open carry for someone under 21

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trentwoodard

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I will be purchasing a p89 from a friend later this week, and had some questions. I've tried writing to a email address from the LSP website, but after 6 weeks, got no reply.

1. Am I legally allowed to open carry? (i'm only 20 years old)
    2. If I want to sell the gun, what type of paperwork do I need.
    3. If i'm not allowed to open carry, am I allowed to keep it in the car? Does it need to be in sight? What counts as concealed in a car?

I've tried www.packing.org but dont find specific answers for our state. Just a copy of the laws, which I can read anywhere!

Any help would be appreciated

** i hope i dont get arrested for having a gun b\c im not 21. :(

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    open carry is legal but there will be a debate as to whether it's encouraged or discouraged
    no paperwork is legally needed but to cover your ass you might want a bill of sale with a witness
    you can keep it in your car, it can be concealed in your car as your car is an extension of your home.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I had an interesting senerio before.... I was 18, I took a walk down Prescott (not a good area of Baton Rouge) with a holstered .357 in on hand and a 12 ga. over my shoulder. I got a few looks, even a B.R. police officer passed by and gave me a neck breaking look... but he knew he couldn't do anything. I was walking from my friend's mom's house to his house, which was 3 houses down.:rofl:

now this was 10 years ago and some people are a little different about those things even in that short of a period of time, so the senerio might be different today, but the most they can do is harrass you a little.

trentwoodard

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    i'm guessing id get a few looks - especially from police/security guards.

just thought i'd ask now, rather than ask the police officer thats arresting me.

glockboy98

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2006
    Metairie
    well seeing how you have to be 21 to legally own a pistol and you're 20..that doesn't sound too bright. Open carry is technically legal, but certain areas of the state are too populated and you will be arrested for misdemeanor ******** just to hassle you. So its not too good of a move to do it, but you shouldn't legally be in purchasing a pistol anyway if you're 20.

Top Kek

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    nola
    well seeing how you have to be 21 to legally own a pistol and you're 20..that doesn't sound too bright. Open carry is technically legal, but certain areas of the state are too populated and you will be arrested for misdemeanor ******** just to hassle you. So its not too good of a move to do it, but you shouldn't legally be in purchasing a pistol anyway if you're 20.
    :rolleyes: :mamoru:

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La

Im older now and dont have to worry about this anymore, but unless laws have changed, this in NOT correct. You have to be 21 to legally BUY a firearm, but that does not keep you from recieving one as a gift from someone. I also know when I was 18-21 I purchased a few handguns as a private sale, and never had any throuble. I had to use one one time in a defense situation, and was only 20 at the time. About the only thing the cop said about it was Man, a pre ban, you still got the hi-cap mags, and he commented on my choice of ammo. Never said anything about me being under 21 and carrying.

glockboy98

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2006
    Metairie
    well i dunno, i don't see how that would make any sense. You can't legally purchase one, so you buy one from a friend...I can't see how thats legal. That's the same as anyone who can't purchase a firearm and gets one from someone else...a straw purchase, well not really a straw purchase, but still you can't legally obtain one. I don't know if the gift applies to this, since you can't legally buy one, i don't see how you could legally own one even if it's a gift. Unless it was a parent's gun or something like that, that you had in the car or something.

glockboy98

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2006
    Metairie
    and technically it depends on parish laws too, cause some parishes have their own laws about keeping a weapon in a car/on your person. Orleans is pretty strict about things, i hear from some officers that you can't have the gun concealed on your person in the car in Orleans, but in Jefferson it's fine. So, its all a matter of who's telling you what that day it seems.

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    well i dunno, i don't see how that would make any sense. You can't legally purchase one, so you buy one from a friend...I can't see how thats legal. That's the same as anyone who can't purchase a firearm and gets one from someone else...a straw purchase, well not really a straw purchase, but still you can't legally obtain one. I don't know if the gift applies to this, since you can't legally buy one, i don't see how you could legally own one even if it's a gift. Unless it was a parent's gun or something like that, that you had in the car or something.

Would you agree that you could openly carry your dads pistol lets say to the hunting camp, or even to the range?

Im not sure how private sales go about being 21, but whose responsibility is that? Is it yours as a seller to verify that the person buying a gun from you (private sale) is 21 or older? You arent required to do a background check, so I wouldnt imagine you were required ot check an ID.

Like I said Im no expert, but I do know I owned a few pistols before I was 21, all were private sale, and a couple I carried a few times while I was under 21. I know that doesnt necessarly make it legal, but the way it was explained to me (this is over 10 years ago though) by a gun store owner was that I could not purchase a gun from him, but I could buy one "private sell" from a friend or stranger while I was still under 21.

I think its a good discussion, maybe some LEO's will give us a straight answer, or someone who feels like researching gun ownership laws.

trentwoodard

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I think its a good discussion, maybe some LEO's will give us a straight answer, or someone who feels like researching gun ownership laws.

i think that getting some LEO's in the conversation would be great. Problem is, different parishes, departments, etc. might look apon this in different ways. Word from a lawyer friend is that open carry is no big deal, and that owning a handgun before 21 isnt against the laws either.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    well in order to carry it "open carry" you would have to have it in a holster right? duh yeah! but some states say that even it is in a holster it is concealed. If you carry a gun in your hand down the street, You better believe you WILL get stopped by the Police, no two ways about it. Im gonn ago read in the LRS statue on concealed weapons... ill post it in a few

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    to clear up some confusion, it's my understanding that you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer but you can buy a handgun from a private party at 18...

trentwoodard

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Louisiana RS 14:95.8

A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile.

I take that this means that as long as you are 17, you can possess a handgun. This does not mention concealment though.

trentwoodard

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    so its settled then ?

I can legally purchase a gun from another person, but not from a store. I can carry it on my person as long as its not concealed - and I will probobly be harassed by LEO's about possessing it at all.

Sounds.... difficult.

trentwoodard

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I was more worried about the legal side of "owning" the gun - and it seems that i've hit a sore spot with some people. (which is good in a way)

I guess there are two sides to every situation - and its good to know the opinions of both sides.

The whole situation seems to be open to interpretation...

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I'm with LSP on this one... I was going to post but I dont want anyone to do something and say "but a cop on the internet said it was ok!"

basically, I dont mind people having a gun, its their right. Long as its not obtained illegally, they arent a felon, they dont have it concealed on them with no CCW, they dont tell me its concealed on them with or without a CCW, I ask if they have one, they tell me no, and I find it anyway... etc.

Basically, never, ever surprise me with a gun... cause that makes me think your planning on doing bad things to good people.

Top Bottom