Looking for CMP

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JustinR

Zombie Hunter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Lafayette
    I checked the CMP websites, and all they list for membership options are high school ROTC and Shooting clubs. I'm a bit too old for that, so I figured I'd ask if anyone knows how to join CMP without going through a local affiliate, since there doesn't seem to be one.

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I joined through a group called South Louisiana High Power Shooters. They have a Garand match at the Ascension Sheriff's range in Gonzales every couple months. You should be able to google the information. Contact person is George Serrat(?)

Once you have your match participation you need to belong to a club recognized by CMP. I use American Legion but it can be something like the GCA (Garand Collectors Association).

It seems like a lot of hoops to jump thru but when you satisfy all the requirements you get a lot of benefits i.e., nice rifles for a good price, milsurp ammo for prices that cannot be beat, good forum, and helping maintain shooting programs.

Good Luck

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    You can join the Louisiana Shooting Association with is affiliated with the CMP or as mentioned in earlier posts join the South Louisiana Highpower Club Inc. (George Serette) with shoots monthly 200yard reduced course matches at the Ascension Parish Sheriffs range on the 4th Sunday of every month. The cost to join the LSA is $20 per year and I believe that SLHP Inc. is $15.

BK

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Join LSA and show support for the state organization. You could also join the South Louisiana Highpower Association. There is a vintage rifle match at Honey Island range on Friday July 4th which could satisfy your shooting requirement.

I recommend that everyone get qualified to purchase from CMP. They greatly support shooting in the US, especially junior training. It is a worthy cause.

Dan

Last edited:

JustinR

Zombie Hunter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Lafayette
    I'll probably join the SLHA, and I already have a C&R to fulfill the requirement of "marksmanship or other related activity". Thanks a lot guys!!!

Basically, my only motivation in all of this is to get my hands on a Garand. I simply won't pay the $1300 asking price I keep seeing at gun shows and gun shops. That's a ridiculous amount of money for a military surplus rifle in my opinion, especially for a domestic one! But if I can benefit young shooters, or donate to a program that will expand shooting and bring in new shooters, then all the better!

Last edited:

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I think you will be glad you did what you had to do to purchase through them. A few years ago I got a very nice Winchester Garand that although a mixmaster it looks and shoots excellent. Good Luck

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom