Lots of new members

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    I've noticed over the past several months that there are numerous new members. This is a great thing. However it's scary and kind of sketchy. A vast majority of these new members seem to be joining, only to post ads in the classifieds. I don't know about other people but I for one rely on feedback given on this site, post count, reputation, etc... To decide whether or not I want to meet up with a person to sell/purchase a firearm. It's a comfort thing. Kind of, do your homework before meeting a random person with a gun" type deal. Should there be a required post count or anything before someone can use the classifieds? At least so they can establish some sort of presence if nothing else?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    seems like either the hackers have stepped up there game or this format is a little easer for them to infuriate and get into... there has been a rash of hackers and i am getting alot of messages/emails/text from out of town and weird people from this site now

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    If someone sends you a text asking to send a google verification number, don't do it. They can take over your phone number. Report their number to the FTC, Federal Trade Commision.

I wouldn't doubt that this could be a ploy by the unLiberals to wage cyber war against gun owners as opposed to scams by Nigerian Princes to build up their personal kingdoms.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I don’t find it all that surprising. Several people became first time gun owners and still are to this day. A lot of these folks panicked and bought multiple firearms and ammo and don’t actually use them or train with them in any way. I think we’re going to keep seeing more and more people pop up with new accounts selling guns that were never fired and ammo to go along with it.

As far as the hackers go it does seem like we also have an increase in them as well. Hackers and just some odd, sketchy people wanting to buy guns or items that were listed and sold several months ago.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    Well, one should always be careful with meeting up with anyone to buy, sell, or trade. Luckily, I haven’t interacted with any people I wouldn’t mind going to the range and shooting with but I can see how it happens. I think you can get a sense of how things will go based on the communication before the meeting. Maybe that is how I have avoided a bad experience plus looking at their posts and ratings.

Also, we all should expect the classifieds influx due to all the panic buying that was done. People either now don’t want a firearm in their house or maybe even over extended themselves with the buying and want to get some money back.

I took a break from here for two reasons. First, I was laid off and in order to not be tempted with wanting new or more firearm items I stayed away. I hate to say I came back and immediately put up an ad but I think I have a long enough history that it was all good. Second, and I hate even saying this because I might be jumped on but the site became very political. I won’t say my political leanings but I do believe in responsible gun ownership and the right to protect myself and my family. There were so many things being talked about that was not firearm related. When I first joined there was a lot of good information and I learned some very useful stuff. People helped each other with questions and advice. There were also picture threads for handguns, rifles, and knives and that was fun. I don’t come here to discuss politics because that is too hot a topic. I come here for the love of shooting and firearms. I have very fond memories of going to shoot with my dad when I was a boy and learning proper safety and respect for firearms. I know there is a political connection with firearms but I want to know how to be a better shooter and hopefully learn how to maintain, upgrade or just work on my handguns and rifles. Maybe I come here for a different reason then some but shooting and firearms are a hobby and an enjoyable pastime for me. I think I have become a better shooter and gun owner and enjoy seeing new things.

Just my opinion.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    not talking about the sellers... talking about the weirdos saying, i wanna buy everything you got and all your ammo when can i get it ect

puritanize

Administrator
    Admin
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    Sanger, Texas
    seems like either the hackers have stepped up there game or this format is a little easer for them to infuriate and get into... there has been a rash of hackers and i am getting alot of messages/emails/text from out of town and weird people from this site now

It's a game step up for sure. Scammers are stepping up efforts and their game. Hence the buy/sell warnings. It has hit tons of forums, gun, non-gun, etc. Some massive places that have air-tight extra security and so on. I caught on to it happening luckily on the old format and stopped it once.

2 step verification stops it, people hate it though.

Also, people, many use pwned passwords. This is likely where the issue is.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I refer at least one person a week to this forum. Usually because of the classifieds, but I do mention the rest of the forum, and that the bulk of the members that I have met being good people. The people l refer are good, ordinary folks.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    To be honest, 99% of the forums I’ve been part of I’ve came to looking for the classifieds, then like some one else said I stayed due to the community
    That’s exactly why I signed up here and I liked it so I stuck around. I don’t understand the guys that get upset when someone says they are here just for the classified.

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    Several of my friends switched to BS once La Sportsman became a pay to play
    forum. I myself joined BS years ago for the classifieds as I believe many of us did back then. We really liked it and stayed.

Matthewk1114

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Slidell
    Participating in a forum type discussion is not everyones cup-of-tea. I only came here for the classifieds per someones recommendation. And I occasionally chime in to stir the pot on a forum post or two. Other than the ALREADY mandatory “HI IM A NEWBIE” post why make it that much harder for someone to just sell you or sell their items. Facebook, Armslist and other sites are already becoming a chore or blatantly against us 2a advocates to use. Dont turn this site into another flop of a gun trader.

In addition theres mutliple ways to vet who you are buying from or selling to. Its always YOUR responsibility to make smart responsible decisions before you hand over greenbacks to a random stranger. Just because someone is new doesnt make them a scam artist. You were probably new to this site at one point as was I.. it took me a while to earn good feedback which some of you more seasoned members still think is not enough reputation, but how else does a new person gain positive reputation.. they have to make deals and keep at it and using the site lol..

Im going to leave this as Exhibit A as to why I obstain from most forum posts and stick to the classifieds:

Thread 'Free Palestine '
    https://bayoushooter.com/threads/free-palestine.216156/

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom