S&W 908 and +P ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    I own a S&W 908 (aluminum frame) which is the "value line" of the 3rd gen pistols.
    My question is....
    Can the 908 handle +P ammunition?
    I currently have my 908 loaded with Corbon 124grn +P ammo.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I’ve found post saying it’s fine and some post saying use +P sparingly. I’ve called S&W multiple times over the years and they’ve always been very helpful, I’d suggest calling them.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    a 908 is just a cheaper version of 39-2; they used plastic instead of aluminum for non important parts, like trigger assy, spring guide rod, plactic grips instead of wood, etc etc;

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    a 908 is just a cheaper version of 39-2; they used plastic instead of aluminum for non important parts, like trigger assy, spring guide rod, plactic grips instead of wood, etc etc;
    My 908 has a metal guide rod and wrap around Hogue grips....

Attachments

• 20230706_171427.jpg
      20230706_171427.jpg
      356.2 KB · Views: 43
    • 20230706_171436.jpg
      20230706_171436.jpg
      329.1 KB · Views: 39
    • 20230706_171634.jpg
      20230706_171634.jpg
      249.8 KB · Views: 43

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My 908 has a metal guide rod and wrap around Hogue grips....
    They were swapped.
    I have quite a few 3rd gen Smith's and a few new in box Value Line guns.
    Your gun is same size as 3913 but black in color,
    The value line. Came with a plastic guide rod and no serrations on the trigger guard, is not ambidexterous but other than that the parts are completely interchangeable so if you want the steel guide rod easy to change it out! Also all the value line were less round and more square, had plastic sights vs Novak
    Both guns could handle a mag of Plus P Ammo I asked S&W tech. But was told not to make a habit of doing so with any of their alloy framed 3rd gens.
    Lets face it, if ya fearing for life and that's your carry ammo let um fly. It will be fine. But use normal ammo normally.
    The one my wife has is loaded with Nosler Match HPs. She shot those best with the smaller gun and alloy frame. A follow up shot with them due to less recoil was what she did best with.
    I am wondering where our resident 3rd gen packrat Stephen is.
    Note)
    I carry a 3rd Gen Smith. And in my car have 4 D-Cell Maglite.
    My options may give outdated info

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    And they were swapped.
    I have quite a few 3rd gen Smith's and a few new in box Value Line guns.
    Your gun is same size as 3913 but black in color,
    The value line. Came with a plastic guide rod and no serrations on the trigger guard, is not ambidexterous but other than that the parts are completely interchangeable so if you want the steel guide rod easy to change it out! Also all the value line were less round and more square, had plastic sights vs Novak
    Both guns could handle a mag of Plus P Ammo I asked S&W tech. But was told not to make a habit of doing so with any of their alloy framed 3rd gens.
    Lets face it, if ya fearing for life and that's your carry ammo let um fly. It will be fine. But use normal ammo normally
    The one my wife has is loaded with Nosler Match HPs. She shot those best with the smaller gun and alloy frame. A follow up shot with less recoil was what she did best with.
    I am wondering where our resident 3rd gen packrat Stephen is.
    Note)
    I carry a 3rd Gen Smith. And in my car have 4 D-Cell Maglite.
    My options may give outdated info
    The guide rod was swapped and I only use +P for carry purposes only. When running drills with the 908, I use standard pressure loads.
    Every once in a while I'll run +P through it at the range just to get familiarized with the recoil.... but not all the time.

Top Bottom