Palo Alto

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrmccoy

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    Hammond
    I have been reading about the matchs once a month. I have a few questions about them. I see the prone and F-class what type of rifle is required for those? I also see peopel refering to service rifle class. What rifles qualify for service rifle. Is there a limit on optics on any of the classes? I would love to make it out to the next match and check out everything and possibly shoot.
    Thanks
    Jonathan

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Try "paloaltogunclub.com", that should get you where you want to go. If you are still having problems send me a PM and I will get yuo intouch with someone that can help.

Bryan
    "Beauxdog"
    L-2311 :)

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    For prone shooting, an open sighted rifle must be used. This can be a service rifle or match rifle. you shoot from the prone position using only a sling for support. These matches are fired at 600 yards.

F-Class allows scoped rifles and either bi-pods or rests. It is also fired at 600 yards.

When we refer to service rifle shooting, we are typically referring to across the course highpower. Across the course is a match that consists of firing at 200 yards from the standing and sitting positions, 300 yards from the prone position and 600 from the prone position. M1 Garands, M14s (or M1As) and M16s (or commercial semi-auto clones) are the only legal service rifles. The M16 style rifle is the most popular with about 95% of competitors shooting it. This type of match may also be fire from a reduced range with properly scaled down targets. If you search for my postings you will run across more in depth explanations about the foregoing. You are also welcome to email me at dzelenka at couhigpartners dot com.

Dan

PS if you want to try service rifle shooting, I can arrange loaner equipment. Also, there is a match on March 21 at Palo Alto if you want to come check it out and meet the guys.

mrmccoy

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    Hammond
    I have a bushmaster ar-15 and A ptr-91 (hk91 clone) I assume both would fit into the service rifle class? Do you have to be a member of palo alto to shoot in a match?

mpl2353

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    not the ptr-91, they mean a standard issue service rifle that the U.S. military has issued to a basic infantry man.

The AR-15 has to have a 20" barrel, A2/A1 stock, standard AR-15 grip, a standard carry handle(no rails, can be detatchable) and a standard A2 front sight with a post, the handguards must be standard A2 full length handguards.

Other rifles in the service rifle category include: M1 Garand and the M14/M1A.

They must all use standard rear aperture and front post.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Pretty close. The 1903 Springfield is not a Service Rifle and has not been for many years.

If you want to shoot, don't worry about rifles. We have loaners.

mrmccoy

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    Hammond
    Sounds good as of now i will be there! I may bring one possibly two people with me that want to check it out. Depending on how brave I'm feeling I may shoot but will let you know at least a week before for sure. Is there anything other then ammo that one should bring?

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Sounds good as of now i will be there! I may bring one possibly two people with me that want to check it out. Depending on how brave I'm feeling I may shoot but will let you know at least a week before for sure. Is there anything other then ammo that one should bring?

The best introductory match is the 200 yard reduced course at Gonzales on the 4th Sunday which this month is the 22nd. Everyone is getting ready for a big regional match the 3rd weekend of April so I will be short of coaches at Palo Alto on the 21st. When you come you will need ammo, a sweatshirt, a glove for your non trigger hand, and a cooler with some snacks and drinks.

Come out to Palo Alto on the 21st and meet the guys, check things out and be ready to shoot on Sunday the 22nd at Gonzales. Contact me offline if you need any information.

Dan

LCPL 4

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Badger Free Zone
    Google Earth KML file attached. Just rename extension from .txt to .kml

It's located off of Hwy 943. I pulled these from GE -

Dec. Deg. - 30.087163, -91.089650

Deg-Min-Sec - 30d05'13.8" , 91d05'22.7"

Top Bottom