looking for ideas for defense against dogs while cycling

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Make sure you correctly identify the dog. Remove yourself to a safe distance and get off your bike. Carefully and without attracting attention, follow the dog home. When the owner comes out to retrieve the dog the owner in the face with pepper spray. This is the important part, give the dog a treat. I like the buggy whip idea and shooting the owner in the buttock with a pellet gun appropriately pumped is also a strong deterrent. You shouldn't have to repeat the process but be ready to do so as some people just have a stupid streak. An over imaginative mind at work.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I used to carry a can of wasp spray in a water bottle carrier for rides around town. Great tool. It'll take the paint clean off a Porsche that runs a stop sign. Works for dogs too, and most any other critter, including wasps.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I used to carry a can of wasp spray in a water bottle carrier for rides around town. Great tool. It'll take the paint clean off a Porsche that runs a stop sign. Works for dogs too, and most any other critter, including wasps.

or humans. has been a last resort weapon of choice in some very liberal parts more than once.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I bike a lot and never have problems with dogs biting me. Pepper spray works, but just pedal faster. You can quickly get away from a dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benh
    Top Bottom