Question for the LEO's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Ok, So today me and two buddies went to the range today at Honey Island. We live in Baton Rouge, so it is a pretty good drive. On the way there were more than 4 cars pulled over by LSP, or Sheriff's. Like I said, there is 3 of us, and between the 3 of us we brought 8 pistols, 7 rifles, and 2 shotguns. And probably around 2000 rounds of ammunition.

Now the question, say we get pulled over for tail light out, no blinker use, dark tint or whatever else. What is the SOP for when you pull over a vehicle with this amount of weapons?

No, it didn't happen. Just out of curiosity's sake.

Thanks guys.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    As long as you tell them what you have as soon as they approach the car, I would think all would be well. I am sure they would just have you guys step outside the vehicle. They may run the numbers on the guns as well, just to make sure they are not stolen.

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah that's what I was wondering...if EVERY serial number has to be ran. Just seems like a lengthy (but very necessary) process.

Duck Jenkins

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    NO/LA Area
    Why does every number have to be ran? What gives the cop the right to check the guns if there is no indication they are stolen? Just asking. When I get stopped I let them do what the want because at most, I am getting a ticket. everything else has always been legal.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    You never know, you might just make a freind. If he is a shooter he may have the attitude that yall share common interest and spark good conversation. That is if you don't have something to hide. Just be honest and tell him where ya going and thats why you have so many toys with yall.;)

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Ok, So today me and two buddies went to the range today at Honey Island. We live in Baton Rouge, so it is a pretty good drive. On the way there were more than 4 cars pulled over by LSP, or Sheriff's. Like I said, there is 3 of us, and between the 3 of us we brought 8 pistols, 7 rifles, and 2 shotguns. And probably around 2000 rounds of ammunition.

Now the question, say we get pulled over for tail light out, no blinker use, dark tint or whatever else. What is the SOP for when you pull over a vehicle with this amount of weapons?

No, it didn't happen. Just out of curiosity's sake.

Thanks guys.

Funny you ask... Every time we load up to go shoot we joke about this same situation.

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Why would you tell them what you have in your car?

troll-face-funny.png

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    A lot of how the situation unfolds is your appearance, and attitude.

No two stops will be the same.

I agree.

It would also depend on which dept stops you and the LEO. They could just ask you where you're going with all the guns, tell you to fix your tail light and thats it or they could have you on the side of the road for awhile running every number on the guns.
    I've only been in one stop where the LEO ran my gun, I think it was a waste of mine and his time. He was looking for a person that had shot someone in the leg at a store. They suspect was 5'6" with tattoos and a gotee, I'm 6'5" and you couldn't put a tattoo on me and no gotee. I went by the book with the stop telling him I had a CHP, I was squeaky clean, me, truck, DL and CHP. And I had a truck full of newspapers. I always shoot people on my route and then keep on working. :rolleyes:

Hey while he had me stopped he was safe, chasing the shooter wouldn't be.
    So every stop can be different so no telling what yours will be.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Perhaps the LEOs are tired of answering, but I believe that the SOP is to ask for your drivers license, registration, and proof of insurance.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Perhaps the LEOs are tired of answering, but I believe that the SOP is to ask for your drivers license, registration, and proof of insurance.

Agree. I got pulled over in Livonia on my to Sherburne one morning a couple years ago. Was loaded down with weapons and ammo. He pulled me over, asked for the above and wrote me a ticket. At no point in time did I feel inclined to announce to him that I had 3 pistols and 8 rifles (including an AK) with me in my car. Not that anything I had was illegal, but I just didn't feel like messing with any of that BS unless he asked me if I had any weapons in the car (which he did not).

Keep in mind that I was respectful to the officer and was dressed normally. If he would have asked, I would have told him everything I had and its purpose, sir. ;)

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    No one likes being inconvenienced or hassled. It is human nature. But in recollecting my stop by LSP on the I-10, at night in St James Parish, a few years back, this trooper was visibly nervous when I offered that I was CH permitee and had guns on board. He almost acted as if he was treating me like a was inconvenience to him.

He fumbled with my weapon to unload it, he disengaged my magazine onto the concrete, he went to his car to call it all in, etc. After that, he asked if I had any more guns, and did the routine (except dropping magazine), over again. I could have offered that I had another weapon on my own but was told by many; when you get stopped, be polite and courteous, yes sir/no sir, and just answer the questions specifically. No need to elaborate or offer extra info.

I will never disrespect an LEO in performance of his duties, but this stop was bothering me. And it still bothers me when I think about today. I can see the various attitudes by members in their posts, some are pro-rights, some are pro-law enforcement, and everyone has a different view.

But this question should be answered more specifically than it has thus far, because FWIW, I believe we as citizens do have right to expect a certain consistency in policy with a police encounter. No two stops are the same? True. But I am not a criminal and do not want be treated as such because an LEO may be undertrained, stressed on the job, unappreciated, pissed off, overworked, whatever.

If I was transferring MY collection from my old home in N.O. to my new home in B.R., and this guy would have stopped me; I think I would have been there all night or he would have called the calvary.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jamesernestomurray
    Top Bottom