should i get rhe glock 17 or beretta 92fs please help!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    There is some minor flex in Glock lower receivers, and we can all nit-pick at unfavorable features about any pistol. The plastic receiver isn't a selling point for me- The overall package is what is important in the long run. The Glock design has fewer buttons and switches and levers than most of the "non-plastic" pistols that I have encountered. This means that the end user has fewer fine motor movements to deal with when operating the pistol. Just draw, present, bang. The manual of arms is based on gross motor function. The gun fight veterans that I have discussed this with agree that this is a favorable model for the simplification of training and execution in combat. I am a big fan of having as few variables as possible.

I have personally witnessed the reliability of the Glock platform by participating in numerous classes in which Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks were the most popular pistol on the range. If I do the math, I can (very) conservatively estimate that I have witnessed over 100,000 rounds being fired from Glocks. Of those 100,000 rounds, I'd say that I have witnessed maybe 35 actual malfunctions (FTF, FTE). Another conservative estimate would blame ammo on half of those malfunctions, which would indicate that in my experience, the Gen 3 and 4 Glock platform has about a 00.0175% failure rate in classes that I have been a part of. Even if we assume that I am crazy and triple those numbers, that is a level of reliability that I am comfortable staking my life and that of my family on. Conversely, I have watched many other platforms fail, sometimes catastrophically during these same classes.

I don't find "accuracy" to be an issue on modern pistols produced by the major manufactures, even though I constantly hear guys at the range say things like, "That X isn't as accurate as my Y" when all they did was pick up X and fire 10 shots at 10 yards all over the target. If X wasn't as accurate, then your shots would still be neatly grouped, just off of the target. What they mean is, "I'm not used to shooting X and that's why my grouping looks like ****." Unfortunately, the gun community is also an Alpha Male macho community, so most guys don't want to admit when they come up short with a gun- instead of blaming their lack of training and proficiency, they blame the gun for being "less accurate."

Combine the simplicity of operation and reliability of the Glock with the extremely broad range of parts, accessories and upgrades available for the platform, and it's difficult for me to come up with a reason not to choose it as a combat weapon. I don't use lasers or wraparound frame mounted optics on my defense weapon because I think its unrealistic to think that I will have time to put a laser pointer on someone before shooting, and a frame mounted optic sounds like a nightmare to holster and/or carry.

To answer your question though, yes, I'm sure that a $2,000 space age upgraded Glock would be "better" than a $400 used Glock off of Bayoushooter, but I also think you'd be getting into a realm of diminished returns.

Thank you for your input! It was VERY well written and VERY accurate.

Poorboy504

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Westbank/nola
    Ohhhhh, just get 3 Hipoints and be done with it. You'll save $150 or so, have 6 magazines, and a lifetime warranty when they fail. Hold one in each hand and put one in your front waistband. If one fails, you still have two more. If they all fail at the same time, you have 3 heavy bricks to throw. If you miss all 30 shots and 3 throws, it just wasn't meant to be.

But seriously, rent both the glock and beretta and get whichever one you like more. Chances are you will probably own both at some point.

cmb88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    St. Tammany Parish, La
    Poorboy....id rather use a slingshot... lol but yes iam planning on getting both at one point. i like the sigs too i wangt the 226 sooner thaan later, im leaning towards the g17 because i could use that as my carry gun(until i get a g19) and sell this keltec p-11 or trade it with some cash for something i want. my uncle has a 92fs he doesnt use and im sure i can talk him into selling it to me for a nice price maybe(hes more into older rifles, just uses it as a house gun)

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    If it were me i would go with the beretta,but i agree with the other users,try both out,sort the pros and cons and make the best decision based on info and facts.

bfromla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    G17 &33rd mags a keltec sub2000 matching grip perfect combo ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410669854.916720.jpg
    Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abu Josh

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Mandeville
    Go to your local gun store (keep Mom & Pop in business) and pick up both. It'll be like the wand scene on Harry Potter #1 and go with the one that feels right. After you buy it then buy a metric ass ton of ammo/mags and practice, practice, and practice a bit more. We trained Iraqis on their brand new USA supplied Glock 19 while we carried the M9. I like them both but feel more comfortable with the M9.

The key is to practice with what you're comfortable with so you can ALWAYS get good shot placement. Don't worry about 9mm haters either; lots of dead dudes because of 9mm.

teoguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Tucson Arizona
    Walther ppq m2 navy, out of the box is by far the best trigger. I had a 92 with slide,,trigger,,polish,,and action work. About $1,500.00 into it. Divorce, sold it. HUGE MISTAKE! Having a new one built. ( divorced, plenty of moneymaker). Always get threaded barrels. .147 grain is subsonic on a nine and all that you will hear is your slide with a gemtech. Of course JUST my opinion. If glocks for back up, no need to clean, get model 26, easiest to conceal and takes all mags up to 32, and with the grace of G-D, MAYBE EVEN A KOREAN 50.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom