LA's newest gun/hunting related laws

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I think it was to keep residents who can't get a permit here from getting a non-resident permit from FL or UT which are honored by reciprocity. But if you're a legal resident of LA you need to have an LA permit.

This is part of it. Having training in LA laws is part of it. LA permits have more requirements than some other states. The LSP (and a lot of legislators) view this as a good thing. But one of the primary reasons that you never see mentioned is that the arrest of a LA permit holder is immediately reported to the LSP permit section. The arrest of a LA resident holding an out of state permit is not. The LSP believes that is important.

All in all it helped things go well for the carry bills you guys really support. ;)

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Why would LA not just honor the other permits until they expire, for States they honor through reciprocity?

Sounds to me like they just want to start making money off the permits sooner. I don't see any reason to stop honoring the other permits.

Oh, and I should mention that part of LSA's support of the bill was contingent on certain changes such as an effective date of August 15, 2011. We bought you guys an extra year.

Slidell Jim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010

david mitchell

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    near mandeville
    One more time. This is a solution to a none problem

Opinion
    John Lott: In Debate Over Gun-Carry Laws, Critics Are Quick to Shoot Down the Facts
    By John Lott
    Published June 24, 2010
    | FOXNews.com
    Print
    Email
    Comments (8)

Text Size
    People walking the streets armed with guns must be dangerous, right? A newly revised study by the Brady Campaign and the Violence Policy Center found that even those individuals who have legally obtained permits to carry concealed handguns are extremely dangerous. With millions of Americans already having been issued such permits from the various states, this is an important issue.
    The gun control organizations have frequently made these claims in the press, and Dennis Henigan, the vice president of the Brady Campaign, will likely make these claims again when he and I appear on John Stossel’s FoxBusiness show today. But the gun control advocates inaccurately describe many shooting cases, choosing to ignore that the majority of incidents involve people properly defending themselves.
    Over the past three years, the number of active permit holders in the United States has gone from about 5 million to more than 6.2 million today. The numbers issued by the state regulatory agencies show time after time that these permit holders abide by the law.
    Take Florida, which currently has the most concealed handgun permit holders in the country and is one of the two most populous states with right-to-carry laws. Between Oct. 1, 1987, and May 31 this year, permits had been issued to 1.8 million people. On average, the permits had been held for quite a long time, well over 10 years. For all those individuals across the more than 22 years of legal carry, there were only 167 cases where the permit was revoked for a firearms related violation, or about 0.01 percent of permit holders. While the state doesn't provide a precise breakdown of the reason for those revocations, the vast majority were apparently for people who accidentally carried their concealed handgun into a gun-free zone, such as an airport or school.
    Throughout the past 29 months, beginning January 2008, only three additional permit holders have had their permit revoked for a firearms-related violation. With more than 729,000 active permit holders, that is an annual revocation rate of 0.00017 percent.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    The crap about needing to know LA's laws is a copout, imo.

Are we required to read laws on any other topic before engaging in any of our other liberties? Why should we care what the LSP has to say about our liberties? They are an arm of the Executive branch, not the Judicial or Legislative. They enforce law, not make it, or decide it, or interpret it.

I don't need a CHP Instructor to tell me what the law is. I'm a quite capable of finding those laws myself, and as a responsible citizen, I have, and did before I even moved to this State, to know what I was getting in to. Luckily, Louisiana is a wonderful State with some of the best laws around, when it comes to these topics.

Doesn't mean it can't be improved, though. Not trying to bicker, here.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Are we required to read laws on any other topic before engaging in any of our other liberties? Why should we care what the LSP has to say about our liberties? They are an arm of the Executive branch, not the Judicial or Legislative. They enforce law, not make it, or decide it, or interpret it.

I don't need a CHP Instructor to tell me what the law is. I'm a quite capable of finding those laws myself, and as a responsible citizen, I have, and did before I even moved to this State, to know what I was getting in to. Luckily, Louisiana is a wonderful State with some of the best laws around, when it comes to these topics.

Well lets see I had to take a driving test about 40 yrs ago to get my DL and if I were younger I would have to take a class and pass a test to get a hunting license.
    So I guess if you are going to go around carrying something that could kill somebody if you wanted to the state might kind of want to to know if it's ok to smoke them.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington

The Louisiana Constitution specifically reserves for the state the right to govern the concealed carry of firearms. The legislature has passed rules governing concealed carry. If you don't like them, contact your legislator and ask him to sponsor a bill to change the rules. Otherwise, either abide by the rules or open carry.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    I said nothing about violating the rules. I just said I don't like them. And I already do contact my representatives. That just doesn't include the LSP.

tigerfan_9

1000 Yard Club
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    What sucks is that you have you live in LA for 6 months before you can qualify for a CHP in LA and then have to wait the processing time. There should be no "wait" period to be considered a resident if you move there and change DLs, etc. If I ever move back to LA from TX I won't be able to carry for probably 8-10 months....or am I missing something?

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    What sucks is that you have you live in LA for 6 months before you can qualify for a CHP in LA and then have to wait the processing time. There should be no "wait" period to be considered a resident if you move there and change DLs, etc. If I ever move back to LA from TX I won't be able to carry for probably 8-10 months....or am I missing something?

You are not missing anything. There is a problem with the concealed carry laws in this respect. In Louisiana you have to be a resident and have resided here for 6 months prior to application, and very soon any out of state permit will be invalid if you are a Louisiana resident.

If you move from Louisiana, your Louisiana permit shall be revoked, and it will be up to the state to which you move if you will be able to get a permit immediately. If other states are similar to Louisiana, then any time you move you will have a 6 month or longer period where you cannot legally carry concealed.

I have no problem with Louisiana requiring a Louisiana permit for Louisiana residents, but if you move here and have a valid permit from another state which Louisiana honors, it should be honored here for a reasonable time to allow you to apply here. Perhaps a one year exception would be reasonable.

tigerfan_9

1000 Yard Club
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    You are not missing anything. There is a problem with the concealed carry laws in this respect. In Louisiana you have to be a resident and have resided here for 6 months prior to application, and very soon any out of state permit will be invalid if you are a Louisiana resident.

If you move from Louisiana, your Louisiana permit shall be revoked, and it will be up to the state to which you move if you will be able to get a permit immediately. If other states are similar to Louisiana, then any time you move you will have a 6 month or longer period where you cannot legally carry concealed.

I have no problem with Louisiana requiring a Louisiana permit for Louisiana residents, but if you move here and have a valid permit from another state which Louisiana honors, it should be honored here for a reasonable time to allow you to apply here. Perhaps a one year exception would be reasonable.

I agree....there should be a 1 year exemption for you to get your paperwork filed and have your LA permit in hand. Or just don't require people to wait 6 months, you'd still have to wait for it to process but it would cut the total time down considerably.

Dogman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Sure it is. It helps keep people who get a FL permit from breaking LA CHP laws due to ignorance. The less stoopid things permit holders do, the less it hurts the whole.

But, speaking of stupid...

It continues to recognize non-resident FL licenses issued to citizens of other states, even if that citizen got his FL training in LA.

Duh.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    They have a "grace period" for out of state driver's licenses, upon moving to Louisiana, so it only makes sense that they do the same for gun rights, something I think we would mostly agree is a more sacred right than the ability to drive a motor vehicle on public roads.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    So after this legislative session, everyone should see the merits of becoming an LSA member. Some good stuff got passed because of them.

If you aren't a member, what are you waiting for? ;)

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    But, speaking of stupid...

It continues to recognize non-resident FL licenses issued to citizens of other states, even if that citizen got his FL training in LA.

Duh.

Don't expect a non-resident to know the LA gun laws unless they looked them up on their own.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado

A grace period might be good.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans

If it is a problem, LSA will work on it during the next session.

This certainly seems like something LSA should support - perhaps some legal mechanism for a transitional permit. It seems that if someone has been able to get a CHP in another state, then there ought to be a way for them to continue here, contingent upon getting a resident permit. Maybe have them apply in advance of the move by sending a copy of their current license to LSP to be registered into their Louisiana driver's license database? That would saitisfy LSP's worry of notification for an arrest - the info would already be on file.

Top Bottom