The General Lee vs. The Bandit Trans Am....... Which is better?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which is better?

• The General Lee

Votes: 44 62.9%
    • The Bandit Trans Am

Votes: 26 37.1%

• Total voters

Old_Demon

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    No doubt the newer cars today can put most of the old "classics" on the trailer. But the love of the old cars is not just for speed, but they had character. They looked different, too. Today's cars almost all look the same and just don't have any real distinction from one another. Besides, half the fun of owning a muscle car back in the day was to continually play with it trying to make if faster and better. You had to get your hands dirty! Today hook up a laptop and make any number of changes. It ain't the same.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    GENERAL LEE all day.

While I like the Smokey and the Bandit movies.......General Lee and all of its awesomeness wins hands down.

That first video is awesome. That Police seen them two iconic cars and didnt want NONE. I guess they seen what usually happens to them when they give chase.

Bandit car is awesome.....but its just a Trans-am
    General Lee has the paint.....orange/black numbers....and the Confederate Flag with General Lee wrote on it. My fav show as a kid and just awesome.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I don't think they can touch the ls series mod for mod.

A BBC will hands down will stomp a LS series engine mod for mod. The only disadvantages the BBC will have is weight and gas mileage. Heck, if you are going to go mod for mod you might be able to fab up a good fuel injection set up that will help in the MPG department. They might even have a better aluminum block set up than the old ZL1s.

BBCs just start off with better cylinder heads in general. 800 HP is pretty easy for a NA BBC, not so much for a LSX.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    A BBC will hands down will stomp a LS series engine mod for mod. The only disadvantages the BBC will have is weight and gas mileage. Heck, if you are going to go mod for mod you might be able to fab up a good fuel injection set up that will help in the MPG department. They might even have a better aluminum block set up than the old ZL1s.

BBCs just start off with better cylinder heads in general. 800 HP is pretty easy for a NA BBC, not so much for a LSX.

800bhp on pump-gas? Link to example, please.

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    Cutlass.jpgCutlass2.jpgCutlass3.jpgAnd oh yeah, Here is my Oldsmobile Cutlass w/a Big Block 454.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I didn't say it would run on pump gas, but:

Here you can buy a crate 565 that makes 800 HP on pump gas: http://precisionraceengines.com/featured-products/chevy-454-stroker-turn-key-crate-engine-800-hp

I learned the hard way that those kinds of ads are misleading. They quote GROSS hp, and not SAE hp. I bought a 340hp 302 once. It dynoed 242. Notice their dyno vid? Not very "SAE" looking to me.

Another example is the LS1 engine. It makes over 400hp bone stock according to GROSS hp ratings when tested outside of a vehicle in an engine dyno room.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I learned the hard way that those kinds of ads are misleading. They quote GROSS hp, and not SAE hp. I bought a 340hp 302 once. It dynoed 242. Notice their dyno vid? Not very "SAE" looking to me.

Another example is the LS1 engine. It makes over 400hp bone stock according to GROSS hp ratings when tested outside of a vehicle in an engine dyno room.

You asked for an article, I supplied you with one.

Talk do anyone who really races cars and they'll tell you it's pretty easy to make stupid power with a BBC if you know what you are doing. They make power, they can make lots of power, and it'll be easier than with an LS series engine. It's just what a BBC is.

I love the LS series engines, great power and efficient but they were made to be a passenger car engine and fit in a small engine compartment.... BBCs were designed with NASCAR in mind from the get go. Each has their place, but a BBC is just going to make more power because it'll move more air in the end.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    You asked for an article, I supplied you with one.

Talk do anyone who really races cars and they'll tell you it's pretty easy to make stupid power with a BBC if you know what you are doing. They make power, they can make lots of power, and it'll be easier than with an LS series engine. It's just what a BBC is.

I love the LS series engines, great power and efficient but they were made to be a passenger car engine and fit in a small engine compartment.... BBCs were designed with NASCAR in mind from the get go. Each has their place, but a BBC is just going to make more power because it'll move more air in the end.

I'll grant you that "in the end" it will make more power, I won't argue that. However, without completely re-doing the engine, the LSX series has a lot more to offer "mod for mod", unless you mean "new/fully machined and ported heads". Then of course, he with the deepest pockets will win.

One thing you are dead-on about is the size/weight, which is why I never really looked too much into the BB world.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I'll grant you that "in the end" it will make more power, I won't argue that. However, without completely re-doing the engine, the LSX series has a lot more to offer "mod for mod", unless you mean "new/fully machined and ported heads". Then of course, he with the deepest pockets will win.

One thing you are dead-on about is the size/weight, which is why I never really looked too much into the BB world.

It really depends on which BBC you start with (rectangular, oval, or peanut ports)...... It really doesn't take much BBC to push a car into the 10s. As long as it's not a smog chamber or peanut port head, it'll make power.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    No doubt the newer cars today can put most of the old "classics" on the trailer. But the love of the old cars is not just for speed, but they had character. They looked different, too. Today's cars almost all look the same and just don't have any real distinction from one another. Besides, half the fun of owning a muscle car back in the day was to continually play with it trying to make if faster and better. You had to get your hands dirty! Today hook up a laptop and make any number of changes. It ain't the same.

You still have to get your hands dirty, it takes way more than a lap top to tune newer model hot rods. With technology now days you can pull big block numbers with small block builds. They make carb intakes for the LSX and you can stroke it out over 400 cubes, I think it's all about application and what you'd like in the end.

Charles1959

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.
    I'll take the General Lee. Although I'm a GM guy, I just never liked a unibody car. They just don't take the abuse a full frame does.
    And as far as the horsepower argument....
    Like the old saying goes; "Speed is just a matter of money son, how fast do you want to go?"

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Tough choice. I like em both. I think both cars were equally badass, image-wise. So I think we must go to the tiebreaker system.

Here goes......

"The Bandit"
    smokey-and-the-bandit-original.jpg

"The General Lee"-------------------------------------------------------------------------> WINNER~!
    Daisy_Duke.jpg

(Yeah- I know it probably ain't fair, but neither is life.:D)

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    I have heard it said that imitation is a form of flattery. I see lots of General Lee imitations but not so on the Bandits Trans Am. Just saying...:D
    Camaro
    u0fugc3qntt584h4mlv6.jpg

Corvette
    lhjx99pynoxzl6v63e3q.jpg

Mustang
    33lmc8ljtj1uhhhqs3.jpg

VW Bug
    ssvh5259mxg986xmqop.jpg

Bike
    0mmex3kwx4aqhwq7itlk.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom