LA's newest gun/hunting related laws

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tigerfan_9

1000 Yard Club
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    This certainly seems like something LSA should support - perhaps some legal mechanism for a transitional permit. It seems that if someone has been able to get a CHP in another state, then there ought to be a way for them to continue here, contingent upon getting a resident permit. Maybe have them apply in advance of the move by sending a copy of their current license to LSP to be registered into their Louisiana driver's license database? That would saitisfy LSP's worry of notification for an arrest - the info would already be on file.

not a bad idea....i think this should certainly be addressed.

tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I don't mean to come off as stupid but I've read all the posts here and am still confused about the status of Florida non-resident CCW permits in LA. Has LA banned Florida non-resident CCW permits as well as all other non-resident permits issued by other states?

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't mean to come off as stupid but I've read all the posts here and am still confused about the status of Florida non-resident CCW permits in LA. Has LA banned Florida non-resident CCW permits as well as all other non-resident permits issued by other states?

Yes, you now have a little over 1 year to get a Louisiana permit.

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    I just reread the Act again. I believe that it just invalidates the out-of-state non-resident permits for Louisiana RESIDENTS. The wording does not invalidate the use of an out-of-state permit by a resident of another state.

So, if you're a Louisiana Resident, you can only CCW with a Louisiana CHP.

If you are a resident of another state and have a non-resident permit from a state which has reciprocity with LA, you're OK to CCW in LA and must follow LA laws; e.g. a New York resident with a Florida non-Resident Permit is OK.

tea333

Dysfunctional Vet
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    At the Louisiana State Police Concealed Handgun Permit Unit website it says:

"A non-resident concealed handgun permit issued by another state is invalid in the state of Louisiana if issued to an individual who is a resident of this state has been denied a handgun permit or has been issued a handgun permit which is under revocation or suspension."

Has their website just not been updated?

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    At the Louisiana State Police Concealed Handgun Permit Unit website it says:

"A non-resident concealed handgun permit issued by another state is invalid in the state of Louisiana if issued to an individual who is a resident of this state has been denied a handgun permit or has been issued a handgun permit which is under revocation or suspension."

Has their website just not been updated?

I spoke with Sgt. Reavis the other day. He said that the website and paperwork is currently being updated and the changes will be posted soon.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    What sucks is that you have you live in LA for 6 months before you can qualify for a CHP in LA and then have to wait the processing time. There should be no "wait" period to be considered a resident if you move there and change DLs, etc. If I ever move back to LA from TX I won't be able to carry for probably 8-10 months....or am I missing something?

"Life is tough, but its tougher if you're stupid"
    -Sgt John M Stryker USMC, The Sands of Iwo Jima

I have this issue as I won't have lived back home in Louisiana after being away for 12 years the required 6 months until 8/8/2010. I did some digging and, at the time, I was living in Ruston. The Sheriff there, Mr. Mike Stone is a friend and he hooked me up with the Ruston Police CHP officer, Officer Curtis Hawkins (318)237-3589, and from him to the State Police CCP Unit with Supervisor Sgt. Reavis (225)925-4867 who advised me that my New Hampshire Non-Resident CHP Permit WILL cover me until HB60 (Act 346)'s date of August 15, 2011 so I have a hair over a year to get my Louisiana License in hand.

I am taking Jerry Miculek's next class in the Shreveport area but, because I am in a wheelchair, he may have to make a special class for me. I am waiting to hear back from him. If I am REAL lucky (I'm not), SB174 (Act 771) will be in effect and I may get a break! That would be nice as I am a disabled veteran of the US Navy! :x:

SB174 (Act 771) – would allow former military service members who have been out of the service greater than five years to qualify for the CCH permit upon completion of a reduced training course focusing on LA law and unauthorized access prevention. This is an effort to recognize their service experience.

I had JUST renewed my VA permit before moving down here from there but it was worthless as soon as moved into our first place of residence here. I had gotten the NH permit to cover me when traveling between home and Louisiana while we were away as it covered the states I passed through that my VA permit didn't cover. Besides, their permit WAS only $20/4 years and they had it in your hand a few weeks after you turned in all your paperwork!

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I think I will go stroll the neighborhood around St. Paul's H.S. this afternoon in celebration of our new found freedom. :)

Top Bottom