Mis-use of "Off Topic Discussions"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have noticed that there seems to be a possibly growing mis-use of this category. When posting something that would clearly fit under one of the other specialty categories, people are posting it here instead.

Is it out of laziness, or is it intentional, to get it seen by more people? It seems that there are more posts and more viewers under "off-topic", but if you post something here that is clearly related to a specific category, you're just making the problem worse.

del4

All around nice guy.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Walker
    Both.

IMO, some categories are too specialized and can be merged.

I bet some people people don't realize that some categories are there.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Both.

IMO, some categories are too specialized and can be merged.

I bet some people people don't realize that some categories are there.

This. There are WAAAAY too many sub-forums IMO. I can't fault a poster for not picking the one of several dozen sub-forums there are. For instance, Politics and Current Events is one and Laws and Legalities is another. You'd really have to think about what you're posting to determine which category that goes in. I'd lose the Politics forum and just make Off-Topic a catch all for non-firearm related posts. Laws and Legalities should be used for actual firearm laws and related discussions. Mods should be actively moving threads to their appropriate category too. Most people would eventually figure it out.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Most topics ANYWHERE on the Internet change about 20 times anyway, so......

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I have noticed that there seems to be a possibly growing mis-use of this category. When posting something that would clearly fit under one of the other specialty categories, people are posting it here instead.

Is it out of laziness, or is it intentional, to get it seen by more people? It seems that there are more posts and more viewers under "off-topic", but if you post something here that is clearly related to a specific category, you're just making the problem worse.

Oh ****...don't cut and paste, don't copy pictures, don't post inna wrong place...

And in reality most threads change subjects often anyway...

I don't even know who's in charge anyway most of the time, is there a badge or something that could go on the AV's ?? Or how do I tell if someone in " internet authority " is talking or just another meathead shooting off at the pie hole ???
    :doh:

Makin me :crazy:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Oh ****...don't cut and paste, don't copy pictures, don't post inna wrong place...

And in reality most threads change subjects often anyway...

I don't even know who's in charge anyway most of the time, is there a badge or something that could go on the AV's ?? Or how do I tell if someone in " internet authority " is talking or just another meathead shooting off at the pie hole ???
    :doh:

Makin me :crazy:
    Don't forget proper punctuation and spelling . ;)

dirk70301

Jack of all trades
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Thibodaux , LA
    This is my opinion , these forums are supposed to be a place to shoot the bull and get people together and have fun .I know we need rules but seems like people are forgetting the real reason we are here . If someone dosen't like what is posted DONT READ IT OR DONT REPLY , leave it as it is . If it is offencive to somone than delete it . That's just my 2 cents . Hope I didn't offend anyone .

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom