looking for ideas for defense against dogs while cycling

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saint Peter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    morgan city, la
    I have started cycling again and have been having issues with peoples dogs coming off the property into street chasing not sure if they are gonna bite but don't feel like getting hit by a car avoiding the dog or flipping off my bike and getting hurt. I am not sure the best way to handle this I dont want to carry(pistol) while I'm peddling that would be interesting to try to shoot while weaving around but dont see it ending well , would prefer less lethal way for both parties and do not want to be involved with court issues either so anyone with experience or good ideas in this area please throw in yalls 2 cents thank you.

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Squirt gun with ammonia. ..dogs HATE ammonia. Its kept animals out of my trash for years.

I also use ammonia to keep bears out of my camp. About 1 oz of ammonia in a small paper dixie cup. Set a few around the camp and when the bears come through and knock em over they don't stay long.

Works great.

Last edited:

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I'll have to try the ammonia thing around the house for the critters. I've sprayed a Dalmatian once with pepper spray. Stopped it instantly. When I go for a walk I usually carry spray for that reason; of course I also have a G17 and a spare mag as usual, just in case. :) I used to Velcro a spray to my handle bar when I used to mountain bike a lot in commiefornia.

Last edited:

Saint Peter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    morgan city, la
    I was thinking of pepper spray just was not sure if the police got called if I would be in a bind not sure how carrying pepper spray works with the legal system also any preference on what spray? Never used it before but have been familiarized with cs from the service on many occasions

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    I honestly believe that too many people get hung up on laws when their life or families lives are on the line. It's pepper spray. No LEO or court worth a crap would have any problem with anyone defending their life with non-lethal means. I carry Freeze + P now. It also works great on 2 legged animals.

Last edited:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    For dogs you want a pepper spray that " fumes" or sprays in a mist or cloud as opposed to a tiny stream like the bear spray stuff. The reason being that dogs don't have facial pores like we do , it dies not have the lasting effect on them so you have to get in in their eyes, mouth, or inhaled in the nostrils to work. Plus the loud whoosh noise of it will startled it off as well.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    For dogs you want a pepper spray that " fumes" or sprays in a mist or cloud as opposed to a tiny stream like the bear spray stuff. The reason being that dogs don't have facial pores like we do , it dies not have the lasting effect on them so you have to get in in their eyes, mouth, or inhaled in the nostrils to work. Plus the loud whoosh noise of it will startled it off as well.

Just have to aim it. I could see the "fumes" being a problem if any wind is blowing at all you would run the risk of it getting in your own eyes.

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    Had a guy who used to ride his bike down my street. My dog at the time (think miniature greyhound, in reality a tall chihuahua) decided he would chase. The guy had something like a whip or something, as the dog closed in the rear he popped it over his head to the rear without even looking back. The dog let out a whelp and headed back to the house. Even though I owned the dog, it was funny to watch and he never chased a bike again. Could not find any evidence of injury to the dog, either.

BTW, he initiated the chase even though I was telling him not to, but he always listened to me after that.... :) Wish I knew what the guy used!!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    My brother used to carry a small but loud compressed air can horn on his bike that always worked. I wouldn't have thought it would, but I watched a very intent looking Rotwieller do an about face at the first blast and he was just about to get him a bite of leg meat.
    I've heard of the ammonia too. I'm wondering what effect a mix of ammonia and some of that liquid fire pepper juice (the kind used for cooking and concentrated into some rating equivalent of the sun's core I believe) would have when sprayed at any beast.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    A can of starting fluid, a neighbor down the street had a bike chasing dog. The wife comes back from a ride complaining about the dog chasing her and snapping at her feet. I grabbed a can of starting fluid with a straw on it and hopped on the bike. Sure enough, he was in the front yard and came running after the bike. I gave him a squirt straight up the snoot. After that he would stay in the front yard and wave as I went by.

Armbruster Armory

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Lafayette
    I agree with the water bottle method: the dog will instantly stop as it will be surprised to see something coming its way, which gives you plenty of time to get out of reach. If you have a leash law, a call to law enforcement or animal control is also warranted, otherwise, expect to repeat the same thing every time you ride there.

bulldog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Ruston
    Water bottle works for me...thought about those compressed air can horns, but the water bottle is working. I also hiss at them, that seems to give them pause while I get the water bottle out...

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Ding, ding, ding...finally we have a winner!

I've been biking for years and been chased too many times to count but never had a dog actually try to bite a moving bicycle.

Any change in speed (increase mainly) or direction will confuse a dog. Their brains are very very good at geometry it two moving objects meeting. But they assume constant speed (prey will run as fast as it can) and can't recalculate it that fast, especially on an increase in speed. That was taught in a motorcycle class I took once, believe it or not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom