Liberty Safe gives passcode to federal authorities

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • V.Taltos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2023
    North Louisiana Swamps
    The larger problem with this is warrants have to be specific in searching ones home, they can not just have a general search for anything anywhere when there is only an arrest warrant for the individual.
    In this case which is ******** from bottom to top, the supposed crime was being at a protest states away from the persons residence to which would only be an arrest warrant for the individual person nothing pertaining to his / her residence or property owned within.

This is the dangerous part no one is speaking about, Not to mention misconduct and illegal.
    Having the way this lunatic run tyrannical run country operates today there may have been many charges we do not know about including ''Armed Insurrection'' which may have or not been pertaining to the search warrant of the individuals home and safe.
    Still all too much ******** and We the people are more worse off the more this crap continues
    Our entire system from top to bottom is just proving they can do whatever they want including shitting on our constitution / bill of rights and the Sheep will go along with it no matter what
    This last part just mystifies me. Thinking of the "old guys", even "old girls", there's no way they'd put up with this insanity! It's got to be the advanced electronic brainwashing from phones/screens. I can't think of anything else it could be?

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    GunRelated-Thanks for the ownership research. It continues to horrify me when the true ownership of many of these companies becomes known. I try not to be negative, but these cases like Liberty make me wonder if we, the deplorables, are not just doomed.

I have been contemplating the purchase of a gun safe and you have just narrowed the search a bit for me.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    GunRelated-Thanks for the ownership research. It continues to horrify me when the true ownership of many of these companies becomes known. I try not to be negative, but these cases like Liberty make me wonder if we, the deplorables, are not just doomed.

I have been contemplating the purchase of a gun safe and you have just narrowed the search a bit for me.

Don't thank me for the research, I just follow some like minded guys on Instagram that keep their eyes peeled for pertinent information.

I'm certain though, that there are better companies to give your money to than Liberty. Glad to help cross them off your list.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I recall reading on this forum about a manufacturer that replaced flooded safes. Was that Cannon ?
    Don't remember but most of the big brands have a Lifetime warranty for the heavy safes for fire, flood, or break-in. Of course, there is no guarantee for the contents just a repaired or new safe.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    A few things.
    1. If they have a search warrant they are getting in the safe. There is no question. Liberty saved them the trouble of drilling it out or prying it. @BluewaterLa if they have a search warrant for all electronic devices at said residence, they are going in the safe to exclude it as a hiding place for electronic devices. So although they dont have a search warrant for a locked container at the residence specifically they do for the electronic devices so they are able to look inside for specific items on the warrant.

2. When you buy a safe from one of these mass commercial brands, take the stupid sticker off the top back of it with the reference number code for the factory combo, buy the S&G combo reset tool, take the door cover off, and reset the damm combo yourself. Takes 15 minutes to complete. Then its your combo, not theirs.

3. Dont buy a RSC, buy a real safe. Get a TL-15 or TL-30 AMSEC.

4. I certainly dont agree with what Liberty did but I am curious who thought they would just say no and get arrested for failing to comply with a valid search warrant ? I cant see anyone at the factory saying no to the Fed's with a search warrant in hand. What they SHOULD do is get rid of the ridiculous lists, or use some type of encryption they cant even open (Think Apple Advanced Data Protection) that they cant open even if there is a valid search warrant. Then they dont have the means to break their own encryption, like Apple did so the Fed's would stop asking them.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    A few things.
    1. If they have a search warrant they are getting in the safe. There is no question. Liberty saved them the trouble of drilling it out or prying it. @BluewaterLa if they have a search warrant for all electronic devices at said residence, they are going in the safe to exclude it as a hiding place for electronic devices. So although they dont have a search warrant for a locked container at the residence specifically they do for the electronic devices so they are able to look inside for specific items on the warrant.

2. When you buy a safe from one of these mass commercial brands, take the stupid sticker off the top back of it with the reference number code for the factory combo, buy the S&G combo reset tool, take the door cover off, and reset the damm combo yourself. Takes 15 minutes to complete. Then its your combo, not theirs.

3. Dont buy a RSC, buy a real safe. Get a TL-15 or TL-30 AMSEC.

4. I certainly dont agree with what Liberty did but I am curious who thought they would just say no and get arrested for failing to comply with a valid search warrant ? I cant see anyone at the factory saying no to the Fed's with a search warrant in hand. What they SHOULD do is get rid of the ridiculous lists, or use some type of encryption they cant even open (Think Apple Advanced Data Protection) that they cant open even if there is a valid search warrant. Then they dont have the means to break their own encryption, like Apple did so the Fed's would stop asking them.
    The warrant was for the owner of the safe, not Liberty. They have even admitted this themselves and said that in the future they will wait for a subpoena. Regardless of future promises, this situation has shed too much light on who they actually are at the core. Their business will never be the same and hopefully will not recover.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    The warrant was for the owner of the safe, not Liberty. They have even admitted this themselves and said that in the future they will wait for a subpoena. Regardless of future promises, this situation has shed too much light on who they actually are at the core. Their business will never be the same and hopefully will not recover.
    I didnt read the article or info on it, just heard people talking generally. I see what you are saying. I am sure the feds would just electronically petition the judge for a warrant of Liberty's code system if they refused, not subpoena them. There is always a next step.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I didnt read the article or info on it, just heard people talking generally. I see what you are saying. I am sure the feds would just electronically petition the judge for a warrant of Liberty's code system if they refused, not subpoena them. There is always a next step.
    Well, as has been said, the database for those codes should not exist or at the least, they should be encrypted and accessible only to the owners.
    Even so, just handing them over willy nilly is a nono.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

You don't think a simple subpoena duces tecum would have compelled liberty to give up the information? It takes a few minutes to fill it out, especially if liberty has a legal department. If the court has electronic signatures, a few more minutes to get it signed. Making a wild guess, liberty saved the police 30-120 minutes. But they cost themselves a lot more in bad optics.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    ZomboMeme 7772.jpg

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    And liberty can fight the subpoena in court the same way Apple did. Or they can stop putting in a back door to peoples safes. Its called a safe for a reason.
    Lets say a customer buys a huge safe and a employee at the safe company decides to sell the info to a bad guy? There is no reason for a safe company to install a backdoor into your safe.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    And liberty can fight the subpoena in court the same way Apple did. Or they can stop putting in a back door to peoples safes. Its called a safe for a reason.
    Lets say a customer buys a huge safe and a employee at the safe company decides to sell the info to a bad guy? There is no reason for a safe company to install a backdoor into your safe.
    It's not really a "safe". It's an RSC...

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Do we know if Liberty did this under subpoena? Or was it under a request for assistance from one of the federal LEAs involved?
    There was never any subpoena.
    Where did that come from?
    There was only a warrant. A warrant that only involved the person of interest and had nothing to do with Liberty. If there was a subpoena I don’t think there would be any outrage.

Apologies if someone has already made the correction.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There was never any subpoena.
    Where did that come from?
    There was only a warrant. A warrant that only involved the person of interest and had nothing to do with Liberty. If there was a subpoena I don’t think there would be any outrage.

Apologies if someone has already made the correction.

No correction is needed because no erroneous information was presented. Rather, a knowledgeable question was asked. When the police need/want information from a private business, there are a few methods they can use. The first, and easiest, would be to ask for the information. In most cases, the business is under no legal obligation to cooperate. They can but they don't have to. If the business doesn't provide the information when asked, the police can provide the business with a court approved subpoena. That's just a letter from the court instructing the business to provide the information.

The questions in the post you replied to stems from the fact that the media is really good at being bad at reporting all of the facts, especially in the early stages after a newsworthy event. In this case, we knew the police had a warrant that allowed them to open the safe and we knew liberty provided the police with information. We didn't know what the warrant was specifically for and we didn't know why liberty provided information to the police. The question in the post you replied to was an inquiry regarding the latter unknown. There's a huge difference, especially in appearance, between liberty voluntarily providing the information and liberty being compelled to provide the information. With the lack of information as to which one it was, a knowledgeable person would see those questions as reasonable and appropriate.

Top Bottom