Selling a utility trailer question?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I’m the only owner and have the title. Can I sign the title over to a buyer or do we have to have it notarized? And what about the license plate, do I keep it or does it go with the buyer? Thanks

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    The title will have to be notarized, the plate can be transferred to the new owner, (it can also be transferred on a pickup truck just a FYI)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the title will act as bill of sale, you an however use another bill of sale if you want to keep as a record.

T-boy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    st. amant
    Trailer plates do not transfer, permanent or not. New owner will be asked which they would prefer. I think it's one year, 2 year or permanent.

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    The title will have to be notarized, the plate can be transferred to the new owner, (it can also be transferred on a pickup truck just a FYI)

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the title will act as bill of sale, you an however use another bill of sale if you want to keep as a record.

Nope, not in the state of Louisana. All you need is two wittnesses to wittness the sale of it. No notaraziation required. Been down that road many times before and the dmv and with my insurrance agent who is also a notary and stated that the title does not need to be notarized if witnessed and sighned off by two wittnesses. I would pull the plate though and turn in into the dmv so you dont tagged by the dmv with a "vehicle" that is not inssured. I never had an issue with doing it that way through the dmv in all of the transactions I went through in the past. But if the seller is wary, get it notarized for piece of mind.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Nope, not in the state of Louisana. All you need is two wittnesses to wittness the sale of it. No notaraziation required. Been down that road many times before and the dmv and with my insurrance agent who is also a notary and stated that the title does not need to be notarized if witnessed and sighned off by two wittnesses. I would pull the plate though and turn in into the dmv so you dont tagged by the dmv with a "vehicle" that is not inssured. I never had an issue with doing it that way through the dmv in all of the transactions I went through in the past. But if the seller is wary, get it notarized for piece of mind.

Does myself or the buyer count as one witness?

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I was under the assumption that if you went the witness route, then it would have to be notarized after the fact with one of the witnesses present. I’ll do some more google-fu so I know better..

Actually, if anyone could please post a link showing that trailer plates aren’t transferable, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Ive bought and sold a half dozen or so trailers. Plates are NOT transferrable no mater if perm or not. The easist route is to have the seller and buyer sign the title with 1 witness and then a second witness can later accompany you to the notary for the title work. I have one sitting on the counter right now that i need to go get taken care of.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    If I were buying or selling a trailer, I would have the other party meet me at a private tag agency and have all the paperwork done there.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I read it. Does not say a permanent isn’t transferable. Only prestige plates are not. I don’t think permanent is considered prestige or is it.

All I know is a trailer plate that is not permanent can be transferred. You can either meet with buyer at a notary, or have two witnesses other than yourselves sign and let the seller go with witnesses to notary afterwards. It had to be notarized though. I personally would go to notary myself to make sure I get a notarized copy of bill of sale. Good luck.

5star

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    West baton rouge
    I think the problem is the DMV. Usually the people working there don’t know the rules...
    everyone has a different experience because of what the person behind the counter “thinks” they need to do.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I think the problem is the DMV. Usually the people working there don’t know the rules...
    everyone has a different experience because of what the person behind the counter *thinks* they need to do.

That's why you need to deal with a private tag agency. DMV employees get paid the same if they help you or not. Private tag agencies get paid for transactions and they notarize your forms. And you don't have to wait in line behind people without insurance trying to get their license reinstated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom