Not what I had planned for this morning. :(

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    etzjlv.jpg

s14xfc.jpg

2wnscv7.jpg

34sfhb5.jpg

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    ouch! how did you manage that? at least it's just panel damage and can be fixed...

I don't know, the support bar behind me looked to have shifted a bit, and it pulled HARD when I drove it to the parking-lot, which of course is likely due to alignment issues, but I am very much hoping that they total this. It's a 2012 with 17K miles on it, and I do NOT want to be buried in it :(

How did it happen?
    Driver in front of me in the left lane lost control of her SUV on a bridge in some ice and slammed into my car, impacting the left-front side and pinning the right side to the guard-rail (concrete). Those are the facts, currently, and here are the pix, no damage report yet. Speed was @40mph

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I don't know, the support bar behind me looked to have shifted a bit, and it pulled HARD when I drove it to the parking-lot, which of course is likely due to alignment issues, but I am very much hoping that they total this. It's a 2012 with 17K miles on it, and I do NOT want to be buried in it :(

How did it happen?
    Driver in front of me in the left lane lost control of her SUV on a bridge in some ice and slammed into my car, impacting the left-front side and pinning the right side to the guard-rail (concrete). Those are the facts, currently, and here are the pix, no damage report yet. Speed was @40mph

If they don't total it you can get $$$ for the depreciation beyond what the repair costs are. Always push to get a wrecked car totaled, but if you can't get depreciation $$$.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    If they don't total it you can get $$$ for the depreciation beyond what the repair costs are. Always push to get a wrecked car totaled, but if you can't get depreciation $$$.

I was told by Allstate that that was not likely/possible. Their insurance is General. I am going to DEMAND depreciation value, because that is value taken from the car---it was NOT like that prior to this. What is the law on that? Is there one?

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    You aren't getting any bonuses for depreciation, your insurance serves to restore the vehicle to 100% USED condition. It won't be worth any less if the body shop does their job as compared to one that hasn't had a fender bender. This is a common misconception. I love Z's, (and yours is nice), but it's not a 60's classic that lost absolute resale value based on conditional history. Once fixed it'll be worth exactly what the blue book says its worth.

I can also tell you from the pictures posted (pending unseen damage) that its not even close to a total. Wife is an insurance MRR adjustor.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    You aren't getting any bonuses for depreciation, your insurance serves to restore the vehicle to 100% USED condition. It won't be worth any less if the body shop does their job as compared to one that hasn't had a fender bender. This is a common misconception. I love Z's, (and yours is nice), but it's not a 60's classic that lost absolute resale value based on conditional history. Once fixed it'll be worth exactly what the blue book says its worth.

I can also tell you from the pictures posted (pending unseen damage) that its not even close to a total. Wife is an insurance MRR adjustor.

Pretty much what I figured, is it odd that I am itching to trade this in ASAP? I just don't want to deal with the problems that come with an incredibly complex machine being slammed into a guardrail at 40mph. They just often don't seem to "feel" the same, is my impression, and some chew up tires, etc. thereafter. Little connectors shaken loose, I just have a bad feeling about it.

PS> That car has a $1700 nearly full-body wrap. How do they plan on compensating for that do you think? No, it did not come from the dealer, I had it done by someone who knew what they were doing that did my C6 Z06 and normally does Viper/Vette's all over the US.

Further, those are Forged RAYS. They are not cheap rims, and 3 of them look ruined to me...

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I was told by Allstate that that was not likely/possible. Their insurance is General. I am going to DEMAND depreciation value, because that is value taken from the car---it was NOT like that prior to this. What is the law on that? Is there one?

Insurance companies goal is to pay out as little money as possible while collecting as much money as possible. Your agent isn't going to want to say you can get deprecation money because they are not going to want to pay for it when it is their turn. You get to pick the repair place, pick one that will total the car...

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    All policies cover up to X in accessories. My X is $5,000.00. I dont know what your policy is. If they have it repaired correctly and at the dealer (strongly request this...those techs are trained on YOUR VEHICLE, not a jack-of-all-trades on most vehicles) you shouldn't notice a difference in day-to-day driving.

That being said- a LOT of small little things arise down the road that they just didn't notice before you receive delivery of your "newly fixed" sports car.

Been through this situation before myself -if it doesn't show... they covered my rims and performance mods up to X, then I was S.O.L for the rest. Car performed okay, but little rattles, creaks, etc months after ...it truly wasn't the "same".

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    All policies cover up to X in accessories. My X is $5,000.00. I dont know what your policy is. If they have it repaired correctly and at the dealer (strongly request this...those techs are trained on YOUR VEHICLE, not a jack-of-all-trades on most vehicles) you shouldn't notice a difference in day-to-day driving.

That being said- a LOT of small little things arise down the road that they just didn't notice before you receive delivery of your "newly fixed" sports car.

Been through this situation before myself -if it doesn't show... they covered my rims and performance mods up to X, then I was S.O.L for the rest. Car performed okay, but little rattles, creaks, etc months after ...it truly wasn't the "same".

Exactly. This car is getting sold soon after I get it back. I'll use it as an opportunity to down-size a bit before financing land and a house and moving, but really, it wasn't necessary and not the way I wanted to do things AT ALL.

Rims are factory, they just aren't cheap at all. Wrap was the only aftermarket thing destroyed.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Insurance companies goal is to pay out as little money as possible while collecting as much money as possible. Your agent isn't going to want to say you can get deprecation money because they are not going to want to pay for it when it is their turn. You get to pick the repair place, pick one that will total the car...

But if I don't pick the shop they tell me to, they won't stand behind any repairs that would arise from being done wrong in the first place, and I doubt I can get this thing totaled. Will probably only be $10-15K in damage.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    That really sucks, but I have traded in every vehicle that has been involved in an accident or claim for that matter immediately after being fixed before it even hits the car fax report.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    That really sucks, but I have traded in every vehicle that has been involved in an accident or claim for that matter immediately after being fixed before it even hits the car fax report.

I'm pretty much planning on it unless I'm just fugly upside down, which I did trade into this car on the spur of the moment, so I may be a few thousand wrong-side up. We will see. Nothing really "jumps out" at me for a replacement. I would like to stay at $35K or below, and the Subaru BRZ STi was one I was heavily considering, but it's nowhere near out yet.

Suggestions?

Criteria: Power/Weight ratio of 9.5#/hp or better
    Skidpad: Near 1G or better
    Interior: Nice, suede, NAV, etc. similar to my Z
    Lay-out: 2 seater preferred, RWD, would consider AWD, but the subaru's are too boxy for me.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Another common misconception: you don't get to pick the shop. This one annoys almost every policy holder, but its clearly defined in your policy. You can make a strong argument for the dealership, but ultimately its the agent's decision who it goes to.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Another common misconception: you don't get to pick the shop. This one annoys almost every policy holder, but its clearly defined in your policy. You can make a strong argument for the dealership, but ultimately its the agent's decision who it goes to.

I'm sticking with whoever they suggest, so if it's not perfect, it's their dime that fixes it. After looking at things, I'm holding out for the BRZ STi. I have gotten more and more into "drivers cars" as time goes by. My C6Z started me on that path. Power means less and less to me than does a nice supportive interior (which the STi should have), and great handling dynamics. So far, I hear the BRZ's are amazing in that area, and the STi should be, even more so.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sollidus_
    Top Bottom