Shotgun for home defense?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I'm pretty sure that loop hole was closed so do some real research before you go
    I'm pretty sure that loop hole was closed so do some real research before you go there.
    Put a pistol grip in place of the birdhead and it is short enough to be NFA, add a stock with that short barrel and it’s NFA, but add a pistol brace and it’s just as legal as a AR pistol with a brace… until and unless the ATF rules pistol braces are SBR’s or short barreled shotguns.
    I thought only anti gunners used that “loophole” term though…

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Why ? Can you explain ?
    He’s likely correct. Prosecutors have used things like that against home defenders in the past to make them look like gung ho killers that are looking to shoot someone. Any sort of tacticool add on gives them ammo to sway the jury. All the way down to the actual ammo…
    It’s a thing. Not a new thing. Come on man.
    Or another explanation: Joe Potato said to use a double barrel shotgun.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    He’s likely correct. Prosecutors have used things like that against home defenders in the past to make them look like gung ho killers that are looking to shoot someone. Any sort of tacticool add on gives them ammo to sway the jury. All the way down to the actual ammo…
    Can you cite a single example of a case ? Other than "I have heard of..."

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Personally I think something like that is kind of irrelevant and doesn’t hold much weight. If someone has to legally defend themselves with a firearm and the only thing they did wrong was use an AR instead of some other gun do you think that alone would produce a guilty verdict?
    I’m not doubting the prosecutor will try to use any and every angle they can. Look at the case with Kyle when they tried to use the fact he used fmj against him. In the end it held no weight.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Wassamatta bro? You no have google? I ain’t here to argue with someone the likes of you. May you find out the hard way as far as I’m concerned. Nothing to prove to you.
    How about you just ignore any warnings from anyone trying to save you the trouble. It’s kind of like posting how you’d obliterate someone breaking into your home and then you happen to do so. Ya think a prosecutor would ignore that you actually planned to kill someone? Even though the perp is breaking the law, the law can hold you liable for what I’d call “overkill”. Even self defense has limits in the eyes of a prosecutor and a JURY. You are free to doubt that all you wish. I’m not here to convince you. Truthfully, I don’t care. But the weapon can definitely be displayed to the jury and every add on and which ammo was used and what tactics were deployed can definitely come into play if a prosecutor wants your head.
    While you’re googling, check out booby trapping your home and see if that is something a prosecutor would not run with.
    Lol, good luck

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Personally I think something like that is kind of irrelevant and doesn’t hold much weight. If someone has to legally defend themselves with a firearm and the only thing they did wrong was use an AR instead of some other gun do you think that alone would produce a guilty verdict?
    I’m not doubting the prosecutor will try to use any and every angle they can. Look at the case with Kyle when they tried to use the fact he used fmj against him. In the end it held no weight.
    We all know the kid was within his rights. But we also know that case could have gone either way in any other courtroom in any other state with any other jury. I’m not so much talking about what weapon as I am anything else associated with the shooting that shows any sort of intent. A tricked out AR with all sorts of add ons and a big mag full of tactical loads can indeed be fodder for the DA to sell to the jury to make a defender look overzealous and bloodthirsty. Think about it.

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Lordy, these"Which is Best?" articles have been circulating for the 50+ years since I started shooting. My three cents? I've always recommended the 20 gauge shotgun for HD especially in households where your wife or daughter might have to use something. However, I still keep the 45acp pistol on my nightstand too, where it's only a couple of seconds away (and I can see those tritium night sights even without my eyeglasses.)

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    We all know the kid was within his rights. But we also know that case could have gone either way in any other courtroom in any other state with any other jury. I’m not so much talking about what weapon as I am anything else associated with the shooting that shows any sort of intent. A tricked out AR with all sorts of add ons and a big mag full of tactical loads can indeed be fodder for the DA to sell to the jury to make a defender look overzealous and bloodthirsty. Think about it.
    I think regardless of what’s used the DA is going to try to pin you as being guilty if it comes to that. If someone were to use a revolver the DA would probably say well he used 357 instead of 38 so clearly he wanted the guy dead and didn’t want to give him a fighting chance at living.

With the type of home invasions we see these days with multiple people kicking down doors sometimes during the middle of the day I would hate to put myself and family at a disadvantage because of worrying what people may say. I think it’s important first and foremost to have other layers of protection set up such as an alarm system, signs for the alarm, and cameras. God forbid anyone of us ever find ourselves in a situation like this but I’d feel a lot more comfortable defending my home with one of my ARs even if the DA or prosecutor wants to point out I have standard capacity 30 round magazines, a flashlight, and red dot on some of them.

I think this is good conversation to have and you know I’m not arguing with you whatsoever but more so just bringing up different scenarios and angles at what one may possibly face. Like I said earlier God forbid any of us actually have to face a situation like this hopefully it’s just good conversation at the end of the day.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Lordy, these"Which is Best?" articles have been circulating for the 50+ years since I started shooting. My three cents? I've always recommended the 20 gauge shotgun for HD especially in households where your wife or daughter might have to use something. However, I still keep the 45acp pistol on my nightstand too, where it's only a couple of seconds away (and I can see those tritium night sights even without my eyeglasses.)
    A lot of confusion come up with the what is best conversations as far as ballistics go and what type of bullet would best be suited for inside of a house. It’s crazy how many people really think that something like a 223 round is going to go through your house and into the next house or two next to you. They have plenty of videos on YouTube showing different calibers and how many layers of plywood or Sheetrock certain bullets penetrate. Pistol calibers, buckshot, and slugs almost always penetrate deeper than 223 does. Ammo selection and knowing your surroundings are really important in situations like this. The fact of the matter is with a missed shot regardless of what’s used it’s going to penetrate further than anyone wants it to.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I prefer a 9mm Glock with a 33 round magazine loaded with the same ammunition used by LEA's and a spare 33 round magazine loaded with the same ammunition near the pistol. Light on pistol and small handheld light nearby. I can operate this firearm with one hand if necessary.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    12 gauge Remington 870. Carson 18.5 Inch Barrel and cheap wood stocks off ebay from very early 870s. Added Stock extension, 300 year old piece of Bastogne walnut. Load with five two and three quarter high brass number 4 shot.

IMG_20220311_122153.jpg

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana

This video actually just came out yesterday. It’s Massad Ayoob on defending your house with an AR-15. He goes over pretty much all of the topics we have.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Wassamatta bro? You no have google? I ain’t here to argue with someone the likes of you. May you find out the hard way as far as I’m concerned. Nothing to prove to you.
    How about you just ignore any warnings from anyone trying to save you the trouble. It’s kind of like posting how you’d obliterate someone breaking into your home and then you happen to do so. Ya think a prosecutor would ignore that you actually planned to kill someone? Even though the perp is breaking the law, the law can hold you liable for what I’d call “overkill”. Even self defense has limits in the eyes of a prosecutor and a JURY. You are free to doubt that all you wish. I’m not here to convince you. Truthfully, I don’t care. But the weapon can definitely be displayed to the jury and every add on and which ammo was used and what tactics were deployed can definitely come into play if a prosecutor wants your head.
    While you’re googling, check out booby trapping your home and see if that is something a prosecutor would not run with.
    Lol, good luck
    You misspelled "I have no examples, I made that up"

I am curious what "the likes of you" means ? Someone that challenges your silly anecdotes about prosecutorial misconduct ?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Here’s a start. Took me 15 seconds. I’m finding it hard to believe you’ve never heard of such.
    It’s been discussed on this site a few times that I can remember over the years and a few for instances have come up as well as names of people that give expert testimony and so forth. It’s enough for me to remember that something definitely happened before and not feel like I need to remember every detail to know something is true. In the end, the only person I care about here is me so I know what I know and I don’t care what you want to know or not.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom