Limits to a Member's WTS Ads?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Currently there seems to be no limits to the number of WTS ads that any one member can have running at any one time. When I open the What's New tab I usually see a full page of WTS ads, and many are from the same person, either new ads or bumping old ads. It is really tiring to wade thru so many ads in order to get to what I'd consider "good" questions and conversations. As a result I rarely view past the first page.

Would you please consider limiting the number of WTS ads that a member can have active at any one time? I'd think a maximum limit (five for example) would be a good start and probably improve readership.

If a member wants more than the limit, suggest they become a vendor and pay accordingly.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Oct 22, 2012
    In practice, it sounds like a good idea but limiting ads is difficult to enforce and has a limited return.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Currently there seems to be no limits to the number of WTS ads that any one member can have running at any one time. When I open the What's New tab I usually see a full page of WTS ads, and many are from the same person, either new ads or bumping old ads. It is really tiring to wade thru so many ads in order to get to what I'd consider "good" questions and conversations. As a result I rarely view past the first page.

Would you please consider limiting the number of WTS ads that a member can have active at any one time? I'd think a maximum limit (five for example) would be a good start and probably improve readership.

If a member wants more than the limit, suggest they become a vendor and pay accordingly.

I feel your pain on this. I think an easier fix for this, a fix I've not been able to find, is a way to show What's New posts that are not in the marketplace. I don't know if this is built into the software or not but I believe a New Discussions tab and a New Marketplace tab would be a solution.

As far as limiting the number of ads per user, I don't know if that's possible through the software. That means it would need to be a written rule and enforcing it would fall upon the mods. Some people here may have trouble believing this but the mods are not perfect. We miss things. So when we miss something one member has done and we enforce the rule for another member, that other member, who can't accept that we are not perfect, thinks we must be targeting them personally.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    And some of those folks will post a new bump then delete all the old bumps so the thread looks like the ad and 1 bump instead of 20 bumps. I guess that's to make their ad look not old and unwanted.

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    I don't think there should be any limits on the number of ads but I do think an ad for every individual item, especially when we're talking AR parts, is unnecessary and folks should condense those into one post if they have more than a couple of parts to sell

gwpercle

Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I don't realy mind scrolling past the WTS - WTB ads because they are clearly marked ... just roll on by them , no big deal .
    I can see how trying to set "limits " is just about a no-win situation on the moderator's trying to enforce those limits .
    Keep them well marked and it doesn't bother me ... I just
    Keep On Keeping On !
    Gary

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I usually delete my old bumps . I do it just to clean up the thread and make it easier to view . I was told that it was ok to do .

It is ok to do. I sometimes forget you people can't see the deleted posts like us fancy mods can.

fancy.jpg

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    And some of those folks will post a new bump then delete all the old bumps so the thread looks like the ad and 1 bump instead of 20 bumps. I guess that's to make their ad look not old and unwanted.
    I had a member, in another thread, complain that he had to scroll through all of my 'bumps' just to see the ad.
    Apparently, when using Tapatalk, the most recent post shows up at the top, and one must scroll to get to the original post. (I don't use tapatalk. I'm going by what I was told )
    Since then I've been deleting bump posts to keep the ad clean.

@Blackhawk i keep thinking some of these folks may realize that by the time they have bumped their item 10+ times with no interest that their price may need to be adjusted or they are marketing to the wrong audience. But nope they just continue to get bumped over and over.

How do you know there has been no interest ? Are you assuming ? I have several current ads that people have expressed interest in. You can't see my PM's though.

I have had three items sell, after listing for several weeks. Sometimes people have to save to make a purchase. Some people only log on occasionally.

Most of my ads are OBO. People are welcome to make an offer. The worst that can happen is that I say no. I am never offended, and always thank them for their interest if I refuse their offer.

This is not a good economic climate to be a seller. People are hurting trying to pay for groceries, rent and fuel to get to work. Firearms are a luxury item that may take some time for the right buyer to come along.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That link worked. Will it repopulate new threads or do you have to type in the query every time?

It doesn't look like it's repopulating. It looks like it saves the search results for a particular search. I guess it saves that state of the board to allows the user to go to next page and previous page of results without having to deal with updates to the board.

That's the search threads search. I highlighted everything but the marketplace forums, sorted by date, and displayed the results by thread.

Top Bottom