Russia sends warship to the Caribbean

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Russians have been doing military exercises all over the world for decades. This might be new territory, but isn't new practice. However, the news will hype it up to seem like the world is falling. Every time a MEU goes out they are trailed by a russian or chinese sub. Heck, we train right off the coast of russia and china. Are we invading? Just a little saber rattling. They are trying to get an ally over here because of what's going on in Poland. Cuba isn't the power house ally russia used to have. Chavez is now. Nothing really new going on.

Did you read the article? This isn't any old excercise. Chavez and Russian defense experts are saying it IS to flex a little muscle and give the finger to the US. Plus, Russia is supplying armaments to Chavez's (ie. America hater) army.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    he's right. article says "first time this has been done since the Cold War"......

It says first time in Latin America since the cold war. Russia had a massive exercise with China in 2007. Like I said, saber rattling. Russia, since Putin, has a renewed sense of nationalism. Are we entering a new cold war? I don't believe so.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    No one can predict the future or what other people are planning. Only thing we know for sure is history will repeat itself.

How stealthy are the submarines? What is the possibility they could be docked off the coasts right this minute?

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    It says first time in Latin America since the cold war. Russia had a massive exercise with China in 2007. Like I said, saber rattling. Russia, since Putin, has a renewed sense of nationalism. Are we entering a new cold war? I don't believe so.

"Hugo Chávez, the President, said then that the arrival of the strike force was a warning to the US. "

"The Kremlin has courted Venezuela and Cuba as tensions with the West soared over the proposed US missile shield in Eastern Europe and the Russian invasion of Georgia last month. Vladimir Putin, the Prime Minister, said recently that Russia should “restore its position in Cuba” – the nation where deployment of Soviet nuclear missiles in 1962 brought Russia and the United States to the brink of nuclear war."

"Igor Sechin, the Deputy Prime Minister, made clear that Russia would challenge the US for influence in Latin America "

"Pavel Felgengauer, a leading Russian defence expert, told The Times: “It’s to show the flag and the finger to the United States. They are offering a sort of gangland deal – if you get into our territory, then we will get into yours. You leave Georgia and Ukraine to us and we won’t go into the Caribbean, OK?”

What don't you get Penguin? How do you not think they are not trying to do another cold war WHEN THEY ADMIT TO IT!!:squint:

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    No one can predict the future or what other people are planning. Only thing we know for sure is history will repeat itself.

How stealthy are the submarines? What is the possibility they could be docked off the coasts right this minute?

They are very stealthy and they are always patrolling our coasts. Have since the cold war. The US has a vast sub-aquatic acoustic monitoring system and does what it can. However, subs of many countries prowl the shipping lanes, do target runs and surveillance and always will.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    What don't you get Penguin? How do you not think they are not trying to do another cold war WHEN THEY ADMIT TO IT!!:squint:

And that's your conspiracy theory. Russia has a new found sense of nationalism and looks to flex its muscle. They want to be a world player. They are looking to make allies, like we have, and pre-position themselves around the world. They want to be a global power and this is how to do it. Will it work? The country found new riches in the oil meltdown. They are building up their military again. However, the oil won't last and they don't have as much might as they once did. Their economy is still hurting and they realize they can do better using the US's successful strategies; build allies, build a powerful military and then use that military to help influence global politics. Every great nation has done that. Russia almost had the formula but they missed it when the bet the farm on just military strength and use of power versus tactic negotiations. I think they would like to have a show of force, make certain allies and then use their global influence to open broader markets of commerce. Putin is smart. He knows that they had to re-build their military to be a global power-but that straight power can lead to downfall. I don't think they want a coldwar. That would ostracize them too much from the global community. In sum, I think they want a broader goal of economic power based upon a strong military. Problem is, they hang out with the people that we don't play well with. There will be another global power and they will be the antagonist, but I don't think we'll be ducking and covering anytime soon. The biggest thing for decades to come will be terrorism. That's what will be supported. Now, for that I don't like him teaming up with Chavez. But Chavez, unlike Castro, isn't as well liked by the people right now. His power is already beginning to falter. I give him 5 years until open elections or until he becomes a dictator and a coup arises ala east africa.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    And that's your conspiracy theory. Russia has a new found sense of nationalism and looks to flex its muscle. They want to be a world player. They are looking to make allies, like we have, and pre-position themselves around the world. They want to be a global power and this is how to do it. Will it work? The country found new riches in the oil meltdown. They are building up their military again. However, the oil won't last and they don't have as much might as they once did. Their economy is still hurting and they realize they can do better using the US's successful strategies; build allies, build a powerful military and then use that military to help influence global politics. Every great nation has done that. Russia almost had the formula but they missed it when the bet the farm on just military strength and use of power versus tactic negotiations. I think they would like to have a show of force, make certain allies and then use their global influence to open broader markets of commerce. Putin is smart. He knows that they had to re-build their military to be a global power-but that straight power can lead to downfall. I don't think they want a coldwar. That would ostracize them too much from the global community. In sum, I think they want a broader goal of economic power based upon a strong military. Problem is, they hang out with the people that we don't play well with. There will be another global power and they will be the antagonist, but I don't think we'll be ducking and covering anytime soon. The biggest thing for decades to come will be terrorism. That's what will be supported. Now, for that I don't like him teaming up with Chavez. But Chavez, unlike Castro, isn't as well liked by the people right now. His power is already beginning to falter. I give him 5 years until open elections or until he becomes a dictator and a coup arises ala east africa.

Dude, I know you didn't read the article, so I took the liberty of quoting the important stuff. Did you read that?! Christ! *Oops* Allah! Buddha! Vishnu!

What don't you get that this is a calculated effort against the US? Maybe in response to the Gergian conflict, who knows? Why blow off a blatant ***** You* towards us? How long till Chavez and Ahmadenijad have the tools needed to **** us in the ass?

But everything is gonna be ok right? Russia is just lonely and wants friends....

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Chavez does not hate the US he hates Bush.

I've studied Chavez quite a bit more than the avg person has...this couldn't be a more true statement.

He likes the American people a lot, he hates to see what our government has done to our country, rights, and freedoms. He's got more respect for our Constitution than our own government does, that is a damned shame.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    And now Chavez is freakin' Robin Hood???

Jesus Christ on a crutch...:rolleyes:

Yes, my son?

jumpinjesusonapogostick-nateabusa.jpg

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez visited a Harlem church Thursday and promised to double the amount of discounted heating oil his country ships to needy Americans. But he also took another swipe at President Bush.

A day after he called Bush "the devil" in a speech to the U.N. General Assembly, Chavez said of the president: "He's an alcoholic and a sick man."

Chavez received a round of applause from the crowd at Mount Baptist Olive Church, which included activists and other supporters as well as actor Danny Glover.

Bush has acknowledged that he had a drinking problem when he was young but gave up alcohol 20 years ago.

Chavez also called Bush's policies in Iraq criminal, adding he hopes Americans will before long "awaken" and elect a better president. The Venezuelan said that while he opposes Bush, the American people "are our friends."

Some in the church laughed and applauded when Chavez compared Bush to the cowboy movie icon John Wayne.

Chavez also announced that Citgo, the U.S.-based refining arm of Venezuela's state-run oil company, plans to more than double the amount of heating oil it is making available under the program to 100 million gallons this winter, up from 40 million gallons.

He said the oil will reach people in 18 states, including Indians in Alaska, some of whom were flown to New York for the ceremony and attended in traditional dress. They performed a traditional dance for Chavez and offered him a walrus figurine carved out of whale bone as a gift.

Chavez started the heating oil program last winter, accusing Bush of neglecting the poor. The United States continues to be the top buyer of Venezuelan oil, bringing the South American country billions of dollars in earnings that help fund Chavez's popular social programs.

The Venezuelan president repeated his warning that if the U.S. government tries to oust him, his country would halt oil sales to the U.S. Chavez said Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's position is the same.

"If that were to happen, the price of oil could reach $200 a barrel," Chavez said, adding that he'd like to see a U.S. president "who you could talk with."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom