Not what I had planned for this morning. :(

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    For something different that still has good performance but is not a sardine can take a look at a Dodge Challenger SRT8

I considered it, but I like sports cars/drivers cars. The SRT8 has okay power/weight, but it's just not able to deliver in the corners the way I want, and corners have become more interesting to me than straight-line performance.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    If the frame is bent or warped at all they have to total. At least that is the way it used to be. Find a company that will check the frame over really well. Maybe you will be lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    My stable has contained: 1968 corvette, 2002 mustang GT (12.8@109), 2001 Trans Am WS6, 2005 Vette, 2005 Boxster, and a 2006 RX-8.

The stable listed so that I can say this and not be flamed too hard: For a drivers car, you cant beat the RX-8. It's not incredibly fast in a straight line (high 13's or so) but it out handles everything on 4 wheels. I mean its just incredible- go test drive one, just don't drive the auto...its -36hp. It sucks gas and sucks oil harder, but you can hairpin turns with one finger over 140 and never fishtail the rear end. Youtube the Top Gear review- they really can't do it justice. Best part is the resale is dirt cheap. 2012's loaded for high teens low 20's... plenty left in your budget for mods.

FWIW I looked at the dodge as well. fast and sexy on the outside, but the interior is as cheap and ugly as the reliability ratings.

Edit: after reminiscing my drive of the 370z, I can tell you the only two cars on this list that'll qualify as a suitable replacement are the boxster or rx8 if you want a "drivers car". just my .02

Edit again: friend owns a dodge dealership, and specifically told me not to buy a challenger. The Barracuda returns for 2013.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Boose is correct by the way- any frame damage is a federal safety mandate, and the car is deemed totaled as it no longer meets the guidelines for structural safety requirements.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    My stable has contained: 1968 corvette, 2002 mustang GT (12.8@109), 2001 Trans Am WS6, 2005 Vette, 2005 Boxster, and a 2006 RX-8.

The stable listed so that I can say this and not be flamed too hard: For a drivers car, you cant beat the RX-8. It's not incredibly fast in a straight line (high 13's or so) but it out handles everything on 4 wheels. I mean its just incredible- go test drive one, just don't drive the auto...its -36hp. It sucks gas and sucks oil harder, but you can hairpin turns with one finger over 140 and never fishtail the rear end. Youtube the Top Gear review- they really can't do it justice. Best part is the resale is dirt cheap. 2012's loaded for high teens low 20's... plenty left in your budget for mods.

FWIW I looked at the dodge as well. fast and sexy on the outside, but the interior is as cheap and ugly as the reliability ratings.

I have heard a lot of good about the RX8, but the engine is a killer for me. I have heard they have some reliability problems that get expensive later in the car's life. Also, it's been discontinued. I would kindof like to keep a car long-term, but have serious reservations about keeping one that has been hit decently hard long-term.

Thus far my stable has included:

1993 Police Interceptor with 5.4L transplant
    1995 Trans Am
    1988 5.0GT (crate motor, etc.)
    2001 WS.6
    2002 G20 (yawn)
    2011 Z06
    2012 370Z
    2013 ???

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Boose is correct by the way- any frame damage is a federal safety mandate, and the car is deemed totaled as it no longer meets the guidelines for structural safety requirements.

Damn me for not ramping the curb HARD as I pulled off the road :(

Really hope it got the frame. Maybe being pinned between an SUV as it spun into me (it looked like classic over-correction to avoid a spin, causing a spin, and slammed into my left front tire region) and the concrete barrier. Maybe...maybe. The 370Z is Monocoque construction, and I don't know where you would even begin to TRY to fix that.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    You can not fix frame damage. Once it is bent or warped the integrity is compromised. It is an automatic total at that point.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Sold the rx-8 before i moved to louisiana after reading too many stories about temp-failure n CPU shutdown. Too many guys posted that in 95+degree weather the wankel simply wouldnt crank as a "engine defensive precaution".

That was the dealbreaker for me. For a garage-queen or weekend track duty, its monster fun to drive.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    You can not fix frame damage. Once it is bent or warped the integrity is compromised. It is an automatic total at that point.

The car doesn't look like that has happened to me, but...what do you think? Odds based on pix and description of incident?

This occurred at about 40mph, I had slowed for a fraction of a second before impact.
    xr9dc.jpg

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    due to the height differential, it'd have to be an awful hard impact to barrier to cause frame damage... but ive seen stranger things happen.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Sold the rx-8 before i moved to louisiana after reading too many stories about temp-failure n CPU shutdown. Too many guys posted that in 95+degree weather the wankel simply wouldnt crank as a "engine defensive precaution".

That was the dealbreaker for me. For a garage-queen or weekend track duty, its monster fun to drive.

I keep seeing Scion FRS's and thinking how sexy they are for $25K, and wishing they had a few more horses, wider tires, bigger brakes, nicer interior---basically everything the BRZ STi will have. I'm really thinking of the BRZ STi as a hard-top S2000 with a different personality and a few more toys. I never owned an S2K, but would have loved for Honda to still be making the AP2 with a few tweaks like NAV. The BRZ STi is as close as I can get.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    due to the height differential, it'd have to be an awful hard impact to barrier to cause frame damage... but ive seen stranger things happen.

Her rim/tire is what hit me the hardest from what I can tell, and the side-rail mainly hit my rims/tires. Most of the impact went to the rims/tires. I don't know a lot about what happens in a wreck, so I'm clueless here.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Another common misconception: you don't get to pick the shop. This one annoys almost every policy holder, but its clearly defined in your policy. You can make a strong argument for the dealership, but ultimately its the agent's decision who it goes to.

My sister in law called me for my opinion on who she wanted to have the insurance send truck too for quote/repair. They gave her the option(progressive)

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Progressive does that quite often- its a courtesy, and according to your policy it is ultimately not the policyholders choice. Dont take my word for it, call your agent and ask them if push comes shove who makes final call: they do.

FYI: my wife works for progressive

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    and yes, the BRZ STI looks fkn amazing... just googled its the first ive seen. I'd def test drive that bad boy

Yep. It should be a very VERY fun ride for where I'm headed (NW Arkansas, lots of nice, twisty roads). It should have 20-30hp over the current BRZ, a better suspension, brakes, and interior. I'm probably trading as soon as it hits American soil if I'm not too upside down after his wreck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sollidus_
    Top Bottom