Near Miss

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I have just that in my bag, quik clot, large bandages just in case

Quick Clot is good but I wouldn't use it for an arterial bleed, especially carotid. I've seen one hit and the blood will pump out pretty "high" . Fortunately i've only seen them in surgery and can get blood easily.
    Too much detail to go into, but depending on location apply pressure or tourniquet for maximum 120 mins. And seek medical attention

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i always angle steel downwards to deflect the bullet fragments downward without expending so much energy into the plate. thats when you get divots and dents, thats what tends to bounce bits back at you.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    There is a rule for minimum steel target distance, and greater distance equals greater safety is a thought in the right direction.
    However, there are other factors to consider. The angle of the target presentation (both horizontal and vertical), condition of the plate's surface, and the ground surface can also play a role in the direction and dispersement of the splatter. Glad to hear the injury was not more severe.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Personally, I think shooting at steel should stop. I have seen many instances of this happening from the videos on you tube.

A ricochet can come back to you at nearly impact velocity. Dangerous.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Quick Clot is good but I wouldn't use it for an arterial bleed, especially carotid. I've seen one hit and the blood will pump out pretty "high" . Too much detail to go into, but depending on location apply pressure or tourniquet for maximum 120 mins. And seek medical attention

+1...Direct Pressure is your friend in these cases...Quick Clot has many drawbacks and serious potential side effects also....

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Personally, I think shooting at steel should stop. I have seen many instances of this happening from the videos on you tube.

A ricochet can come back to you at nearly impact velocity. Dangerous.

So you think I should stop shooting steel at 700yds with rifle rounds? What about 300yds? What about 1000yds? Did you put that much thought into your above comment or is this a liberal knee jerk reaction type comment to try and make rules/laws so that you feel people are safe???

PLEASE tell me your above statement was sarcasm.

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    So you think I should stop shooting steel at 700yds with rifle rounds? What about 300yds? What about 1000yds? Did you put that much thought into your above comment or is this a liberal knee jerk reaction type comment to try and make rules/laws so that you feel people are safe???

PLEASE tell me your above statement was sarcasm.

Your getting bent outa shape over nothing.

If you don't want any comments then don't post.

It was just a thought but you have to admit shooting at steel is quite risky.

That's all.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    There is a rule for minimum steel target distance, and greater distance equals greater safety is a thought in the right direction.
    However, there are other factors to consider. The angle of the target presentation (both horizontal and vertical), condition of the plate's surface, and the ground surface can also play a role in the direction and dispersement of the splatter. Glad to hear the injury was not more severe.

^^^^^
    Smooth flat steel targets "almost" never sends bullet fragments back toward the shooter.
    Ammo also plays an important role. Steel core ammo should never be shot at steel targets.

thomjb

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Southern IN
    Was shooting falling metal plates at 10 yards with an HK in 357Sig, Still have the scar on my left arm where the jacket cut it open and slightly embedded.
    it got my attention.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I've had this discussion on whether or not it is safe to shoot steel plates with countless people for over 30 years. Those that think it is dangerous will not be convinced otherwise. It's the same with reloaded ammunition. Some say that's too dangerous also. The truth is, if you don't understand what causes issues with either, then you should not be doing either. The facts are just like scooterj said....a hard, flat plate is very unlikely to bounce a bullet frag back at you. Now if the surface of the target is cratered or has some right angle surfaces, then a spit back is more likely. I will say this based on my personal experience. I have never seen an injury from a bullet bounce back from steel plate targets and I have been shooting them in competition since 1980........ from Arizona to Idaho and from Florida to Ohio, and many places in between, with guns ranging from 22 LR to 308 Win. Now I will say that the closest targets were 25 yards and the farthest 200 meters. At those events, many, many thousands of round have gone down range without a single injury that I am aware of. I have seen, as have many of you, the Youtube video of the 50 cal rifle shot bouncing back and taking the shooters muffs off. I'd bet my retirement fund that the plate he shot was cratered to hell and back. There is no other explanation. I'll keep shooting steel plates...IHMSA silhouette targets....till I die and I feel quite safe doing so.

Top Bottom