Need help building a Rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richierich

RichieRich
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    NoLa
    Aight i've been looking to get into distance shooting for some time and i've read some but have ZERO actual experience. So heres my challenge for the guru's and anyone willing. Put together a decent rig for under or as close to $1k as possible. Im looking to shoot 100-300+ yards. Now im not even sure if this is possible for this budget but as im just starting out i'm not looking to dump 3-6k yet. If yall can help me out that would be great but if this idea is totally off basis lemme know. Thanks in advance.

--Richie

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    Aight i've been looking to get into distance shooting for some time and i've read some but have ZERO actual experience. So heres my challenge for the guru's and anyone willing. Put together a decent rig for under or as close to $1k as possible. Im looking to shoot 100-300+ yards. Now im not even sure if this is possible for this budget but as im just starting out i'm not looking to dump 3-6k yet. If yall can help me out that would be great but if this idea is totally off basis lemme know. Thanks in advance.

--Richie

1. That is not distance shooting, and if you're looking at killign a deer/man...
    Just about anythign will work.

2. How much accuracy are you looking for?
    An AK will do head shots at 100 and drop them in the chest all day logn at 300.

Or do you want to shoot sub 3 inch groups at 300 yards?

I recomend you do a couple things:

Buy the book "The Art of the Rifle" by Col Cooper

Before you buy a rifle decide exactly what you want (See above, bolt, semi...)

What use...

Get with someone who has somethign similar to what you want and take it for a 'test run'

I'm no 'Highpower shooter' but if you want I'll go over a few things with you/let you try out a couple things.

And I'm sure others will be happy to do the same.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Richie, when you figure out what you are looking for...let us know. Between the people on this forum you can find someone with just about anything you'd want to shoot. We love guns!

Richierich

RichieRich
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    NoLa
    Awesome thanks for the input yall apparently i was shooting too low for distance. Dont know much, but looking to learn alot more and thanks for pointing me in the rite direction. And since someone asked this would be solely for target shooting and i'd be looking at a bolt action.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Richie,

If you could define "target shooting" to narrow it down a bit, we could provide you with advice to send you in the right direction. The best thing that we can do for you is give you enough information so that you can find the right rifle the first time. Pangris and Manimal are correct when they say that you can put together (or buy) a rifle that will shoot tight groups and be competitve for target shooting for between $900 and $1,200 depending on your goals and some of the choices you make.

If you are interested in position shooting (shooting without a bench), I can help you. If you are looking for a rifle to shoot from a rest with a scope, there are a number of bolt guns and semi-autos out there that will work. A fun game for shooting from a rest is F-Class which is fired at 600 yards at a target with 1/2 MOA rings (X is 3"; 10 is 6"; 9 is 9"; etc.). A number of factory bolt or semi-auto rifles will do that.

If you have any questions, email me.

Dan

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Awesome thanks for the input yall apparently i was shooting too low for distance. Dont know much, but looking to learn alot more and thanks for pointing me in the rite direction. And since someone asked this would be solely for target shooting and i'd be looking at a bolt action.

100yd target shooting...man I'd just get a Ruger 10/22(Not sure what the good bolt rifles are these days, I have a Marlin mod 70 I think), maybe a custom one, and a good scope. Easily attainable for less than $1000

.22lr ammo is cheap as can be, its fun to shoot, its accurate, no recoil, its -easy- to train with and you can train for any kind of shooting with it.

If you want bigger there are clearly more options available. A question to answer for yourself is "How much $ do I want to spend having fun with this thing?"

You looking to spend $15 a day shooting($15 for about 550rds of .22lr), or $150 a day shooting(100rds of .308 or similar caliber ammo), or more?

I would go with a .22lr(Bolt or Semi Auto), and from there I'd move up. I think most of us here have .22lr that are amongst some of our favorite rifles. I know I've put about 10-15,000rds through mine.

Richierich

RichieRich
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    NoLa
    If you are interested in position shooting (shooting without a bench), I can help you. If you are looking for a rifle to shoot from a rest with a scope, there are a number of bolt guns and semi-autos out there that will work. A fun game for shooting from a rest is F-Class which is fired at 600 yards at a target with 1/2 MOA rings (X is 3"; 10 is 6"; 9 is 9"; etc.). A number of factory bolt or semi-auto rifles will do that.

Dan

Ok well my next question would be how do the different events affect rifle choice?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Ok well my next question would be how do the different events affect rifle choice?
    Position shooting is done from a sling so the rifle needs to be set up for one. The easiest rifle to learn on is a NM AR-15. I have access to plenty if you want to try one. With a bolt gun, you would typically put a rail in your fore-end so that your sling swivel can be adjusted for length. Fore-ends are typically round so they fit your hand well.

For a gun that is to be shot primarily from a rest, you would not put in a rail and the stock would be designed to "ride the bags". Typically you will see flat fore-ends and buttstocks with the bottom more parallel to the top.

If you want to see what we do in position shooting, go to www.paloaltogunclub.org and watch the "recommended videos" on the first page. They will give you an idea about how a match is fired.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dan

Danny

USMC DM
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2007
    NE Louisiana
    Savage model 10 or 12, go with a better stock from the get go and you will save some money. You can put less money glass on it and be on your way for under 1k I have 1800 in mine and have only scratched the surface in the things to do to it to make it shoot better.

I was thing 1k would be easily doable until I started.

Richierich

RichieRich
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    NoLa
    Savage model 10 or 12, go with a better stock from the get go and you will save some money. You can put less money glass on it and be on your way for under 1k I have 1800 in mine and have only scratched the surface in the things to do to it to make it shoot better.

I was thing 1k would be easily doable until I started.

Yeh the more i look and do research the bigger my budget seems to want to get. LoL. I just set 1k as a starting point since i really did not know much about the sport or equipment involved. The neat and the really neat stuff allways costs more cash dang it lol.:rofl:

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    I still say start with a .22lr, by the time you're comfortable and skilled enough to utilize the higher caliber rifles you'd have saved more than enough in ammo alone to be able to justify spending more $ on the nicer long range rifles.

Just my opinion.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Richie,

Be careful about buying a .223. It is an very good mid to long range round. However, it requires a 1:8" twist or faster to shoot the heavy bullets necessary to shoot the longer ranges.

I still have not heard from you what you want to do with your rifle. All of this advice, good or otherwise, is irrelevent without some direction concerning your intended use.

There are many kinds of target shooting. You need to examine them and see what interests you. If you just want an accurate rifle that you can take to the range and shoot groups with, there are a number out there. A heavy barreled Savage or Remington witha synthetic stock and a good scope should be easy to put together for not too much $$$. If you want to play a specific game, you can focus your search on things more appropriate to the particular sport.

Dan

Dan

Richierich

RichieRich
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    NoLa
    Richie,

Be careful about buying a .223. It is an very good mid to long range round. However, it requires a 1:8" twist or faster to shoot the heavy bullets necessary to shoot the longer ranges.

I still have not heard from you what you want to do with your rifle. All of this advice, good or otherwise, is irrelevent without some direction concerning your intended use.

There are many kinds of target shooting. You need to examine them and see what interests you. If you just want an accurate rifle that you can take to the range and shoot groups with, there are a number out there. A heavy barreled Savage or Remington witha synthetic stock and a good scope should be easy to put together for not too much $$$. If you want to play a specific game, you can focus your search on things more appropriate to the particular sport.

Dan

Dan

Yeh im still tring to assimilate all this information. I have been working the search engines overtime looking into all the advice you and others have given so far. In general im an information whore about anything that interests me i cant get enough.

Due to a car accident that injured my back i'm gonna have to limit myself to sitting or prone events. Standing with a gun especially prolonged and having to aim precisely i just dont think is gonna be an option. So that helps limit some options i guess.

And im still not 100% sure what i want to do with my rifle, so thats why i havent gotten with you about that yet. If theres any specific info that would help you help me plz let me know.

Pangris- what defines high power shooting other then the obvious? Could you provide some examples? Will be researching this just wanted your input as well.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Due to a car accident that injured my back i'm gonna have to limit myself to sitting or prone events. Standing with a gun especially prolonged and having to aim precisely i just dont think is gonna be an option. So that helps limit some options i guess.

I feel you, it sucks!

Top Bottom