Skeet semi auto........

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    What is your favorite/best semi-auto skeet gun? I want a semi auto that shoots as well as a O/U.................whats your favorite?

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Traditional skeet/trap shooters frown upon using autos, but I don't give a crap. My father-in-law seriously denounced the 1100 I used. I told him to kiss my ass.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Traditional skeet/trap shooters frown upon using autos, but I don't give a crap. My father-in-law seriously denounced the 1100 I used. I told him to kiss my ass.

Yeah my 1100 is my favorite but I haven't shot too many, and honestly I couldn't imagine it being to much better, as they say ignorance is bliss :) . I cant hit crap with my winchester X2.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA

semi's are more frowned upon in trap due to a couple reasons. When standing on the line, the guy to your right (or left if you have a southpaw gun) gets hit with your empty shell if you don't use a shell catcher. Also, with the new(er) voice activated traps, closing your bolt can can trigger the machine to throw a bird if it is sensitive. Semis are very prominent on the skeet field nowadays though, due to softer recoil, less muzzle jump and quicker follow up on the true pairs. The "best" gun is open ended, just like when someone asks what kind of pistol to get. Take every opportunity to shoot different guns if someone offers to let you try one out, rent some different ones at the range to see which one fits you best (or closest). I am partial to Beretta's. I love my Beretta O/U's, but I have been using and abusing a 391 Urika for 10+ years now in duck blinds/goose pits, out in fields dove hunting, on the skeet/trap/sporting clays course, and it keeps on ticking. Heck, I managed to bend the action spring housing inside the stock right after I got it (don't ask), and it still functioned 100%. I finally replaced it a year or so ago, after I found out is was a sub$20 part. (I was thinking it would be big bucks).
    Nothing wrong with an 1100 or Browning A5 out on the clays course, but keep in mind that they are older designs, and with todays technology, the guns are softer shooting, lighter, easier to field strip for cleaning, etc...
    MyTFAL, I'll be going over to Tallow Creek tomorrow afternoon, and can bring a couple different auto's with me if you would be able to make it out there and try em out.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    Nothing wrong with an 1100 or Browning A5 out on the clays course, but keep in mind that they are older designs, and with todays technology, the guns are softer shooting, lighter, easier to field strip for cleaning, etc...
    MyTFAL, I'll be going over to Tallow Creek tomorrow afternoon, and can bring a couple different auto's with me if you would be able to make it out there and try em out.

Man that is a very generous offer unfortunately I couldn't make it today till after 6:00PM, damn work messing up my play. I actually have a 40's vintage Remington (A-5 copy) Sportsman 16 gauge that I shot skeet with over the Easter weekend, it was and is a great gun. I did well and really like the gun, but man that monkey bites! I am a recoil Junky and the actual recoil didn't really bother me or my ability to shoot on target, but damn I was bruised up for 3 days after. If I'm going to deal with that I want a 12 gauge. Thanks for all the opinions and i would love to meet up at Tallow creek. If you go again let me know I'm in!

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I went to Argentina last January and ran over 3000 shells through one of their Baretta's (which was obviously well used by many others before me). 5 jams only!

I have been a Remington(1100's & 1187), boy/man all my life. Still have them, but will never buy another as long as Beretta is making them.

Beretta all the way!

ultra_mag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Carencro
    Probably the best semi auto for clays is the Beretta 391 Teknys. I have one and it shoots great. I also have a browning gold sporting clays that is a very good gun for the money.

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    I'm partial to the Beretta 390.

In truth, any of the major manufacturers starting with B are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    why go with a semi? you lose the ability to choose a choke for the longer shots.

Most of the Beretta's I've looked at come in a real nice kit with multiple changeable chokes, these seem to be getting rave reviews all over the place. I like the gas system on the Remington it is very simple to clean. The older Beretta's seem to be a good bit more complicated. I am sure it would become second nature eventually.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I like to use my Saiga 12. in case I miss on the first 10 shots... i got a couple extra... :)

+ 1

and after a couple cases of Miller Lite, ya just can't have enough magazine cap...I really don't like ranges that don't allow ice chests or boom boxes on the firing line, I mean dam, it's a sport right ??

:chuckles:

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I went to Argentina last January and ran over 3000 shells through one of their Baretta's (which was obviously well used by many others before me). 5 jams only!

I have been a Remington(1100's & 1187), boy/man all my life. Still have them, but will never buy another as long as Beretta is making them.

Beretta all the way!

My REMINGTON Special Field 870's NEVER even burp.

When headin' South, I need only take one; it won't fail me, ever !

And it is all-American !

elViejo

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Shot 2 cases of skeet this weekend.
    Remington 870's and 1187 models performed round after round with zero failures.

My Dad's Berretta Auto would not eject the low power 8's. I even put a good bit of Hoppes in it to no avail. I ended up putting it back in the truck. It ran fine with 7 1/2's, but it sure doesn't like 8's.

However my Brothers 1187(Shur-shot Thumbhole) could reach out there and touch these skeet at 50+ yards with ease. That was hilarious to wait until they were almost to the ground and bang-shatter 3 1/2" Madness! Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom