Near Miss

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • #1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    I understand it was a freak accident. Do they normally shoot plates designed for rifles with pistols?

AR500 is the grade of steel the target is made of.Splashback can happen at indoor ranges with steel backstops also.I think jacketed bullets send back frags more often than lead bullets the lead splatters where the brass jacket stays together.Thats why I like Bayoubullets they preform like a jacketed bullet without that deadly jacket.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    AR500 is the grade of steel the target is made of.Splashback can happen at indoor ranges with steel backstops also.I think jacketed bullets send back frags more often than lead bullets the lead splatters where the brass jacket stays together.Thats why I like Bayoubullets they preform like a jacketed bullet without that deadly jacket.

I know it is a grade of steel but they were described as rifle plates. Rifle plates are not shot with pistols on some ranges as there is less chance of it falling and more chance of a ricochet. Some pistol plates will not fall when hit low or when shot with weak 9mm ammunition. I am not familiar with the set up or type targets on a USPSA range therefore the question.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Amen BamBam.
    I hate to be around when people are using jacketed bullets on pistol steel. Lead will still ricochet (for lack of a better term), or splatter back, but it's not near as bad.

Art

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I didn't think I would know who the guy was who got hit when I read this thread this weekend. Turns out the guy who was hit works at the same plant as I as well as the same shift. He just works a different unit (utilities). The update I got tonight was that he is doing better and he has a large wound on his neck and leg. The leg wound was caused by the doctors removing some vein material to repair his carotid artery.

Last edited:

BRitchieLCK

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, La
    yikes i was not aware of this! would there be a risk when near the steel plates at honey island? i think the plates there at the pistol range are 25 yards away

If I'm not mistaken the pistol plates at Honey Island are at 25' not 25 yards. When I shot there you could see the jacket fragments from the glare of the sun flying back towards you.

ENVPMBR Shooter

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La
    Thanks for the info, Joe.

This is just proof that you should always have eye protection on and be prepared for anything. Thankfully it wasnt as bad as it could have been.

This is why USPSA should make the rule that all shooter glasses should meet Z87.1 ANSI rules. A regular pair of glasses would have not stopped it.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom