Killed a Pitt-Bull today...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ben Draughn

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Hickory LA
    all dogs are just like kids you house them you feed them you teach them to do right but when they are grown they do just what ever they want to. some are good and some are bad dont matter how they was raised. you can have good ones that were raised bad and bad ones that were raised good.

simplepeddler

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Saint Amant
    it really comes down the one thing for me...........
    it's not worth the risk.
    There is no way I could look my siblings in the eye if a pit bull I owned attacked a niece or nephew, of ANY child, or anyone for that matter.

My son moved back in a year or so ago with a pit bull, the thing is chained to a tree right now, they are BOTH moving out next weekend.

Can't understand why people take the risk. Don't get it at all.

BRBrett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    it really comes down the one thing for me...........
    it's not worth the risk.
    There is no way I could look my siblings in the eye if a pit bull I owned attacked a niece or nephew, of ANY child, or anyone for that matter.

My son moved back in a year or so ago with a pit bull, the thing is chained to a tree right now, they are BOTH moving out next weekend.

Can't understand why people take the risk. Don't get it at all.

I've been around a pitbull that was the nicest dog I've ever seen but I know the facts. If it was to attack and I didn't have a weapon on me it'd be a rough fight and I'd come out hurt or worse. I agree 100% with you.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Roscoe (corgie), is having surgery to amputate this afternoon and should be able to come home Friday. He will now be an inside dog.

Keep us updated. I've known people with three legged dogs. One could fetch like nobody's business. He could turn on a dime with that single back leg.

And just to clarify my previous statement, I don't think all pit bull owners are trash. I know good people that have pit bulls. I think we know the kind of folks I'm referring to.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    I have been reading along, trying to stay out of this one since the topic comes an goes with the seasons. While I feel you took the appropriate actions and am sorry for what Roscoe is going through, you are lumping all 'pit bull' into one class. When most people think pit they see this:

pitbull.jpg

That is the results of selective, aggressive breeding for a show piece or fighting dog. None of the pit bulls I have ever had looked anything like that.

I had an red nose APBT when young, when he died we adopted a Boxer/English bull mix. From the age of 5-15 he was always with me. During the summer I would do yard work for my neighbors and he would follow me to their drive way and wait all day until I headed home. He got into the cage of a pit bull down the street that was in heat, that is where Rocky came from. He lived 14 years and was very laid back and never showed any kind of aggression even with 3 different 'aggressive' breeds in him.

My wife and I now have 2 APBT/Mastiff mix. I am not going to go on about how sweet and gentle they are because I am sure this reply is already being lumped into the 'not my dog, it is how you raise them section". They were supposedly half and half, but the APBT shows through a lot more. My wife also took in a stray/drop off, he appears to have boxer and pit in him. He has proven to be one of the best tracking dogs I have ever worked with.

tank and dozer sleeping by the fireplace.
    tankdozer.jpg

dozer playing with evin (his cat)
    DSC01373.jpg

dozer,tank, and tazer
    PIC-0004.jpg

You've essentially recreated the Bullmastiff, a breed that English gamekeepers created by mellowing the Bulldog with Mastiff blood and creating a guard dog that would tackle and hold a trespasser without mauling him.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    A buddy of mine has a pure bread pit named bear. Bear is about 8 months old and weighs about 80 to 90lbs right now, but is gonna get much bigger. Bear is the sweetest dog ever though. So from my experience, it's not the dog, it's the owners/breeders mistreating or training them wrong that causes the problems. It sucks that pitbulls have such a bad rap.

Bad Rap???????? Just the Facts........:rolleyes:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I've seen enough stats, read enough reports, seen with my own eyes and heard with my own ears ENOUGH about Pit Bulls and Rots to know that I damn sure won't have one on my property. I have kids, and hope to have grandkids which = No Pit Bulls around AFAIC.

EDIT: I've seen plenty of NICE Pits, pet them, play with them No issues there. But IMO they can be a ticking time bomb and the stats say they blow up quite a bit more often than other breeds.

Sorry, I'm not a risk taker and the Breed is worthless to me.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Small dogs roaming free will be nuisance at the most. Large dogs could be deadly.

Yes, free-roaming dogs are a trouble caused by crappy owners, but the life story of the dog doesn't mean much when he's clamping down on your pet, yourself, or -God forbid- a child.

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    Wow! I'm sorry to hear about this one! I can only imagine what that must have been like. I hope the little Corgi recovers well.

I too am staying out of the "Pit Bull" discussion. I've seen what ownership can do on both sides. I've seen that love, attention, and proper training in the breed (or better worded as the group of dogs that fall under the common "Pit Bull" label) can create some of the kindest dogs around.

On the other hand, I've personally been attacked by two who were not out to do anything but fight with humans. Specifically, as their owner said, "people in suits." (Seeing as we were in a terrible part of town the only thing close to "suits" that I could see there was police in uniforms, I'm guessing that is why we got attacked.)

Humans are the problem. It is all about ownership. Freaking scumbags.

drumz2129: those are some pretty dogs.

dozer,tank, and tazer
    PIC-0004.jpg

bigpoppat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Lakeview/Gentilly
    Have you ever heard of a Pit Bull owner who admitted their dog was mean and aggressive? NO

Every Pit owner swears that their dog is friendly until something like this happens. You can train your dog to a certain extent, but at the end of the day you cannot overcome genetics

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Hum???????

With all this being said and discovered about pitbulls

I think I'm just going to get me a monkey to play with when I get home.

I've never heard of a little monkey hurting a guy have you????

Be sure it comes with an organ to grind.........:D

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    The Sheriff's office couldn't care less that there was evidence of dog fighting on this dog. The deputy told me I did the right thing and WOULDN'T BE CHARGED with anything. Yeah, I wasn't thinking I would be charged...As to the carcass it has been put in a field for the vultures to eat. Animal control and the Sheriff's office said the carcass was my responsibility...yay.

About right for Ouachita Parish LE.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I noticed a collared Pit that was loose in my neighborhood on saturday, and my wife has since been informed that any walking around the block with the neighbor will be done while armed, or won't be done at all.

03GeeTee

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I noticed a collared Pit that was loose in my neighborhood on saturday, and my wife has since been informed that any walking around the block with the neighbor will be done while armed, or won't be done at all.

Just start open carrying your AK when going on walks :D

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    attachment.php

Sorry to hear all the haters, but even more sorry that you have a reason, cause stupid people types have ruined a lot of good dogs.

I wish it were legal to take an axe handle to the stereotypical pit owner...

This is Spanky, one of the best good will ambassadors for the breed I have ever seen
    ( no relation to the site admin that I know of )

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Me and my fiance wanted a pit bull for so long, but finances at the time didn't permit. So we found a woman on craigslist with some free pitbull puppies. Only thing is they were mixed with a pug lol. So we picked the one that looked most like a pitbulle. We started to think we would have a big muscular pit bull because her head was bigger than the others...well...her head hasn't grown since the day we got her, and her ears reach the ceiling..at least she has pitbull colors, like her mom..heres gypsey

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Keep in mind this is coming from a doberman fan... I wouldn't have a pit either. The breed has been ruined in the last 20 years. It has a long way to go to get back to respectability. The only hope it has is to cross breed it with a very nonaggressive breed- maybe labradors or boxers (though there are some aggressive boxers out there)?
    I don't have a doberman any more. I don't have the time to spend with them. I have a choc lab now- I know that I'm not home enough to spend enough time with a dobie. The lab is nonaggressive enough to be able to handle the lack of attention. Most other breeds I would not do that with.

BTW, small dogs can be just as aggressive. I've known miniature poodles that would attack at the slightest provocation, or none at all. As a matter of fact the only breeds that have ever managed to bite me have been spaniels and one particularly insane shih tzu.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom