So, What Do You Get From A 110 Lb. Doe?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    River Ridge, LA
    I process my own deer. Totally debone it (except for the neck), separate the muscle groups in the hind legs into individual roasts, and remove all fat and connective tissue. Recently shot a 110 lb. doe. Out of curiosity, I tracked the yield. Here's what I got.

Neck (bone in) - 3 lbs. 12 oz. Make a nice brown gravy with lots of onions and simmer this sucker a few hours `til the meat falls off the bone. Heaven on rice.

Net-Neck.jpg

Two tenderloins (7 oz. each) and two back straps (2 lbs. 7 oz. each). Everyone knows what to do with these.

Net-TenderloinBackStrap.jpg

Six boneless roast from hind legs (average 2 lbs. 8 oz. each). These will go on the pit for sure.

Net-Roasts.jpg

From the sholders and elsewhere, chunks of stew meat (2 lbs. 10 oz.) and larger chunks for pot roasts (4 lbs.).

Net-StewPotRoast.jpg

Everything else is coarse ground for sausage, chili and tacos (8 lbs.)

Net-CoarseGround.jpg

TOTAL: 31 lbs. 10 oz. boneless meat plus the neck (and not a penny to the butcher).

10shotgroup

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Thats some pretty cool info.

I also do all my own processing. Used to debone the hind quarters while they were hanging to save work at home, but the warden in Texas made me quit because apparently that's going further than quarters. Even made my own sasuage a few times. But have come to learn it's just eaiser to grind and package and add pork and seasoning before cooking. Saves all that stuffing and also let's me use my meat in more ways.

Thanks for taking the time to do that. Good info.

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    About 30% meat. I wonder if that percentage would hold true for a 180lb Buck.

OMG!! This is exactly why we shoot mature deer on our lease. You would not believe how much more meat you get from a larger deer. Although a 130 lb doe IS a nice one. Deer smaller than that are just skin and bones.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Excellent post, Huck!

If you actually enjoy deer meat, that's ideal in my book. :cheers:

PS- I'm glad to see you save the tenderloins. It might shock some to learn how many folks don't- and have NO CLUE what they're missing.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Excellent post, Huck!

If you actually enjoy deer meat, that's ideal in my book. :cheers:

PS- I'm glad to see you save the tenderloins. It might shock some to learn how many folks don't- and have NO CLUE what they're missing.

Meh, about enough meat for a couple biscuits worth and a whole lot more work... :D:D

10shotgroup

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Explain please?

There a reg in Texas that the deer cannot be reduced to more than quarters for transport back home. Removing the meat from the bone and leaving the running gear hanging was a violation according to that particular warden. I really don't know how because it was still whole. This was after doing 50-100 deer this way over the yeArs.

Now I just " knuckle" the hips and leave the H bone. This leaves the bone in the hind quarter for transport.

10shotgroup

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Denham Springs
    OMG!! This is exactly why we shoot mature deer on our lease. You would not believe how much more meat you get from a larger deer. Although a 130 lb doe IS a nice one. Deer smaller than that are just skin and bones.

110 lb doe is mature in lots of places. All kinds of factors affect this. Browse, deer per acre, weather, time of year.........

If your not shooting 110lb does your proably doing yourself a disservice.

Huckleberry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    River Ridge, LA
    We've been keeping club harvest records for fifteen years, with the weight and age of each deer taken.

Our 1 & 1/2 year old does will go anywhere from 70 to 90 lbs. At 2 & 1/2 or older they will be anywhere from 100 to 120 lbs., with a 125/130 pounder every now and then. We've also had three year old does in the 100 pound range that were perfectly healthy. Deer have different body types, just like people.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I don't know about ya'll but 3 100lb does + 1 or 2 200lb bucks + who knows how many hogs, ducks, and fish = more than my freezer can handle.

Big does are nice... but a little freezer room doesn't hurt either.

lost

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Pineville
    Nice write up. Just about 1/3 of the live weight is what we usually end up with too. Makes those smaller yearlings almost not worth the work (but the meat is sooo good).

Top Bottom