Louisiana Constitutional Carry Bills Pass.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Louisiana: Constitutional Carry Bills Have Now Passed Both Legislative Chambers
    WEDNESDAY, MAY 5, 2021 Louisiana: Constitutional Carry Bills Have Now Passed Both Legislative Chambers

Recently, the Louisiana House passed Constitutional Carry legislation, House Bill 596. Its passage, as well as the Senate’s passage of Senate Bill 118, mark the success of a Constitutional Carry measure passing in both chambers of the Louisiana Legislature, all but ensuring a version will hit Governor Edwards’ desk. Both measures were passed from their chamber of origin with bipartisan, supermajority support. At the same time, the House also passed concealed carry legislation, House Bill 124.

Constitutional Carry Legislation, Senate Bill 118 and House Bill 596, remove the requirement for law-abiding individuals to obtain a concealed handgun permit before being allowed to carry concealed, a handgun for self-defense. This important legislation ensures that citizens are able to exercise their right to self-defense without government red tape or delays. These measures do not affect previously issued carry permits, and allow citizens who still wish to obtain a permit in order to carry in other states recognizing Louisiana permits, to do so. House Bill 596 was amended in committee to provide free optional online training for those who wish to view it before obtaining a permit.

House Bill 124 clarifies Louisiana’s concealed carry laws that cause individuals with a concealed carry permit to possibly be arrested for carrying a knife, while also lawfully carrying a firearm for self-defense. This is not the intent of the law, and HB 124 clears this up.

Stay-tuned to NRA-ILA Alerts and your email for more information as these measures advance through the legislature. Please be sure to stay in contact with your State Lawmakers, urging their support of these important measures.​

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    Louisiana: Constitutional Carry Bills Have Now Passed Both Legislative Chambers
    WEDNESDAY, MAY 5, 2021 Louisiana: Constitutional Carry Bills Have Now Passed Both Legislative Chambers

Recently, the Louisiana House passed Constitutional Carry legislation, House Bill 596. Its passage, as well as the Senate’s passage of Senate Bill 118, mark the success of a Constitutional Carry measure passing in both chambers of the Louisiana Legislature, all but ensuring a version will hit Governor Edwards’ desk. Both measures were passed from their chamber of origin with bipartisan, supermajority support. At the same time, the House also passed concealed carry legislation, House Bill 124.

Constitutional Carry Legislation, Senate Bill 118 and House Bill 596, remove the requirement for law-abiding individuals to obtain a concealed handgun permit before being allowed to carry concealed, a handgun for self-defense. This important legislation ensures that citizens are able to exercise their right to self-defense without government red tape or delays. These measures do not affect previously issued carry permits, and allow citizens who still wish to obtain a permit in order to carry in other states recognizing Louisiana permits, to do so. House Bill 596 was amended in committee to provide free optional online training for those who wish to view it before obtaining a permit.

House Bill 124 clarifies Louisiana’s concealed carry laws that cause individuals with a concealed carry permit to possibly be arrested for carrying a knife, while also lawfully carrying a firearm for self-defense. This is not the intent of the law, and HB 124 clears this up.

Stay-tuned to NRA-ILA Alerts and your email for more information as these measures advance through the legislature. Please be sure to stay in contact with your State Lawmakers, urging their support of these important measures.​
    Excellent. So, now do they do some sort of reconciliation between the bills passed in House and Senate before they send it off to the Governor and prepare to make an run at override?

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I’m hoping Texas doesn’t kill the intent of the bill with amendments. May 31 is the deadline. These amendments could be the *poison pill* used to run out the clock. If this was to happen I would bet it was a back room deal between both sides to prevent it from passing while saving face with their constituents. The vote was along party lines.

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    Hallelujah! Really good news for Louisiana!

What has to be done now? Any news about the governor changing him mind now amended and bipartisan?

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Texas does not have a say in Louisiana Law.

I’m hoping Texas doesn’t kill the intent of the bill with amendments. May 31 is the deadline. These amendments could be the *poison pill* used to run out the clock. If this was to happen I would bet it was a back room deal between both sides to prevent it from passing while saving face with their constituents. The vote was along party lines.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Excellent. So, now do they do some sort of reconciliation between the bills passed in House and Senate before they send it off to the Governor and prepare to make an run at override?

Both Bills have only passed their respective chambers of origination. And HB596 passed 72-28. That is not enough to override a veto. They have a long way to go. But, to answer your question; yes. They would most likely join them together for the final push.

Hallelujah! Really good news for Louisiana!

What has to be done now? Any news about the governor changing him mind now amended and bipartisan?

He's already said he was not going to sign any of them. However, he also said that the no training requirements were his main reason for objection, So.........! I guess he possibly maybe could come around if training is mandated, but that reduces the Bills' intents to more permission slips.

The bottom line is, we have to sway more Legislators to vote yes for one of these. Only 1 democrat voted yes to HB118 and he was white! You can interpret that the way you wish.

Last edited:

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    Both Bills have only passed their respective chambers of origination. And HB596 passed 72-28. That is not enough to override a veto. They have a long way to go. But, to answer your question; yes. They would most likely join them together for the final push.
    I thought that 2/3 was required for override? 72-28 does the trick. Am I missing something? Did some miss the vote?

Helmsman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    2/3 of 104 is 70 (well, 69 1/3 but I afraid we won't find 1/3 of a rep) so yes, 72 is enough.

Last edited:

dangerousdon

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    I could be wrong here so someone please correct me if I am. Once bills are sent to the Governor to sign, the Legislature is out of session (I think). If the Governor vetoes the Constitutional Carry Bill (which he said he would), I believe that the Legislature would have to call a special session to override the Governor's veto. If this is the case, does anyone really think that the Legislature is going to call a special session?

While I would love to see the Leg override the Gov on this...I just don't think a Special Session would be called.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I could be wrong here so someone please correct me if I am. Once bills are sent to the Governor to sign, the Legislature is out of session (I think). If the Governor vetoes the Constitutional Carry Bill (which he said he would), I believe that the Legislature would have to call a special session to override the Governor's veto. If this is the case, does anyone really think that the Legislature is going to call a special session?

While I would love to see the Leg override the Gov on this...I just don't think a Special Session would be called.

It is very hard to override a Governor’s veto here! According to history, we’ve only had 2 successful veto overrides here in Louisiana. There were no successful veto overrides from 1812-1991.

It’s going to be tough!

Good news for Texans though, their Constitutional carry bills passed their Senate!
    Governor Abbot said he WILL sign it!

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    You are correct. I bungled the math.
    Roger that. Thank you, sir.

New to LA, so wasn’t 100% sure if 2/3 was the correct answer.

Hopefully they will be able to pull off a veto if “Taco” Behl Edwards does in fact veto this

Last edited:

BDill

What's This For Again
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 28, 2016
    Destrehan, LA
    FYI, SB 118 is on the agenda for the House committee on Tuesday May 18th! If it gets through there should be on the House Floor for vote shortly after.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    FYI, SB 118 is on the agenda for the House committee on Tuesday May 18th! If it gets through there should be on the House Floor for vote shortly after.

This one should make it out of the Committee, and subsequently should pass the House by the 2/3 majority; but the longshot will be whether or not the powers that be will call a session to override Edwards!?!

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    This one should make it out of the Committee, and subsequently should pass the House by the 2/3 majority; but the longshot will be whether or not the powers that be will call a session to override Edwards!?!
    Who would be the powers that be? Would it be the Speaker of the House?

Senate Majority leader? Just want to know whose phones to light up in the event that it comes to that. Thank you.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Who would be the powers that be? Would it be the Speaker of the House?

Senate Majority leader? Just want to know whose phones to light up in the event that it comes to that. Thank you.

Louisiana is an "Auto-Veto Session" state. There are parameters that must be met such as time frames when the Bill arrives to Governor, whether the Session has adjourned or not, how many days he has to veto or sign, etc.

I believe, but not certain; there is a way to override a veto without having a special Session.

hkennc

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Gonzales
    §18. Gubernatorial Action on Bills; Sign, Failure to Sign, Veto; Veto Session

Section 18.(A) Gubernatorial Action. If the governor does not approve a bill, he may veto it. A bill, except a joint resolution, shall become law if the governor signs it or if he fails to sign or veto it within ten days after delivery to him if the legislature is in session on the tenth day after such delivery, or within twenty days after delivery if the tenth day after delivery occurs after the legislature is adjourned.

(B) Veto Message. If the governor vetoes a bill, he shall return it to the legislature, with his veto message within twelve days after delivery to him if the legislature is in session. If the governor returns a vetoed bill after the legislature adjourns, he shall return it, with his veto message, as provided by law.

(C) Veto Session. (1) A bill vetoed and returned and subsequently approved by two-thirds of the elected members of each house shall become law. The legislature shall meet in veto session in the state capital at noon on the fortieth day following final adjournment of the most recent session, to consider all bills vetoed by the governor. If the fortieth day falls on Sunday, the session shall convene at noon on the succeeding Monday. No veto session shall exceed five calendar days, and any veto session may be finally adjourned prior to the end of the fifth day upon a vote of two-thirds of the elected members of each house.

(2) No veto session shall be held if a majority of the elected members of either house declare in writing that a veto session is unnecessary. The declaration must be received by the presiding officer of the respective houses at least five days prior to the day on which the veto session is to convene.

Acts 1989, No. 841, §1, approved Oct. 7, 1989, eff. Nov. 7, 1989.

Top Bottom