My new Stag

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I would be inclined (no pun inteneded) to send it back.

Or you can loosen the barrel nut & twist barrel if there is play in the receiver/barrel pin junction. Loosening & tightening the barrel nut requires some speciallzed tools*, yourself to be manly & perhaps even the aid of a manly friend who already has the tools & knowledge. Luckily I had a friend who was capable.

*That is after removing the roll pin & gas tube.

Either way I would talk to Stag first.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    A barrel wrench and upper block are what are needed, I believe.

There may be enough play in the notches that it can be taken out without sending it back.

If I wanted to use the FSP as is, though, I would go ahead and send it in, though, since they pay shipping.

I talked to Paul @ Stag about mine, and he was happy to take it back, but I opted to remove the FSP anyway, so I did not bother.

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I talked to Paul @ Stag about mine, and he was happy to take it back, but I opted to remove the FSP anyway, so I did not bother.
    I'm just gonna send it back to Stag. I'm gonna call Paul tomorrow. I've heard good things about their CS, and supposedly their turn around time is top notch.
    Just sucks I'm gonna have to go a few more weeks without it. :(

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Just hope we don't have a democrat zombie SHTF outbreak of nuclear asteroid impacts until they get a chance to get it back to me...

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Is any amount of shift to one side considered "normal" or within acceptable tolerances for an AR? As I said, this one is no more than 1/16'* canted right, perhaps less. I'm still gonna send it in, but I would like to know how much is considered normal?

Last edited:

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    How the hell did you notice 1mm???

Maybe I've just been staring down the barrel of an AK too long....
    Actually, now that you point it out, and this is embarassing since I am a drafting student and should know how to read a scale (aka ruler). It isn't 1mm off, it was 1/16 or 2/16 OF AN INCH off center. 1mm would have been the other side of the ruler.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    The FSB should be so perfect you can't tell if is canted. You are dealing with a casting which may not be perfect. The front sight post is what needs to be perfect. FSB could be drilled off or the post may not be concentric or bent. Turn post 2 clicks (180 deg) see if is shifts over. You may have to do 1 click then the 2.

A little bit of front sight cant takes a lot of windage to correct for. You want to start off a zero windage or as close to it as possible.

If you haven't shot it yet then Stag will probably ask you to. It is hard to tell by looking at it.

Being a new rifle I would talk to Stag & send it back. (Even though I'd like to see it at the next shoot.)

Where did you get it?

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    The FSB should be so perfect you can't tell if is canted. You are dealing with a casting which may not be perfect. The front sight post is what needs to be perfect. FSB could be drilled off or the post may not be concentric or bent. Turn post 2 clicks (180 deg) see if is shifts over. You may have to do 1 click then the 2.

A little bit of front sight cant takes a lot of windage to correct for. You want to start off a zero windage or as close to it as possible.

If you haven't shot it yet then Stag will probably ask you to. It is hard to tell by looking at it.

Being a new rifle I would talk to Stag & send it back. (Even though I'd like to see it at the next shoot.)

Where did you get it?

With Stag, I believe it is the barrel itself that is canted. The taper pin holes are directly opposite the port, but both are slightly canted, at least that's how mine is.

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    One guy I read about had Stag send him a whole new upper that arrived in the mail only a few days after he sent his out. That would be awesome, since it would get back faster, but I'm not holding my breath...

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    With Stag, I believe it is the barrel itself that is canted. The taper pin holes are directly opposite the port, but both are slightly canted, at least that's how mine is.

Thanks LC, but I dont think I needed correcting. If the taper pin holes & gas port are in the correct place in relation to each other the problem is on the other end of the barrel. There is a pin that goes into the upper receiver. The pin is either off or the slots it fits in is off. The fix is not on the FSB end. It is not a Stag problem but a AR issue The sight post problems are also something to look out for.

BR870,
    Yep it is quite visible in the pic. I wouldn't waste any ammo on that one.

I dealt with 2 different guys at Stag & I'll bet you will be well taken care of. I would ask them what the solution is. You don't want the slot or pin filed.

Where did you find the parts for that price?

chevydriver350

Young Padawong
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    kenner
    that realy sux i just purchased a stag 2 weeks ago and havent had any problems but mine was a stag 16 so it is a flat top with know sights just a scope. hope things work out for ya. by the way their customer support is great the gun was flawless but the mag spring was to short (wtf!!!) so they sent me a whole new mag with no questions asked and didnt even ask for the original one back.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    BR870,
    Thanks for the links, those seem like excellent prices compared to a gun show.
    Oh yeah, no one has mentioned another Stag advantage if you get a left handed model the ejected cases don't cross in front you face if you're shooting one in both hands.

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    that realy sux i just purchased a stag 2 weeks ago and havent had any problems but mine was a stag 16 so it is a flat top with know sights just a scope. hope things work out for ya. by the way their customer support is great the gun was flawless but the mag spring was to short (wtf!!!) so they sent me a whole new mag with no questions asked and didnt even ask for the original one back.
    That's okay, I'm sure they'll make it right. It's just gonna take sendin it back. :( Luckily, I'm not too upset by things like this as long as they are made right. If they get it fixed in a timely manner, I'll still probably consider them for the next AR (which I will be gettin b4 Nov.)...

Top Bottom