New Law on Pistol Attachments.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • christo103

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    starts@ 1:05 ,explains it pretty good, from the atf deputy attorney

I'm a little slow so bare with me..
    If I destroyed the brace in question per their guidelines for compliance, then if I am denied sbr status based on the 88 days, then they have no legal basis to seize my "pistol" and arrest me because I am in compliance.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm a little slow so bare with me..
    If I destroyed the brace in question per their guidelines for compliance, then if I am denied sbr status based on the 88 days, then they have no legal basis to seize my "pistol" and arrest me because I am in compliance.
    If you destroy the brace per their guidelines, I believe you have no basis for applying for sbr status.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I don’t think you have to destroy it,,, you can just remove it, I saw several situations that the atf doesn’t regulate sell/ distribution, possession of “accessories” just how they are used… I don’t believe you will have and issue till it is installed… but there’s always the “intent” argument ect….

christo103

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Assuming the rule holds up after the lawsuits, I will probably file a form 1. The video makes a valid point because if the background check expires after 88 days (because we all know it takes a hell of a lot longer to get NFA approval than that) they could legally come after you for being in possession of an illegal sbr rifle as they define it.
    What he doesn't address in the video is that if you have removed and discarded the brace from your possession, even if they reject your request for sbr status, they can not come after you. because you have converted it back to a pistol and are just waiting for approval to sbr it.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If you destroy the brace per their guidelines, I believe you have no basis for applying for sbr status.
    Having a brace in your possession is no more against the law than having a stock. Having a brace or a stock on a short barreled (less than 16”for rifle/pistol, less than 18” for shotgun) firearm is the issue at hand.
    Until the ATF outlaws tennis balls, I will have tennis balls.
    Lastly, I doubt the ATF kept a running tally of how many and who purchased any of the millions of pistol braces sold in the US, but you can bet your brass that they can find out and they won’t waste time with warrants to get it done. Just live legally. If they show up at your door, ask for a warrant. No warrant, no entry. Got a warrant, they’re coming in anyway. Hide your dog, hide your wife. Nothing illegal here numb nuts, now GTFO and don’t come back.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    if you have removed and discarded the brace from your possession, even if they reject your request for sbr status,

The "free" registration is for pistols with a brace. If you discard the brace from your possession, you should be filing a normal form 1 that may not be covered under their grace period.

they can not come after you. because you have converted it back to a pistol and are just waiting for approval to sbr it.

If you convert it back to a pistol (even though it was always a pistol, even with the brace) with a "pistol buffer tube" or something that can't readily accept a brace but you keep the brace, you shouldn't be in possession of the wrongly defined sbr and you should have all the components that would allow you to register it.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I don’t think you have to destroy it,,, you can just remove it, I saw several situations that the atf doesn’t regulate sell/ distribution, possession of “accessories” just how they are used… I don’t believe you will have and issue till it is installed… but there’s always the “intent” argument ect….
    Replace the buffer tube with one of a larger diameter that can't accept a brace like in the good old days. Except those will accept a shockwave brace so I guess you're still in constructive possession of an sbr. You could always permanently attach a plate to the back of the buffer tube so the shockwave won't fit. But you just increased the surface area and you've now made an sbr.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    A true AR-15 pistol buffer tube doesn't have the square lower feature (for the LOP adjustment of a CAR stock), and is slightly larger in OD than a standard rifle buffer tube. Hence the CAR stock will absolutely not slide onto it, nor will the shockwave/blade style "brace" attachment. I have owned a couple of the pistol buffer tubes in the past, one of em even had a nice black foam sleeve permanently attached on the rear end portion, for comfort. I also purchased 2 new Strike Industries pistol buffer tubes @ PA a few months back in advance of this Biden/DOJ/ATF "final rule" BS, just in case. They are really nice CNC machined AL, black ano finish pistol buffer tubes and are reasonably priced.

RussnAttitude

always learning
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    UN
    If you're actually concerned about the ATF's new B/S rules, and you're bending over backwards to comply, you're a effin sheep to begin with. Might as well just hand over everything you own and live the democrat lifestyle. I know it's gonna stir a pot, and get under a lot of people's skin, but I'm tired of holding my tongue and have never met most of you anyway. Just go find your Little Bo Peep, and give em everything you own.

Ddk85

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    Near Albany La
    If you're actually concerned about the ATF's new B/S rules, and you're bending over backwards to comply, you're a effin sheep to begin with. Might as well just hand over everything you own and live the democrat lifestyle. I know it's gonna stir a pot, and get under a lot of people's skin, but I'm tired of holding my tongue and have never met most of you anyway. Just go find your Little Bo Peep, and give em everything you own.
    200w-4.gif

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Yeah that's a great solution, the thinking man's solution. Don't comply with ANY state or federal rules or regulations. Oh and don't get a permit to CC in Louisiana, just do it. Real men don't seek permits to live under their God given rights in the US. Build full auto machine guns and take them wherever you want to go shooting. Any public range, anytime, no need to comply with Fed or ATF rules and regulations. Oh and if you want to build a silencer, go right ahead, no need to file anything with the ATF. Real men don't do that, just effin sheep.

Listen to the internet genius above and live your life accordingly. I'm sure it will work out really well for you in the end.

RussnAttitude

always learning
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    UN
    I never once claimed to be a genius. I'm not a felon, I AM entitled to my opinion and yes I have a messed up way of looking at things. Sorry, If I firmly believe the government has gone to far the last decade or so. If you wanna sit on your hands, ziptie your mouth shut and let them run over you while screaming, Yessa Masta, and Yes Daddy, you go ahead.

Last edited:

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I don't see the self-incriminating part happening by sending the info to the ATF, in good faith, and trying to register the item, but ATF's own inefficiency preventing it from happening in a timely manner. NFA of 1934 was already ruled flawed in Haynes v. United States at the USSC level. They lost the case and had to rewrite it in 1968 and fix the self-incrimination problem. Its specifically noted that failure to register it cannot be used for self-incrimination.

For reference : Haynes v. United States, 390 U.S. 85 (1968)

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Living the democrat lifestyle might not be so bad...I can get one of those Louisiana Purchase cards and free phones and free gubment housing and free healthcare free car, no insurance, wont go to jail for steeling etc..
    Isn't that the truth. I guess I did it wrong most all my life, working and saving until retirement. Brandon giving away so much these days, and you forgot the free/heavily fed gov subsidized home internet (new in 2022) service now avail to low income or zero income households. We're fixing to hit the 31.4 trillion dollar US debt limit very soon and Brandon just wants to raise it by 4 or 5 trillion dollars and carry on like it means nothing.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A true AR-15 pistol buffer tube doesn't have the square lower feature (for the LOP adjustment of a CAR stock), and is slightly larger in OD than a standard rifle buffer tube. Hence the CAR stock will absolutely not slide onto it, nor will the shockwave/blade style "brace" attachment. I have owned a couple of the pistol buffer tubes in the past, one of em even had a nice black foam sleeve permanently attached on the rear end portion, for comfort. I also purchased 2 new Strike Industries pistol buffer tubes @ PA a few months back in advance of this Biden/DOJ/ATF "final rule" BS, just in case. They are really nice CNC machined AL, black ano finish pistol buffer tubes and are reasonably priced.

The original shockwave blade had a hole with a diameter of about 1.25*. It was designed to fit over most pistol buffer tubes. Kak also sold a pistol buffer tube with indentions for the set screw to fit into. But their pistol buffer tube was not required. They sold the blade with and without their own tube.

Top Bottom