Suspicious Activity

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    So I was watching TV a little while ago when there was a knock on the door. I answered it to find a man, woman and child (about 5 years old) asking if the groundskeeper (I live in an apartment complex) lived in my apartment. They said someone told them my apartment number was the one the groundskeeper lived in. I told them no, that they had the wrong apartment, and that he should try the front office.

About 10 minutes later I opened the door again and the man was standing near by on a cell phone. I startled him and he said that he was "trying to call." I guess he meant the groundskeeper.

Something about this bothers me. First of all, the group of them were dirty and they looked like they could be homeless. Secondly, there is a security gate, so either they jumped it or the "groundskeeper" told them the code to it accurately but failed to tell them the right apartment number. Third, why was a young kid with them?

This makes me wonder if maybe this is some kind of scheme, perhaps looking for a vacant apartment that they could squat in or something.

Do any LEOs here know of anything like this? Am I just being paranoid?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    OR maybe they were doing surveillance, get as much info as they could from you to find if you could be a potential target.

Im not trying to get you even more paranoid, but that is one thing I hated when I lived in apartment complexes, there is always somebody trying to get something, car stereos or even finding out which apartment to hit when the tenants are at work.

I would notify the office tomorrow morning just so they are aware, I doubt they will do anything about it but at least this way they cant say "we didnt know".

Think of it for a minute, you said they looked homeless, yet the guy was on a cellphone, I know anybody now a days can have a prepaid but if I was homeless I would probably worry more about using that dollar every day to eat than to have a signal to get calls, just my .02!

Last edited:

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    so did you do anything about it right when it happened (called LEO immediately) or just passive-aggressively post about it on here?

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    thats not passive aggressiveness... You sir are picking a fight.. He was startled and then thought about his actions and then asked after the fact..

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    not picking a fight, just asking a question and yes it is passive-aggressive,

I've learned to go with instinct, if something doesn't seem right it probably isn't. A call to the radio room right away can't hurt, only help.

And if that child needed help (food/shelter/abuse protection etc..), there is now no way to followup on that.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    So I was watching TV a little while ago when there was a knock on the door. I answered it to find a man, woman and child (about 5 years old) asking if the groundskeeper (I live in an apartment complex) lived in my apartment. They said someone told them my apartment number was the one the groundskeeper lived in. I told them no, that they had the wrong apartment, and that he should try the front office.

About 10 minutes later I opened the door again and the man was standing near by on a cell phone. I startled him and he said that he was "trying to call." I guess he meant the groundskeeper.

Something about this bothers me. First of all, the group of them were dirty and they looked like they could be homeless. Secondly, there is a security gate, so either they jumped it or the "groundskeeper" told them the code to it accurately but failed to tell them the right apartment number. Third, why was a young kid with them?

This makes me wonder if maybe this is some kind of scheme, perhaps looking for a vacant apartment that they could squat in or something.

Do any LEOs here know of anything like this? Am I just being paranoid?

Bunch of years ago I worked for a charity org, we were steadily callin the cops because the donations were being jacked out of the steel drop boxes, people would put young kids in thru the slots and the kids would pass out donations to grown ups, climb out of the box into the car and be gone, ( sometimes )

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    not in the definition of this, PAPD patients characteristically procrastinate, resist demands for adequate performance, find excuses for delays, and find fault with those on whom they depend; yet they refuse to extricate themselves from the dependent relationships. They usually lack assertiveness and are not direct about their own needs and wishes. They fail to ask needed questions about what is expected of them and may become anxious when forced to succeed or when their usual defense of turning anger against themselves is removed.

In interpersonal relationships, these people attempt to manipulate themselves into a position of dependence, but others often experience this passive, self-detrimental behavior as punitive and munipulative. People with this disorder expect others to do their errands and to carry out their routine responsibilities. Friends and clinicians may become enmeshed in trying to assuage the patients' many claims of unjust treatment. The close relationships of people with PAPD, however, are rarely tranquil or happy. Because they are bound to their resentment more closely than to their satisfaction, they may never even formulate goals for finding enjoyment in life. People with this disorder lack self-confidence and are typically pessimistic about the future.

or this The Disease Perspective

Proposed Revision | APA DSM-5 New!

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-IV (American Psychiatric Association, 1994, pp. 634-635), for research purposes, describes Passive-Aggressive Personality Disorder as a pervasive pattern of negativistic attitudes and passive resistance to demands for adequate performance, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:

* passively resists fulfilling routine social and occupational tasks;

* complains of being misunderstood and unappreciated by others;

* is sullen and argumentative;

* unreasonably criticizes and scorns authority;

* expresses envy and resentment toward those apparently more fortunate;

* voices exaggerated and persistent complaints of personal misfortune;

* alternates between hostile defiance and contrition.

The disorder does not occur exclusively during Major Depressive Episodes and is not better accounted for by Dysthymic Disorder.

or this

High Neuroticism
    Chronic negative affects, including anxiety, fearfulness, tension, irritability, anger, dejection, hopelessness, guilt, shame; difficulty in inhibiting impulses: for example, to eat, drink, or spend money; irrational beliefs: for example, unrealistic expectations, perfectionistic demands on self, unwarranted pessimism; unfounded somatic concerns; helplessness and dependence on others for emotional support and decision making.

High Extraversion
    Excessive talking, leading to inappropriate self-disclosure and social friction; inability to spend time alone; attention seeking and overly dramatic expression of emotions; reckless excitement seeking; inappropriate attempts to dominate and control others.

Low Openness
    Difficulty adapting to social or personal change; low tolerance or understanding of different points of view or lifestyles; emotional blandness and inability to understand and verbalize own feelings; alexythymia; constricted range of interests; insensitivity to art and beauty; excessive conformity to authority.

Low Agreeableness
    Cynicism and paranoid thinking; inability to trust even friends or family; quarrelsomeness; too ready to pick fights; exploitive and manipulative; lying; rude and inconsiderate manner alienates friends, limits social support; lack of respect for social conventions can lead to troubles with the law; inflated and grandiose sense of self; arrogance.

High Conscientiousness
    Overachievement: workaholic absorption in job or cause to the exclusion of family, social, and personal interests; compulsiveness, including excessive cleanliness, tidiness, and attention to detail; rigid self-discipline and an inability to set tasks aside and relax; lack of spontaneity; overscrupulousness in moral behavior.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    This pretty much describes all BS members at one time or another. LOL :rofl:

not in the definition of this, PAPD patients characteristically procrastinate, resist demands for adequate performance, find excuses for delays, and find fault with those on whom they depend; yet they refuse to extricate themselves from the dependent relationships. They usually lack assertiveness and are not direct about their own needs and wishes. They fail to ask needed questions about what is expected of them and may become anxious when forced to succeed or when their usual defense of turning anger against themselves is removed.

In interpersonal relationships, these people attempt to manipulate themselves into a position of dependence, but others often experience this passive, self-detrimental behavior as punitive and munipulative. People with this disorder expect others to do their errands and to carry out their routine responsibilities. Friends and clinicians may become enmeshed in trying to assuage the patients' many claims of unjust treatment. The close relationships of people with PAPD, however, are rarely tranquil or happy. Because they are bound to their resentment more closely than to their satisfaction, they may never even formulate goals for finding enjoyment in life. People with this disorder lack self-confidence and are typically pessimistic about the future.

or this The Disease Perspective

Proposed Revision | APA DSM-5 New!

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-IV (American Psychiatric Association, 1994, pp. 634-635), for research purposes, describes Passive-Aggressive Personality Disorder as a pervasive pattern of negativistic attitudes and passive resistance to demands for adequate performance, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:

* passively resists fulfilling routine social and occupational tasks;

* complains of being misunderstood and unappreciated by others;

* is sullen and argumentative;

* unreasonably criticizes and scorns authority;

* expresses envy and resentment toward those apparently more fortunate;

* voices exaggerated and persistent complaints of personal misfortune;

* alternates between hostile defiance and contrition.

The disorder does not occur exclusively during Major Depressive Episodes and is not better accounted for by Dysthymic Disorder.

or this

High Neuroticism
    Chronic negative affects, including anxiety, fearfulness, tension, irritability, anger, dejection, hopelessness, guilt, shame; difficulty in inhibiting impulses: for example, to eat, drink, or spend money; irrational beliefs: for example, unrealistic expectations, perfectionistic demands on self, unwarranted pessimism; unfounded somatic concerns; helplessness and dependence on others for emotional support and decision making.

High Extraversion
    Excessive talking, leading to inappropriate self-disclosure and social friction; inability to spend time alone; attention seeking and overly dramatic expression of emotions; reckless excitement seeking; inappropriate attempts to dominate and control others.

Low Openness
    Difficulty adapting to social or personal change; low tolerance or understanding of different points of view or lifestyles; emotional blandness and inability to understand and verbalize own feelings; alexythymia; constricted range of interests; insensitivity to art and beauty; excessive conformity to authority.

Low Agreeableness
    Cynicism and paranoid thinking; inability to trust even friends or family; quarrelsomeness; too ready to pick fights; exploitive and manipulative; lying; rude and inconsiderate manner alienates friends, limits social support; lack of respect for social conventions can lead to troubles with the law; inflated and grandiose sense of self; arrogance.

High Conscientiousness
    Overachievement: workaholic absorption in job or cause to the exclusion of family, social, and personal interests; compulsiveness, including excessive cleanliness, tidiness, and attention to detail; rigid self-discipline and an inability to set tasks aside and relax; lack of spontaneity; overscrupulousness in moral behavior.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    thanks for the DSM V definition review, but I still cinsider it passive aggressive.

I'm more concerned about the child than anything else...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Call it what you want (passive agreessive, etc) but if it was worthy enough to post on here then that is the standard to call the cops. If you spent more than 10 minutes thinking about it, make a report. If nothing else it starts a paper chain, so that next week when an apartment gets stripped there is something to follow up on.
    IF that's paranoid, then so be it. Maybe it wasn't their kid. Maybe the kid is being abused. Maybe the kid is being taught how to case apartments. Do something about it now. Or maybe he'll be the one that a few years from now tries to jump you in the parking lot...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom