New guy in search of a gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Richies, I agree with you and have bought from you in the past....

However, K-mac sounded like he was going to hit the first shop on the way home from work, not drive out of state and take another suggestion

I was gonna see if he could mail it to me. That's legal right? lol

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    Ah OK, that makes total sence.. whatever that is lol

An FFL is a Federal Firearms License. Anyone who sells guns as a business (gun shops, pawn shops that sell guns, sporting goods stores that sell guns, etc) are required to have one. Personal "face-to-face" sales from private individuals are not required to go through an FFL as long as they both reside in the same state (for handguns).

The way the law is written, a person residing in one state who wants to purchase a handgun from another state must go through an FFL holder to facilitate the transfer.

Case in point: I am a LA resident. I work at a MS gun shop. I cant purchase a handgun in the shop I work in unless I have it transferred to an FFL holder in LA and do my paperwork there. :wtc:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Ohhhhh OK.
    I may go to get a gun tomorrow, haven't figured it out yet. Gonna try some out, may stop at the range. We shall see. Thanks for everybodys help! :)

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Guano_shooter is correct.
    :rofl:

see-what-you-did-there-house.jpg

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    LOL!!! I was wondering when someone would catch that!

yeah, when I used to ride my Valkyrie all over town, I became very acquainted with the bouquet of bat doo-doo, which collects heavily under the interstate overpasses. I guess I'm hyper-sensitive to it now, apparently even in writing! ;)

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    Buy in haste, sell it at a loss on BS soon, 'cause it won't be right.

Seriously. It seems that you've never owned or used a handgun before. You've gotten lots of good advice so far and I'd like to throw my 2 cents in.

The first thing you should do is realize that you can't carry a concealed weapon without a CHP. Getting a CHP takes a little time. You should use that time to take some basic instruction and try different guns. Different guns will fit your hand differently and the fit is the most important thing. Proper fit, combined with good instruction will help you decide what you should have.

Despite all of the ribbing and banter that goes on here, there are many quality manufacturer's to choose from. They feel different, they have variations on safety mechanisms and other features. Glock, S&W (M&P), Sig Sauer, Berettta and CZ provide a starting list of high quality guns that you CAN bet your like on, ONCE YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT.

A good instructor will help you understand and can help you choose. There are convenient stores which rent many of the above so you can shoot them at their range to get a feel for what's comfortable.

The gun is the least expensive part of the process. Instruction, practice, CHP will add up to a lot more.

You also need to examine the psychological part. While you would only shoot to stop someone who is threatening you, you might kill them - can you live with that. The laws governing when you can use a handgun are really very restrictive and there are many other issues. to think about and deal with.

My recommendation is don't buy a gun yet. Buy a combination spray (pepper, tear gas, UV dye) and learn to use it as part of your initial instruction. Take the CHP course and apply for your Permit, Continue to take courses and try different guns while that's in process.

Then, make your decisions and, if you've decided to carry a concealed weapon, get the gun and other equipment and continue to take courses.

Do a lot of reading and learning before you start spending lots of $$$.

stormrider54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Dutchtown
    Welcome,

I suggest you get concealed carry permit. This requires training and money.

Then I would shop around for the pistol you want, and I mean shop. You can find good prices but you will have to look. There are guys out there that are more than willing to help. Call some of the supporters of this site, like Nick's or Waggespack's some of their pricing can't be beat. I don't know about Gretna gun works, I moved from the west bank years ago.

Take your time, do it right and you'll be much happier. I ended up with a Springfield XD/9 sub compact and love it. From the time I started looking until buying was approx. 6 months.

Last edited:

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Despite all of the ribbing and banter that goes on here, there are many quality manufacturer's to choose from. They feel different, they have variations on safety mechanisms and other features. Glock, S&W (M&P), Sig Sauer, Berettta and CZ provide a starting list of high quality guns that you CAN bet your like on, ONCE YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT.

One not mentioned here is Bersa. Bersa makes high quality handguns at affordable prices.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    10-4 on the Bersa. You might want to take a ride to Baton Rouge and go to Precision firearms and range. They have a good assortment of handguns you can rent and maybe that will help you figure out whats best for you. The guys are very helpful and got ammo and everything you need to do your experimenting. Whatever you do don't buy something cause it looks cool or bada$$ and never buy on an impulse without doing some research on the weapon first. Check out the reviews and by all means ask questions here on BS. Lots of folks here with lots of experience with different type weapons. Figure out what is best for you THEN start shopping.
    I'm originally from Gretna and don't know what they have down there as far as ranges and rentals go these days.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    "It seems that you've never owned or used a handgun before.".. this is not true. As I have said before, I have shot a hand gun, also some rifles. Also said I was probably going to hit the range and yes I do know that they have guns to rent.
    I won't need a permit to keep it in my truck. So I can just have one in my truck or in my home and than I can study for the conceal gun permit.
    Could I pull the trigger to end a life in self defense? Yes. Yes I could. You see.. I had my little boy in my truck and all I had was my stun gun. I needed something that I didn't have and had that man attacked me, I sure as hell would have been out of luck.
    Could I pull the trigger to end the life of someone who could of attacked my wife and my little boy is not the right question.. the right question would be..
    "Can you resist loading another clip to make sure he will stay down?"

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Oh yeah, welcome by the way!! Forgot to add that earlier. Lots of good folks here who have lots of opinions (I'm sure you figured that out pretty fast though LOL). Glad to have another Westbanker on board (Yeah, you can take the boy out of Terrytown/Gretna but can't....well, you know!).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    LOL Thanks a bunch! Yea.. nice and welcomed here :)
    Bunch of rednecks with superiority complexes and armed to the teeth.. Ahh yes.. America! hahahahaaa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Nah I'm kiddin hehe :)
    I do have a question though. I am a big guy 280 6'4 and I got semi big hands. What kind of gun do you foresee that may be right up my alley?

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    What's a clip? :mamoru: Just kidding....Here it's generally referred to as a magazine even though everyone here knows what you are talking about. There are countless threads on here about the difference btwn a clip and a mag...I just couldn't resist

For a truck gun for a big guy, I would suggest a full size polymer in a 9, 40 or 45. Look a the glock and XDs for a good reliable reasonably priced weapon. Shoot those. They are similar but have differences in feel. Just my opinions

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    Nah I'm kiddin hehe :)
    I do have a question though. I am a big guy 280 6'4 and I got semi big hands. What kind of gun do you foresee that may be right up my alley?

If you ask 20 different people this question you will get 20 different answers. Just in our shop alone we have a Glock guy, an XD fan, and the smartest guy of all, the M&P shooter. :mamoru:

Seriously though...

Me personally, I have carried so many different guns over the years and they were all the "right" gun at the time. Carry methods change, mind sets change, etc. and so your firearm is probably going to change over the years. If you are looking for polymer framed guns I would go with the big three, Glock, XD and M&P. Handle each one and see which works well for you. If you want steel, there are a ton of options out there. Stick with the well known and trusted brands and you should not go wrong.

Top Bottom