Not Cleaning A New Gun Before shooting................

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    First off before ya slam me, I always take them apart before shooting to inspect and clean first.
    Never know what the factory may have given you.
    Looking at opinions since forums always have plenty
    I know a few persons that have bough a new gun and carried them no test fire.
    Then shot them no cleaning right out the box, never cleaned just wiped off and carried again. And redone this process a few times.
    So have to ask how many think a gun straight out the box is "A Ok"
    Am I just paranoid that there may be something that was left that would wear the gun on first shooting that must be cleaned?
    They all tell me hey the factory put it together from parts cleaned it and shot it it is good to go.
    Blue Label program

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Most guns are shipped with oil/grease designed to protect then during shipping, not proper gun lubricant. Always clean and lube a new gun before you shoot it.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Clean, Lube, Shoot, Repeat.

This. But, I used to patronize another LGS that was 1/4 of a mile from the parish range, so I have taken a few out of the box, shot them, and gone home and cleaned them. Don't recommend this, but don't think the gun will self destruct if not cleaned before firing. As far as shooting it out of the box wiping it off and shooting it later, that just seems stupid.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I agree with taking it apart and cleaning. My last new gun was a Ruger MkIII it had oil under the grips and many other places {over lubed} ect.
    It was so heavy in mass that may have messed with ammo.
    It also had lots of Gray/Black grease for long term storage.
    Was really wondering! If my thought that a gun maker would leave metal trash that would permanently damage a gun in place if not cleaned first?

On a side note what got me thing was.
    My wife likes that show 1st 48 and they had 2 guys who shot someone they grabbed. When they went to test fire the 2 guns one was so gummed up it would not shoot.
    It was a Glock. Think both were Glocks one had a stock mag and the other the long extended mag.
    So this thug was walking the streets with a gun so dirty it did not work. He was still charged with the other guy, as he should have been.

I guy i worked for kept a snub 38 that was Stainless in his car door. He said it did not need lubed cleaned since he never used it.
    I pulled it out one day with his permission. They had French fries stuck to it. So I took it home cleaned it and gave it back. After that every six months i would do the same. As well as have him reload it with new ammo
    It was just crazy that he had a gun to protect his life that was in that shape

Last edited:

molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    2dir1gy.jpg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If the slide, bolt, cylinder or what ever action functions ok manually, the only thing I worry with on a NIB gun is the bore. Learned that at an early age, new or owned by me for years, I'm gonna ensure the bore is clear and clean before any gun sees a bullet.
    I also know for a fact that you can stand a cleaned shotgun in a corner one day and come back the next day and blow the barrel out when you pull the trigger. Danged ol' dirt daubers..

Mac 1

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Welsh, LA
    I bought a new CZ97. Took it home to clean it and found pieces of a work rag in it. Glad I didn't shoot it without cleaning it.

WOLFIE

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Bossier City
    I always wipe the factory grease off a NIB gun and apply proper gun oil before firing. The factory grease is made to preserve the gun. I also clean the bore; the gun was test fired at the factory and not cleaned. Just purchased a NIB Sig P229. The gun had been test fired - the barrel and breach face were dirty. I am also one of those guys who cleans the firearm after each range session.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    You know the factory shoots that gun before they ship it out.

Don't get me wrong, my new 1911 has been stripped and cleaned, lubed and all before it gets near a firing range.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Being not a rich man, I usually tear them down and Clean them since I can't really afford the ammo lol... usually have a box when I get it and wait till I have some to spare to shoot it...
    And it's usually a detail strip, and everytime I first do it, I cut myself, the best was a hipoint 45 carbine stabbed myself with a screwdriver getting the handguard off... abd a pt1911 sent the bushing into the ceiling and bouncing around the room...

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    There was a story a few years ago about a Bubba that had rolled up his cash and stuffed it down his shotgun barrel for safe keeping. Seems he forgot about it and one day decided to go squirrel hunting! Needless to say when he pulled the trigger it looked like green and white confetti all over the woods.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    There was a story a few years ago about a Bubba that had rolled up his cash and stuffed it down his shotgun barrel for safe keeping. Seems he forgot about it and one day decided to go squirrel hunting! Needless to say when he pulled the trigger it looked like green and white confetti all over the woods.
    Man and I thought 50 cents a round was expensive that was one expensive shot!

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans

LMAO...too funny

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Fanblade1
    Top Bottom