Lafayette police kick in door and arrest 2 men...at the wrong house

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Kicking someones door down isn’t really a simple mistake. Knocking on the wrong door would be a simple mistake. Kicking the door down is well past that.
    Exactly, all it takes is a lawful gun owner enjoying a good movie late at night with his handgun on the coffee table. He is a veteran with PTSD who feels more comfortable at home with his dogs and HK P-30 on the table. The dogs start barking and the Marine picks up his HK just before the door is kicked open. What happens next is anyone's guess.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    ... anyone up for an actual discussion?
    Nah, I'm just gonna kick back and enjoy the show.

panda bear eating popcorn.gif

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Exactly, all it takes is a lawful gun owner enjoying a good movie late at night with his handgun on the coffee table. He is a veteran with PTSD who feels more comfortable at home with his dogs and HK P-30 on the table. The dogs start barking and the Marine picks up his HK just before the door is kicked open. What happens next is anyone's guess.
    It's already been established that this happened in Lafayette, Indiana. For more than a decade Indiana has had the "shoot a cop" law. The victim only has to tell them to leave once! This law was conceived because of officer misbehavior and judicial nonsense. The legislature enacted the law when the courts got it wrong. Police groups try to overturn the law every year, but, it hasn't happened yet. Contrary to what these groups want you to believe there is no "blood in the streets."

Stop the tyranny before someone gets hurt, or worse.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    So was this a mistake or was it a case of SWATING? If this was SWATING, the caller needs to be held accountable. If it’s a mistake what ever happened to the domestic violence case?
    Doesn't matter, they obtained 2 body's, the identity of which is apparently neither here nor there. Maybe the actual suspect was next door and was well enough entertained to forget about what he was doing.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La

Supposedly they were there because of a 911 call that was made, that actually wasn't, and they somehow obtained a 7 year old video of someone beating on someone, at a totally different location, which they used as their evidence to justify breaking into their home.

Abby might be onto something with the swatting or revenge scenario. Either way, I'm looking forward to the truthful explanation.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    It's already been established that this happened in Lafayette, Indiana. For more than a decade Indiana has had the "shoot a cop" law. The victim only has to tell them to leave once! This law was conceived because of officer misbehavior and judicial nonsense. The legislature enacted the law when the courts got it wrong. Police groups try to overturn the law every year, but, it hasn't happened yet. Contrary to what these groups want you to believe there is no "blood in the streets."

This law should be adopted in all 50 states as well as ending qualified immunity.
    I’d bet stuff like this would almost disappear overnight.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Yes, my statement clearly and explicitly said that it was ok. :eek4:

(but Magdump constantly gets sharted on for being a troll)
    I’m not trolling anyone. You made a comment and I asked a question. I swear man some of y’all are so sensitive it’s not even funny. Sorry if I hurt your feelings but we can still be friends if it’s ok. Lol

I don’t think @Magdump is a troll at all. I like the guy personally. I think he speaks his mind and some of y’all just can’t handle that.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La

Interesting bit of information. Thanks for sharing

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I’m not trolling anyone. You made a comment and I asked a question. I swear man some of y’all are so sensitive it’s not even funny. Sorry if I hurt your feelings but we can still be friends if it’s ok. Lol

I don’t think @Magdump is a troll at all. I like the guy personally. I think he speaks his mind and some of y’all just can’t handle that.
    Lol, it's cute that you think I have feelings to hurt. I made a quick tongue-in-cheek statement because I'm sure most folks naturally thought it was Lafayette, LA. You totally jumped the shark with an accusatory question that had, literally, nothing to do with my 2 word location statement.

And, of course we can be friends!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Now if we can get it nationwide!
    So far, when innocent civilians have shot cops in other states under similar circumstances, the courts have found them innocent of any wrongdoing, but yeah, a law wouldn’t hurt. For what it’s worth, it’s not a bad idea to aim for the pelvis if you decide to shoot someone busting through your door.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Supposedly they were there because of a 911 call that was made, that actually wasn't, and they somehow obtained a 7 year old video of someone beating on someone, at a totally different location, which they used as their evidence to justify breaking into their home.

Abby might be onto something with the swatting or revenge scenario. Either way, I'm looking forward to the truthful explanation.

I believe the police need to provide a valid reason for being there. They mentioned a wellness check. The chief mentioned they believed someone there may have been in immediate danger. That could easily be an exception to needing a warrant to enter. In my experience, a wellness check should come from a credible source, especially if something other than knocking on the door is to be warranted. And even then, it's usually something at the location that would point to an immediate danger that would allow for warrantless entry.

According to the father, the video was 7 years old and was recorded in another town. The "someone" who was beating was a known person, the father's son. And nobody was arrested for domestic that night. "That's because, according to Neal and Cooper [Neal's girlfriend], they [the son suspected of domestic abuse and his victim] were never at the house that night." To me, saying the son was not at the house that night suggests he is frequently there. The father said the son doesn't live there anymore. I'd be curious to know when he moved out. And what address does he use? What address is on his license or id? If the police were at the wrong address, why did they have that as the address? What information was there that should have pointed the police to a different address?

Interesting bit of information. Thanks for sharing

The resisting an officer statute in Louisiana only lists resisting a lawful arrest as a crime. It implies the right to resist an unlawful arrest.

§108. Resisting an officer
    A. Resisting an officer is the intentional interference with, opposition or resistance to, or obstruction of an individual acting in his official capacity and authorized by law to make a lawful arrest, lawful detention, or seizure of property or to serve any lawful process or court order when the offender knows or has reason to know that the person arresting, detaining, seizing property, or serving process is acting in his official capacity.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    On the whole "why that address" question, that could just be lazy cops, or unpurged information. If I search my name online, all my old addresses since 1982 come up at some point. And I constantly have to remind officers to get current addresses/phone numbers to update name records. I used to fill out citations with everything but the address, and ask to confirm that before filling it in and having them sign, because people are lazy and don't go to the DMV to update.

I would definitely like to hear more on what information they had to corroborate enough of a belief of danger to force that door.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I feel like a moat and a drawbridge would help greatly. Have a call box and the officers have to press the button and let you know what they are looking for. Maybe put some gators in the moat, so the Swat guys think twice.

I really feel like a fair number of these incidents are poorly reported on, not enough facts for us to truly understand what is going on. Then people "form opinions" and then decide to "die on that hill". Im sure the cops thought they were doing the right thing, and sure, once someone starts resisting they must be guilty, right?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom