Louisiana Constitutional Carry Bills Pass.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Universal Citation: LA Rev Stat § 14:95.2
    §95.2. Carrying a firearm, or dangerous weapon, by a student or nonstudent on school property, at school-sponsored functions or firearm-free zone

LRS 14:95.2 Almost no one is aware of C. (5) but it must stay within the vehicle. If you step out with the pistol you are then in violation of La. Law.

A. Carrying a firearm, or dangerous weapon as defined in R.S. 14:2, by a student or nonstudent on school property, at a school sponsored function, or in a firearm-free zone is unlawful and shall be defined as possession of any firearm or dangerous weapon, on one's person, at any time while on a school campus, on school transportation, or at any school sponsored function in a specific designated area including but not limited to athletic competitions, dances, parties, or any extracurricular activities, or within one thousand feet of any school campus.

B. For purposes of this Section, the following words have the following meanings:

(1) "School" means any elementary, secondary, high school, vocational-technical school, college, or university in this state.

(2) "Campus" means all facilities and property within the boundary of the school property.

(3) "School bus" means any motor bus being used to transport children to and from school or in connection with school activities.

(4) "Nonstudent" means any person not registered and enrolled in that school or a suspended student who does not have permission to be on the school campus.

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:

(1) A federal, state, or local law enforcement officer in the performance of his official duties.

(2) A school official or employee acting during the normal course of his employment or a student acting under the direction of such school official or employee.

(3) Any person having the written permission of the principal.

(4) The possession of a firearm occurring within one thousand feet of school property and entirely on private property, or entirely within a private residence, or in accordance with a concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to R.S. 40:1379.1 or R.S. 40:1379.3.

(5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

(6) Any student carrying a firearm to or from a class, in which he is duly enrolled, that requires the use of the firearm in the class.

(7) A student enrolled or participating in an activity requiring the use of a firearm including but not limited to any ROTC function under the authorization of a university.

(8) A student who possesses a firearm in his dormitory room or while going to or from his vehicle or any other person with permission of the administration.

D.(1) Whoever commits the crime of carrying a firearm, or a dangerous weapon as defined in R.S. 14:2, by a student or nonstudent on school property, at a school-sponsored function, or in a firearm-free zone shall be imprisoned at hard labor for not more than five years.

(2) Whoever commits the crime of carrying a firearm, or a dangerous weapon as defined in R.S. 14:2, on school property or in a firearm-free zone with the firearm or dangerous weapon being used in the commission of a crime of violence as defined in R.S. 14:2(B) on school property or in a firearm-free zone, shall be fined not more than two thousand dollars, or imprisoned, with or without hard labor, for not less than one year nor more than five years, or both. Any sentence issued pursuant to the provisions of this Paragraph and any sentence issued pursuant to a violation of a crime of violence as defined in R.S. 14:2(B) shall be served consecutively. Upon commitment to the Department of Public Safety and Corrections after conviction for a crime committed on school property, at a school-sponsored function or in a firearm-free zone, the department shall have the offender evaluated through appropriate examinations or tests conducted under the supervision of the department. Such evaluation shall be made within thirty days of the order of commitment.

E. Lack of knowledge that the prohibited act occurred on or within one thousand feet of school property shall not be a defense.

F.(1) School officials shall notify all students and parents of the impact of this legislation and shall post notices of the impact of this Section at each major point of entry to the school. These notices shall be maintained as permanent notices.

(2)(a) If a student is detained by the principal or other school official for violation of this Section or the school principal or other school official confiscates or seizes a firearm or concealed weapon from a student while upon school property, at a school function, or on a school bus, the principal or other school official in charge at the time of the detention or seizure shall immediately report the detention or seizure to the police department or sheriff's department where the school is located and shall deliver any firearm or weapon seized to that agency.

(b) The confiscated weapon shall be disposed of or destroyed as provided by law.

(3) If a student is detained pursuant to Paragraph (2) of this Subsection for carrying a concealed weapon on campus, the principal shall immediately notify the student's parents.

(4) If a person is arrested for carrying a concealed weapon on campus by a university or college police officer, the weapon shall be given to the sheriff, chief of police, or other officer to whom custody of the arrested person is transferred as provided by R.S. 17:1805(B).

G. Any principal or school official in charge who fails to report the detention of a student or the seizure of a firearm or concealed weapon to a law enforcement agency as required by Paragraph (F)(2) of this Section within seventy-two hours of notice of the detention or seizure may be issued a misdemeanor summons for a violation hereof and may be fined not more than five hundred dollars or sentenced to not more than forty hours of community service, or both. Upon successful completion of the community service or payment of the fine, or both, the arrest and conviction shall be set aside as provided for in Code of Criminal Procedure Article 894(B).

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    We need to keep pushing them. Otherwise, they will just pass it again next year and it will be vetoed again. The line needs to be drawn right here.

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    We need to keep pushing them. Otherwise, they will just pass it again next year and it will be vetoed again. The line needs to be drawn right here.
    Damn right! Call the House and Senate leaders as well as you State Rep and State Senators

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    Reposting this for those that may have missed it

Contact list:

Senate President, Patrick Page Cortez
    101 W Farrel Road
    Bldg 5, Suite 100
    Lafayette, LA 70508
    Phone: (337)993-7430

Speaker Clay Schexnayder
    6473 Highway 44
    Suite 205
    Gonzales, LA 70737
    phone (225) 342-7263

and it probably doesn’t hurt to hit up your State Rep and State Senator in anticipation of needing an override

lets light up the phone lines and their inboxes

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    Clancy DuBois on Chanel 4 WWL just gave a opinion commentary, which I would say is diseginuous of him to say the least. He has never though struck me as fair and balanced.

He cried(pitty party), in my opinion as if the only reason the lawmakers would call a veto session is to embarrass the Governor.

He also said about SB118 is that it would allow citizens to carry concealed without training. He fails to point out that presently it is citizens right to carry openly, without training.

Please catch the rebroadcast and send emails to the station, exposing his bias.

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    Clancy DuBois on Chanel 4 WWL just gave a opinion commentary, which I would say is diseginuous of him to say the least. He has never though struck me as fair and balanced.

He cried(pitty party), in my opinion as if the only reason the lawmakers would call a veto session is to embarrass the Governor.

He also said about SB118 is that it would allow citizens to carry concealed without training. He fails to point out that presently it is citizens right to carry openly, without training.

There is the issue…trusting any mainstream news. They are all biased to the point of being propaganda and the lies emanate from them effortlessly . Local news used to just deal in facts. Those days are long gone.

They are fed their talking points and what stories to cover and how to cover them same as the national networks.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Many people, like Mr. Dubos, are avid hunters, have rifles and shotguns, and know how to use them. But, don't discount their inexperience and/or unfamiliarity with handguns; and hence, their ignorance of the reasons people want this to pass. I have several friends who hunt with bows, rifles, and shotguns; that have no knowledge of handguns and no intent of ever carrying one. Hell, many don't even own a handgun. Their willingness to downplay (or in some cases disparage), this effort to pass Constitutional Carry may stem from their fear of the guns. Perhaps they don't think twice about the rifles and shotguns they willing choose to hunt with, because they don't require a permission slip to shoot?!? If those guns did, you might see a diffeernt mindset from some people.

For me, this about needing permission! At my age, I don't need, require, or want to ask for permission from any government body. Particularly, a government body controlled by whack-job phony liberals. I would bet that I am more proficient with my guns than most people offering the "required" training that goes with the permission slip.

Democrats make it a political issue, because they view any expansion of personal freedoms and further protections of Constitutional Rights as an affront to their power. This argument is really simple: I can legally carry a loaded pistol on my belt without permission or any questions asked as long as you can see it; but I need permission, have to be provide my fingerprints to a data base (even though I am not a criminal), have to pay for that, and have to pay for the training; if I buy a shirt from Untucket.com. That is stupid!

I think Mr Dubos is incorrect on this however. A veto session is not to embarrass Edwards, it is to not embarrass the veto proof majority of Legislators that voted to get it done! Mr. Dubos is a "political" commentator! He comments on this issue from a political view. Is the station that pays for his commentary a left leaning operation? The statistics would say, yes. If that is so, he probably wouldn't last too long on there if he didn't tow the line to some degree.

You can complain to them all you want, but as long as you are watching it, they aren't changing.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There is the issue…trusting any mainstream news. They are all biased to the point of being propaganda and the lies emanate from them effortlessly . Local news used to just deal in facts. Those days are long gone.

They are fed their talking points and what stories to cover and how to cover them same as the national networks.

I have seen this too!

But, don't seem surprised. Look who owns these stations. Don Georges is a full blown democrat and he owns the two biggest newspapers here, and one of the biggest TV news casts.

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    I have seen this too!

But, don't seem surprised. Look who owns these stations. Don Georges is a full blown democrat and he owns the two biggest newspapers here, and one of the biggest TV news casts.
    Not surprised at all. TV news, by and large, is nothing but propaganda and a spin agency for the left and their goal to turn America into a banana republic

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I have seen this too!

I used to deliver The Advocate. When John Georges bought the paper someone asked if he was going to run for Governor again. His reply was he didn't need to he owns that paper now

Hermit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2007
    Ascension
    https://louisianaradionetwork.com/2021/06/29/state-capitol-insider-veto-session-highly-likely/

State Capitol Insider: Veto session highly likely
    Baton Rouge / louisianaradionetwork.com
    Jeff Palermo
    Jun 29, 2021 | 11:47 AM

State Capitol Insider: Veto session highly likely
    LaPolitics.com publisher Jeremy Alford says it’s highly likely the Legislature will hold its first-ever veto session on July 20th. Alford says lawmakers have until July 15th to vote to cancel the veto session, but many legislators want to override two controversial vetoes made by the governor.

“I’ve spoken to key lawmakers on both sides of Memorial Hall over the last couple of days and all of them use the same phrase which is …highly likely,” said Alford.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

I heard this too! Don't be surprised if the national DNC sticks their corrupt and phony little paws into this at some point. Even though Louisiana is very red, having a democrat governor get over-ridden in a historic fashion is not good optics when all you care about is holding on to power.

People should still be pushing their respective Legislators to get on board with this override session. It wouldn't hurt to push those that aren't your respective Legislators too!

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I'll believe ot when it happens. Until then, I'm not holding my breath for a single politician to do something that benefits anyone other than themselves.

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    I'll believe ot when it happens. Until then, I'm not holding my breath for a single politician to do something that benefits anyone other than themselves.
    The only thing that we can do is pester the crap out of our elected officials to do the right thing and have long memories of when they don’t.

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    Reposting this post 4th of July holiday and for those that may have missed it

Contact list:

Senate President, Patrick Page Cortez
    101 W Farrel Road
    Bldg 5, Suite 100
    Lafayette, LA 70508
    Phone: (337)993-7430

Speaker Clay Schexnayder
    6473 Highway 44
    Suite 205
    Gonzales, LA 70737
    phone (225) 342-7263

and it probably doesn’t hurt to hit up your State Rep and State Senator in anticipation of needing an override

lets light up the phone lines and their inboxes

Top Bottom