Need help building a Rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    For a bolt action, you can get a new Remington or Savage rifle that is pretty darn accurate straight out to the box. I don't own a Savage but they have a reputation of being the best bang/$$$ in terms of accuracy.

x2

My Remington 700 had pretty good grouping at 100 yards right out of the box. I paid just over $300 for it after tax. If you really want to add stuff, you have another $700 for a bipod and a new optic (gun already comes with one, but it is not the best)

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    You might want to pick up a copy of Precision Shooting. Often in the classifieds someone will sell a benchrest gun. It might not be up to benchrest par, but would be accurate enough for anyone else (1/2" groups rather than under a 1/5" at 100 yards!). They go through a lot of equipment trying to get the best grouping rifle and some of their castoffs are actually pretty good.

Remington 700's are a good choice though. They are accurate enough for hunting and some competitions out the box. If you want more accurate you can upgrade them. Better stocks, triggers, having the action blueprinted (re-machined to very tight tolerances), replacement match barrels... Its just as bad as building a 10/22, but more expensive.

MonarchC88

Federal NewB
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 14, 2007
    Gonzales
    Pics Pics Pics and Spec's plz

Rich, I sent you a PM on NOSR.

I can show you the gun personally if your interested.

That pic I sent you isn't all that great but its all I have and its no big deal for me to swing by and show you the rifle in person.

Let me know. Thanks

-Charles

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    glass doesn't help you shoot better, just see better. YOu have to shoot with irons and glass at distance to fully "get" this principle.

I can shoot just as well at 200 or 600 with or without optics.

I find that when shooting at a target from the prone position, I get distracted when using a scope. I see too much of the target. Also, it seems easier to just move the crosshairs into the middle rather than adjust my natural point of aim. This leads to off call shots. I have never "cleaned" the target at 600 yards with a scope. There is always one or two "off call" shots in every 20 shot string. My personal best with iron sights (bolt gun with aperture sights) is 42 straight 10s and Xs. That being said, for the majority of people under the widest set of conditions, optics will alow you to place your shots more accurately. You just cannot forget to apply the basics. Optics are not a panacea.

Dan

jebsr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    Winnsboro, La
    I would suggest a Savage, I have a LRPV in 204 that will group 5in at 500yd, will do .2s and .3s at one hundred, but 204 is not the best round for anything past 400. Savage also makes a F Class in lots of different calibers, I have one on order in 6mm Rem BR which should be good for 5-700yd ranges. This is the first rifle I have ever had for these distances hope it does as good as my other Savages.

Have friend who have model 12 in 223 and 204 and they are great shooters.

Hope this helps,

ps try the 6BR website they talk about lots of calibers.

Top Bottom