUTUBE]Z75yb7cUWa0[/YOUTUBE]

:)

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I agree. I have 2. I can't wait till the ignorant trash moves on to the new cool tough dog. It's a shame that people think its the dogs that are the problem.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Like a bunch of y'all I've had a lot of dogs a long time.

We went through the same killer dogs with GSD's and Dobermans...war dawgs, killer dawgs, attack dawgs...their brains are too big for their heads so they turn on ya...you name the idiot statement, I've heard it.

We are ankle deep in Pits now, finding the same to be true as with other " killer breeds " they're what you make them. 2% genetic, the rest is custom dawg work.

I have seen people let their 5 YO human child discipline a 80 lb pit ( I would think CPS had a special 10 year sentence for that one ) ... if you look at how a LOT of people behave with these dogs you can understand how some of these " unprovoked " attacks happen.

I'm sad OP's dawg got jumped, and I promise if I were him there'd be one DRT pitt from me as well.

Pls though...DO NOT get a 10 MM...we only needed to shoot one dawg, not de-forrest a section of land and knock down a crop duster.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I would like to nominate this breed.

596719520_f6461abd40.jpg

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Great Job saving your dog.

I also live in the country and have stray/give away/dumped dogs come on to my property.

For that very reason I keep a rifle behind the front and back door and use them to SCARE away dog, cats, fox and wolfs just as soon as I see them.

I don't allow other animals to come in contact with my black lab Daisy Mae.

It's amazing how a rifle sending a projectile at 1140 FPS will scare an unwanted animal away, sometimes it will scare them to death! Especially if I aim to low trying to shoot over their head :{

"1140 fps"

What kinda ****-ant pimp-rifle you using, Snook ?

Or, is is a 45-70 ?

leVieux

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    I'll never have a pit, and I had to tell a neighbor one time that if hers ever got over the fence it would be coming back in a wheelbarrow.

By and large, just about every bad dog incident (attack) that I've heard about in the last 30 years involves a pitbull. I've heard of a few assorted attacks by guard dogs such as german shepards and the like, but mostly pits. And more often then not, the person or animal that gets attacked is a neighbor, visitor or some such and not in the direct family (pack) of the pitbull.

Although I have heard of several incidents in the locale where a pit just flipped out and mauled the family child, usually less than 5 years old.

I hear both sides of the argument, but from where I'm sitting, pits just have something in their brain that when it decides to click ... it's not safe to be around them.

Just my two cents.

~rc~

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Some of the dogs misused for dog fighting include but are not limited to:

Akita
    Tosa
    Argentine Dogo
    American Bulldog
    American Pit Bulldog
    American Pit Bull Terrier
    American Staffordshire Terrier
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    Bull Terrier
    Neapolitian Mastiff
    Dogue de Bordeaux
    Bandog
    Shar-Pei
    Olde Bulldogge
    Cane Corso

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I know someone around here had shot his brothers pit bull after attacking the farm animals. He also said he shot it 6 or 7 times with a 12 guage. Not sure of shell though. People around here also dump animals, but it's usually muts or cats. Never seen anyone drop off a pitbull, usually if you have a pitbull, you better watch it closely so someone doesn't attempt to steal iy

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    I can't wait until they quit being the "super tough guy cool" dog to get... every few decades theres another "bad dog", remember dobermans and rottweillers reputations in the not so distant past? before them back in the 50's or so, German Shepherds were the ones to vilify and look at them now.

The majority of problems with any dog are fixed by spaying and neutering, proper training, and responsible ownership. Regardless of the breed, those things will practically guarantee a great pet for life.

Every time a dog thread comes up I always type huge responses and end up reducing them, or not replying at all. Dogs, Pitties in general, are one of my few passions. I know whatever anybody types on this board will go nowhere to change any minds or perceptions about the breed, the negative stories are repeated far more often than the good, if the good are even reported at all. I just ask people to keep an open mind and don't lump the breed in because of the actions of irresponsible owners.

Well put, but in particular "and don't lump the breed in because of the actions of irresponsible owners"

Old_Demon

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    Hum???????

With all this being said and discovered about pitbulls

I think I'm just going to get me a monkey to play with when I get home.

I've never heard of a little monkey hurting a guy have you????

My sister and one of my best friends when I was about 11 or 12 had monkeys as pets. Both of them (the monkeys) would rip your face off in a New York second.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I'd be proactive on the other mutts.

I show no mercy to dogs on my property without a collar.

Collared dogs get a 2 day grace period with the BB Gun.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    Hum???????

With all this being said and discovered about pitbulls

I think I'm just going to get me a monkey to play with when I get home.

I've never heard of a little monkey hurting a guy have you????

owning primates is illegal in la.

My sister and one of my best friends when I was about 11 or 12 had monkeys as pets. Both of them (the monkeys) would rip your face off in a New York second.

I really don't think he's talking about primates :rofl:

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    owning primates is illegal in la.
    I know DWF outlawed owning them in 2006 but there are still some who have them either grandfathered or for other purposes. Not exactily sure how they get around the law. Probably some special licensing. My vet is one of the only vets in the State, if not the only one, certified to vacinate and do work on monkeys in La. Dr Suzie Boucher at Azalea Lakes Vet Clinic http://www.azalealakesvetclinic.vetsuite.com/Templates/Clean.aspx . Once a year she has a "monkey day" where the clinic handles monkeys the owners bring in from all over the state to get checked out and get shots.

Shwane

Motivator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Youngsville, LA
    I had to end one last month. It took one shot, 00 buck 10 steps. It was a neighbor's dog behind us (pitbull).. This dog has chased kids, hurt other dogs and even tore up most of the back side of my fence. I have spoken with this guys several times about his dog almost getting through my fence. Basically warning him I will kill every 4 legged animal that makes it through my fence into my yard. I couldnt BBQ, hang out or nothing of the sort in the back yard due to the doggy door he built onto his house. The dogs he had would be at the fence barking. Well, me and wifey were hanging at the firepit when he finally made it through. I had enough time to get the Benelli and make it back out when he was 3/4 way through the fence. I waited for him to clear my fence line and took the shot. The guy called the police on me for killing his dog, but they told him he should have secured it before entering my property.
    And on a side note. The pit was hanging with the other 3 dogs for years without killing them. They were a pack and the pit was the leader. And happily, the rest of them have been silent since.

Top Bottom