New guy in search of a gun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Welcome to the forum.

The only advice that I'll give ya is to find a range that rents guns & try before you buy & then, shop around for prices. Don't be pressured into an impulse purchase. Check out the gun shows.
    Find what you are comfortable with and then practice, practice, practice. Also take a CC class.

Good luck.

Art

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Who the hell mugged you? :rofl:

lol well I am partially cripple, maybe that's why he thought he could take advantage of me.. and he was right.
    I used to be able to run! Now I walk with a cane or get around my house in a powerscooter. But it's OK.. I make up for it by having a large penis. lol
    But I digress..
    I thank all of you for welcoming me here, and all the great advice. Me and the wife are going to be going out to the range tomorrow, hoping I can find one that fits me well.
    I have heard that Bayou Dragon is OK and I also ran across a place called Jefferson Gun in Metairie. Any of you know of either of these and could maybe say "No no, don't go to that one! Go to the otherrr oneee" or something like that?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    And also looking in to going to that one in Baton Rouge that someone mentioned called precision firearms.
    Just gotta find someone to watch the kid since I don't think they will let kids into these places

bronzdragon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Yardley, PA
    My first handgun was a Glock 23C with nightsights and it still resides in my nightstand next to my bed. I'll agree that it does have some kick to it, and may not have been the easiest to learn on ... but with the ports, it's very easy to stay accurate. And with good self protection ammo, it'll punch a big hole in whatever it hits.

I have several other types of handguns now, but the 23C still stays in the nightstand because I know I've run 2-3K rounds through it over the years and haven't had a problem with it. It comes down to being able to trust your weapon. And although I have prettier guns, I feel safe with that Glock.

So I say go for it. See if you can find a deal on a C model. Otherwise, just bite the bullet so to speak and order one, and get the night sites on it too.

cheers
    ~rc~

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    IF you are set on a GLOCK 40, OMB EXPRESS has some police trade ins

Glock 23 Compact 40 (Gen 2), night sights, 1 15Rnd mag $339

Glock 22 Full Size 40 (Gen 2), night sights, 1 15Rnd mag $329

Glock 22 Full Size 40 (Gen 3), night sights, 1 15 Rnd mag $349.99

Free Shipping on orders above $89.99, you will have to add $30 for an FFL transfer to that price.

1-866-990-1990

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    I am new here myself, and don't want to start any arguments. This is just my opinion and I am by no means trying to tell you what to do.

Consider a double action revolver for personal defense. The advantages are simple one handed operation. No safety to fool with in an emergency, just pull it out and start shooting.

Disadvantage is of course limited firepower.

What ever you choose, get some training and practice practice practice.

Welcome, and good shooting.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Nothing against DA revolvers but thought I'd mention that there are many good, concealable semiautos out there without manual safeties.
    As many others have mentioned, research, try out lots of different models and seek quality instructors before making a decision.

jguilletjr

Saw Bones
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Lafayette, La
    Nothing against DA revolvers but thought I'd mention that there are many good, concealable semiautos out there without manual safeties.
    As many others have mentioned, research, try out lots of different models and seek quality instructors before making a decision.

Thats true. Different strokes for different folks. I like the fact that if it misfires, I just pull the trigger again and it goes on to the next round with out having to stop and clear it.

I like the DA semi autos just as well. Also I am a big fan of the old 1911A-1.

Enchante du fair votre connaissance.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tdwarner
    Top Bottom