Near Miss

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Had that happen to me, a jacket bounced back and sliced the hell out of my finger. Probably should have gotten stitches but I'm stubborn. Glad the shooter will be ok.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Had that happen to me, a jacket bounced back and sliced the hell out of my finger. Probably should have gotten stitches but I'm stubborn. Glad the shooter will be ok.

Dumb cat question but Jacket = Brass right? I knew they could burn but I didn't know they could cut, much less enough for stitches. For the ignorant, how does this happen? How often?

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    Dumb cat question but Jacket = Brass right? I knew they could burn but I didn't know they could cut, much less enough for stitches. For the ignorant, how does this happen? How often?

sounds like the copper jacket surrounding the lead bullet separated. Have you ever seen a mushroomed bullet after it made impact? It looks like a throwing star and the copper jacket can be razor sharp

Last edited:

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    It was Ron Harris's buddy, he took some shrapnel in the neck, cut a blood vessel and the jacket almost cut his artery, they were shooting at steel targets, he was not the shooter,( the wounded man)

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    wow i wouldn't call that a near miss :o sounds like a direct hit. glad he's okay.

what exactly is a jacket fragment and how would i prevent something like this from happening to me? :eek3:

The projectile (bullet) on most pistol ammunition is plated/coated with a jacket which is normally copper. When fired into a metal plate there is the possibility some of the particles will ricochet in the direction from which they were fired. If you are close enough there is a possibility of getting hit. Some people will not shoot steel closer than 45'-50'.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    sounds like the copper jacket surrounding the lead bullet separated. Have you ever seen a mushroomed bullet after it made impact? It looks like a throwing star and the copper jacket can be razor sharp

I've seen a mushroomed bullet. I didn't know they can fracture and part of the "mushroom" can fly back to the shooter though. Good to know! Sounds like one in a million possibility to sustain a life threatening cut, but slightly more common to happen with just a nick?

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    The projectile (bullet) on most pistol ammunition is plated/coated with a jacket which is normally copper. When fired into a metal plate there is the possibility some of the particles will ricochet in the direction from which they were fired. If you are close enough there is a possibility of getting hit. Some people will not shoot steel closer than 45'-50'.

Oh wow! Now that makes sense. Thank you for the clarification, JBP.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Thanks for the info, Joe.

This is just proof that you should always have eye protection on and be prepared for anything. Thankfully it wasnt as bad as it could have been.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    There's always a risk but it decreases based on distance from steel.

USPSA allows no closer than 23' if there is a physical barrier and 26' without. That's about as close as I feel confortable.

Top Bottom