Looooooong Form 4 Wait Times

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • e30andrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2024
    Youngsville, LA
    That’s crazy! Last year my SiCo 46M took 285 days. Last month my HuxWrx 556K took 3 days. 2 weeks ago my Dead Air Sierra 5 took 2 days…. I wonder why it’s taking yours so long…..?
    I wish I knew man lol. Some people are still getting 2-3 days, while other people seem to be in the 30-40 day range. Back before I had my CCW, my background checks would take 30-40 mins, while other dudes were basically instant, so I figured there was some correlation there. I've also lived in 5 different states over the last ~20 years, two of which were very strict (CA and IL) so maybe that has something to do with it. I am just happy I got this one down to <1 month lol.

datboyhieu01

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    May 23, 2015
    Metairie
    I know ppl who are doing the individual so their cans get approved faster then change it to a trust and pay another $200 for the conveniences so they can still use it while it’s getting changed individual to a trust

e30andrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2024
    Youngsville, LA
    That is def one way to do it if you like throwing money away lol. Seems like trusts are coming down into the 2-3 month range these days, while individuals can be a few days to a month. I cant see it being worth an extra $200 for a couple months, but it's not my money.

datboyhieu01

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    May 23, 2015
    Metairie
    That is def one way to do it if you like throwing money away lol. Seems like trusts are coming down into the 2-3 month range these days, while individuals can be a few days to a month. I cant see it being worth an extra $200 for a couple months, but it's not my money.

Agreed, I know Individuals are getting under a week time usually for it but some ppl can’t wait lol

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    I wish I knew man lol. Some people are still getting 2-3 days, while other people seem to be in the 30-40 day range. Back before I had my CCW, my background checks would take 30-40 mins, while other dudes were basically instant, so I figured there was some correlation there. I've also lived in 5 different states over the last ~20 years, two of which were very strict (CA and IL) so maybe that has something to do with it. I am just happy I got this one down to <1 month lol.
    Well reading this, I would most certainly say that I have had my CHL for almost 7 years and I have lived here my entire life minus my military service… I think that has a lot to do with it!

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Ok please explain to me why anyone would do a trust over an individual. I only know about the individual forms, so take it easy on me.
    all you need to do is google to get a well defined explanation. My NFA items are done as an individual, because in my situation it was simpler and faster. If you have no direct heirs, its the way to go imo. But a trust allows you to designate "trustees" who can also legally use and transport your NFA items (wife, children, other family members). And when you die, NFA item possession to another trustee is easy and direct. To my knowledge, most do trust filing/ownership. It involves setting up a trust first, the need for an attorney, and related fees and costs.

edit: an important decision factor too is how large your NFA collection will be, your overall investment in the end. A couple items or perhaps ten or twenty.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ok please explain to me why anyone would do a trust over an individual. I only know about the individual forms, so take it easy on me.

It used to be that only you needed prints and stuff and everyone on the trust was authorized to have the items in their possession. That was changed. Now everyone listed on the trust at the time a new item is added to the trust must submit their prints and stuff. But adding people to your trust and removing people from your trust is as easy as notarizing a form indicating such. I got my trust before the change to who needs to submit stuff. After the change, I removed everyone else. When I add another item to the trust, I include the notarized form with the paperwork. If at some point in the future I feel I need to add anyone to the trust, I can notarize a form that adds them to the trust.

One of the members on here, jccypress, presents himself as a Gun Trust Lawyer. His email address is LaGunTrust@gmail.com. You can send him a message or an email if you really want to know more. He's out of Baton Rouge and may know someone in your area if you don't want to make the drive. He set my trust up. If you do decide the trust is the way to go and you do go through him, you may want to casually bring up your military service.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    It used to be that only you needed prints and stuff and everyone on the trust was authorized to have the items in their possession. That was changed. Now everyone listed on the trust at the time a new item is added to the trust must submit their prints and stuff. But adding people to your trust and removing people from your trust is as easy as notarizing a form indicating such. I got my trust before the change to who needs to submit stuff. After the change, I removed everyone else. When I add another item to the trust, I include the notarized form with the paperwork. If at some point in the future I feel I need to add anyone to the trust, I can notarize a form that adds them to the trust.

One of the members on here, jccypress, presents himself as a Gun Trust Lawyer. His email address is LaGunTrust@gmail.com. You can send him a message or an email if you really want to know more. He's out of Baton Rouge and may know someone in your area if you don't want to make the drive. He set my trust up. If you do decide the trust is the way to go and you do go through him, you may want to casually bring up your military service.
    Ok, awesome thank you. So basically the trust makes it a community suppressor that everyone on the trust can use whenever they want right?

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    all you need to do is google to get a well defined explanation. My NFA items are done as an individual, because in my situation it was simpler and faster. If you have no direct heirs, its the way to go imo. But a trust allows you to designate "trustees" who can also legally use and transport your NFA items (wife, children, other family members). And when you die, NFA item possession to another trustee is easy and direct. To my knowledge, most do trust filing/ownership. It involves setting up a trust first, the need for an attorney, and related fees and costs.

edit: an important decision factor too is how large your NFA collection will be, your overall investment in the end. A couple items or perhaps ten or twenty.
    Oh ok, gotcha! I was wondering about when it is my time to go how my son would obtain my toys lol…

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Oh ok, gotcha! I was wondering about when it is my time to go how my son would obtain my toys lol…

This pertains to an NFA item registered as "individual", not under a trust. Copied from a google search just now:

"When someone who owns National Firearms Act (NFA) items dies, the executor of their estate must follow certain steps to transfer the items to their heirs:
    1. Secure the items: Keep the NFA items in a safe place until the transfer is complete.
    2. File ATF Form 5: The executor must complete a tax-free Form 5 application for each NFA item and submit it to the ATF for approval. The application will need to include the deceased's death certificate and a copy of their will if they named heirs.
    3. Transfer the items: Once the application is approved, the executor can transfer the items to the heirs. If the heir is an individual, they will need to provide their fingerprints on FBI Form Page 2 FD-258 along with the transfer application. The ATF will not approve the application if any federal, state, or local laws prohibit the heir from receiving or possessing the firearm."
    So there is a method to transfer say to your son upon your death, executor completes and submit Form 5 to the ATF. This transfer is tax exempt, no additional cost. Spell it out in your will, who gets what. And of course they have to be legally able to own such an item.

70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    This pertains to an NFA item registered as "individual", not under a trust. Copied from a google search just now:

"When someone who owns National Firearms Act (NFA) items dies, the executor of their estate must follow certain steps to transfer the items to their heirs:
    1. Secure the items: Keep the NFA items in a safe place until the transfer is complete.
    2. File ATF Form 5: The executor must complete a tax-free Form 5 application for each NFA item and submit it to the ATF for approval. The application will need to include the deceased's death certificate and a copy of their will if they named heirs.
    3. Transfer the items: Once the application is approved, the executor can transfer the items to the heirs. If the heir is an individual, they will need to provide their fingerprints on FBI Form Page 2 FD-258 along with the transfer application. The ATF will not approve the application if any federal, state, or local laws prohibit the heir from receiving or possessing the firearm."
    So there is a method to transfer say to your son upon your death, executor completes and submit Form 5 to the ATF. This transfer is tax exempt, no additional cost. Spell it out in your will, who gets what. And of course they have to be legally able to own such an item.
    That’s exactly what I needed. Thank you!

WilsonCombatant

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    New Orleans
    Still waiting on forms from January and February, starting to feel like an anxious child. I asked an employee at the FFL if I can do anything to complain about wait times. He told me to call my congressman. My congressman is a democrat. Smh

Top Bottom