Leaded .22LR barrel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • graymo2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    New Orleans/ Baton Rouge
    Please help!

Yesterday, I took my brand new Ruger MkIII to the range and shot about 500-600 rounds through it. I tried this afternoon to clean the gun, and the barrel has so much stuff in it, i'm having problems getting a bore brush or bore snake through it. I've poured cleaning solvent down the barrel and used Q-tips to clean away as much of the trash from the muzzle and breach as possible.

Can anyone help me?

Born4spd

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    Dont shoot cheap bullets.

It doesnt have to be shiny perfect, if the dirty bore isn't messing with your accuracy/group sizes i wouldnt worry about it.\
    I keep reading that some rim fire guns work well with a dirty bore according to the fellas on rimfirecentral.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Use a solvent and chuck your cleaning rod/brush in a drill and work at it.
    Start using a decent lube down the barrel every so often while shooting

mrmccoy

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    Hammond
    what about that foaming bore cleaner? I have had pretty good luck with it and you can get it from wal-mart. find something to plug the barrel and fill it up a few times. not trying to be a smart ass but are you using a .22 cal brush?

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    What do you mean?

I see his line of thinking... the lead has a very low melting point, the barrel is very heat tolerant. Heat it it up nice and evenly and the lead will melt and pour right out... could work, hope there's no unburnt powder in there lol

graymo2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    New Orleans/ Baton Rouge
    what about that foaming bore cleaner? I have had pretty good luck with it and you can get it from wal-mart. find something to plug the barrel and fill it up a few times. not trying to be a smart ass but are you using a .22 cal brush?

I had an old .22 brush, and I tried that one(didn't work). Today, I bought a new .22 brush, and I can get it partially in, but the cleaning rod will get stuck. The cleaning rod label says for .22 cal and up. I have also tried a .22 bore snake, and that too will not go through. I have cleaned quite a bit of the barrel, but I still see a lot of trash in the middle. I'm going to WalMart and will try the bore foam Kroil and a .17 cleaning rod.

graymo2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    New Orleans/ Baton Rouge
    Ok, I just got back from Walmart, and no Kroil or foaming bore cleaner. I did get to pick up a .17 cal cleaning rod, but the adapter that puts the .22 brush on the end is not letting the rod enter the barrel all the way.

Academy here we go tomorrow morning.

graymo2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    New Orleans/ Baton Rouge

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    no just reading all the truth online, i have been looking to try it though but i cant find it locally.

I shoot alot of .22 in my AR with a ciener kit.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    22 rimfire brushes are smaller in O.D. than 22 centerfire brushes. Stay away from stainless steel brushes. Hoppes sells a lead remover cloth that works great. You should be able to find it at Wal-Mart or gun shops.

This stuff works great. Just about all I shoot is cast lead bullets in my handguns and its what I use when I get leading. 1 pack will last you forever.
    Just trim a small piece off and pass it through your bore like a patch.
    Cost is about $4.00. The price in the link below is high.

http://www.productwizard.com/hoppes-pl1215.html

Art

Last edited:
    Top Bottom