The Shooters Club

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bird

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2006
    The only bad gun purchase experience I have ever had. And it was Very bad.

Hello Forum,
    First I would like to state that the staff at Shooters Club are in my opinion very knowledgeable, courteous, helpful and most importantly, provide excellent customer service. However, I was warned never to speak or deal with the manager James, which unfortunately I later came to realize why. I had ordered a Limited Edition firearm for a fair price from their web site... prefer to buy local instead of those internet auction sites. The very day my order arrived happened to be the day they lost their FFL license. After three weeks even turned down an opportunity to buy the same firearm at the Kenner Gun Show for 113 dollars less. I find it deeply important to keep my word and follow through with any transactions, firearm or otherwise. Meanwhile I was assured my patience would be rewarded and assured that "The Shooter's Club takes care of their customers". While in the area I made a quick visit to the store, inspected the gun and was again impressed by the staff there. I've been a Social Worker for 12 years and although now live on the Northshore do much work in the projects so I thought I found my new after-work target range, where to get my CCL updated, and where I would make many future purchases(quick note: all of my guns were stolen out of my trunk while living in B.R. after Katrina. this was to be my first gun purchase since then). This was directly due to the the helpful staff there. Finally, over a month after my gun had been sitting in the store I called and found that they had the FFL renewed that morning! I asked for any of the employees I had spoken to before to let them know I was going over to pick the gun up. Coincidentally I received a work promotion the day before and my father was going to take my fiancée' and I out to dinner to celebrate. Two pieces of great news to ensure a great weekend. We would pick up the gun before going to dinner. I asked if any of the employees I was familiar with were there and James answered. I inquired about any lagniappe and was offered a box of Federal ammo which is incompatible with the gun. I asked if the most recommended ammo could be substituted "NO". I asked the price of the ammo could be applied to the gun price "No". My best friend who is a retired NOPD veteran came by for a visit and I told him about this and he after a few profanities he felt I was due a better offer than the equivalent of 7 dollars of ammo(the cheapest they had). I called again and asked for a specific employee and here is the humorous/weird par… James actually stated "this is him" and pretended to be the employee(didn’t even bother trying to emulate the voice) then upon hearing my request for a box of the recommended ammo(11.95 street price) Told me he changed his tone to loud and aggressive: " I find it offensive that you DARE! ask to negotiate and he(still referring to himself in third person) had really stuck my neck out(for 7 dollars?) and then proceeded to outright lie, insult, and falsely accuse me of all manner of things that I had no idea of what he was talking about. I assured him he had to have me confused with someone else. He then retracted the offer for the free ammo to boot. Needless to say my patience was rewarded by being treated terribly to the point of making me angry. I feel my request was very small in comparison to how other firearm dealers would have handled such a lengthy delay. Again, the staff there is very helpful and earned my respect. James I do not and I only wish that I had heeded the warning or learned about this site earlier to read the rude attacking postings from him here earlier. I wonder what names I'll be called after posting this :confused:

Sincere Best Regards,

Bryan ^v^

TigerFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2006
    Metairie
    I shoot there about once or twice a month. I find the best way to do it is to show up. If it is too crowded I leave, no hard feelings I'll try back another time.

As for Mike and the guys over there, I don't have a problem dealing with them. Again, I go there to check out future purchases when they aren't busy. Plus, Mike did backflips trying to set up a CC Class for me and a few friends, two backed out and we didn't have enough people for the class, but he held it anyway.

As for complaining, you do something right the customer will tell a friend. You mess up the customer will tell anyone who asks. That's a rule in sales. Remember it, Live by it because everyone is a customer even if they don't know it yet.

TigerFan

P.S. When is that new range opening up, that will resolve most of the recommendations/complaints.

glockboy98

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2006
    Metairie
    first of all...p22 guy...I, James, am not a manager. I'm not going to say the name of the manager you spoke with as he can deal with this at his own time, but lets get this straight, you sir were the exact opposite of patient. Does calling twice a day literally yelling at me and fellow employees about and i quote "what kind of candy ass operation is this?" "what kind of ******* way is this to do business"...Does that sound like patience to you? calling the store i work at, asking for us to give away almost 100 or so dollars in what nots to make you happy when the FFL situation was something we had no control over, just doesn't make sense. Especially when our boss said to give away nothing, and one of my personal friends who is a manager risked losing his job going against what was said and offered you a CASE of ammunition for free just to make you happy, you said sure that was fine...later that day you called up asking for the manager telling the same person you talked to earlier that the deal "this other guy" made wasn't good enough for you and you wanted more. This is what got us upset, you were literally willing to go out your way to possibly get one of us fired over your pistol after we went out of our way to begin with to find the exact gun you wanted with the magnificent 7 in the serial number and trying our best to make you happy with more free ammunition after you argued that what we were giving you for free wasn't good enough for you.(apparently you think we have at least 20 different people working there) and hoping to get one shift against another, called in the morning saying one thing then called back in the evening and literally bad mouthed us to our faces thinking we were different people does not sound like patience to me sir. Our FFL was down for 2 weeks. So how was your gun here for a month??? Sir, you are a bad liar. Your gun transaction went badly because you made it go badly. I, James, talked to you once, and the conversation started off with you yelling at me because the FFL was not reinstated after a week and that my store was a candy ass operation and this was ******* ******** and this is not how to deal with customers. I was polite the whole time to you though. Funny how you don't mention yelling and profanity in how you dealt with "the knowledgable, courteous staff." I, James, (not the store) advise you to seek medical assistance. I believe you need a psychologist/psychiatrist sir, maybe dealing with Katrina messed something up??? I mean its obvious to a lay-man like me that somethings not right...look at that first line, we are amazing super great all-knowing good guys to see...but then 2 lines later we're horrible, especially james, the person you talked to once for about 20 seconds. I can back my story up sir, with 5 other people i know who were there that day you called and personally harrased me via telephone. I find it hard to believe you were warned to never talk to me, the manager, james, as i am not a manager, and work there about 3 hours a day depending on my school schedule. I usually try my best to be fair and nice to people who come in. I know you were offered more than 7 dollars in ammo sir, a good bit more. You were not the only one affected by the FFL situation, and several more people had guns on hold during the "2 weeks" (apparently a month by your standards, i can get the exact dates from work this week to prove you wrong once again on that) these people did not expect to be given hundreds of dollars worth of lagniappe like you. They did get "lagniappe" though because they were respectful and were the opitome of patient. I am also happy to note that your limited edition p22 sold the next day you decided to throw a hissy fit over not getting a 100 dollars worth of free stuff out of us for harrassing us daily saying "i believe patience should be rewarded." Ending on a comical note as i always like to do, a quote from willy wonka, "GOOD day sir, YOU lose!" on a further note I, James, wholeheartedly apologize for earlier posts that might have offended people with sensitive feelings. I just don't take kindly to attacks posted on the internet about me, people i know, or the place that i work for too kindly. Hence why i was offensive earlier. Stop by the shop sometime and you'll agree things are much better now than before.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2006
    Ceasefire

My name is Jeremy, and I am the manager of SC.

I don't believe I'm evil, but what the hell, maybe I am. I do know I can be grouchy and for that I am sometimes sorry.

Many issues have been addressed on this thread, some were not so positive. I hope I'm smart enough to take what I learn here and do something with it, though honestly I don't know how much I'll be able to change.

To most of you, I apologize if we haven't fully done our job and sorry that we've lost your business. Hopefully our customer service will be improved upon. As for the lanes there is little we can do. We have limited the number of shooters in the range at any one time to six (except Kids under 13.) We do ask that shooters act as range safeties. Correct a mistake once, the second time inform us. We also request that you be patient, business has increased in the last few weeks and we're doing the best we can to address all of your questions. Best times for buying a gun quickly, and getting our full, undivided attention are usually 11 a.m.-noon, 2 p.m.-4 p.m. and 7p.m.-close. Normally it's slow during these periods.

That said...it's time we had a cease fire here. You guys say whatever you want, in the meantime I expect my crew to abstain from continuing in these vitriolic defenses. Guys, honestly, we send home many more happy customers than angry and we have a legion of regulars who are almost members of the family. You know when we've ****** up??? When Mr. "J" says so.

So ceasefire.

It is very important that all of you realize that I will not, ever, again correct my staff in public. This is a one time thing. All other such matters will be handled in private.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2006
    A Minor Addition

After reviewing this thread I feel it necessary to add a few things.

1) To Bird, I Jeremy am the person you talked to. I, Jeremy, am the only manager at Shooters Club. I, Jeremy am solely responsible for the transaction going the way it did. James was involved only in answering the phone and only spoke to you once to my knowledge.

2) I do not feel that you should have done you're research before walking into the store. If I can't answer questions and provide information then all I am is a clerk. I should note here that I know next to nothing about bolt action rifles, scopes, or rings. Sorry I'm a Glock/Ar/870 guy. Most of my regulars can help you out when I'm swamped.

3) I wish like hell I had time to shoot the breeze with customers. I really do, jumping out of my ass all day sucks. Unfortunately it just doesn't seem to work that way.

Finally, I want to reiterate to my crew that you may no longer post angry rants on this forum. If you feel you must respond do so in a calm, well thought out manner. Keep the four letter language to a minimum. Let's keep it civil.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2006
    The new range is gorgeous, unfortunately Harrahan inspectors and last minute contractor Snafu's are holding us up and I do not have a solid date. We will, however, be holding a GSSF match at the new range on Hickory, Saturday November 11.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Thanks for the response, Jeremy (Nice name :D).

I appreciate you coming on and clearing some things up. I hope you stick around and provide some insight for us Glock/AR/870 guys. :D

See ya,
    Spanky

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    +1 Spanky. As soon as the new range is open I'm going to head out there . I work in the CBD so it might be a good lunch break. Hell, that was my only complaint. Can you give range specs out (i.e., # of lanes, distance, types of weapons allowed, etc.)?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2006
    The new range is not going to be an end all be all fix for the crowd problem. We've had it open several weekends now, on and off and the Shop on David has still been crowded as hell.

It'll help a little, but please guys, don't expect miracles.

TigerFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2006
    Metairie
    Shooters Club II, is it going to be just a range, or gun store/range.

I imagine once word gets out that ya'll are open over there, it will reduce the overcrowding a bit, maybe not drastically, but noticeably.

Best of luck to it.

TigerFan

Bamboozled!!!

Finds ass with BOTH hands
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2006
    TigerFan,

As I understand it, the new range is just a range. No gun sales. It has taken over the Shooter's Club moniker, and the "old Shooter's Club" is now called "Jefferson Gun Outlet".

TigerFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2006
    Metairie
    Thanks. I thought the new Shooters Club was to be Jefferson Gun Outlet. Guess I can't get past calling the new one Jefferson Indoor.:D

TigerFan

Bamboozled!!!

Finds ass with BOTH hands
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2006
    Yeah, it is pretty much "old Shooter's Club" and "the new range" to me. But, if you call old SC, they answer the phone as "Jefferson Gun Outlet".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2006
    Sometimes we answer the phone "Jefferson Gun Outlet." I seem to forget about 50% of the time. The new name was a bad idea, we've just made ourselves the old shooters club, the name change was also a major part of our recent FFL trouble.

The new range sells ammo, some cleaning supplies, and most of our knives. As soon as I get a solid, no crap opening day and price list I'll post it here.

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    I shoot there regularly . In fact I just fired my P22 limited edition there a few day ago..:rofl: (I am the one who bought it..)

I go there when I have time to kill and I never wait to long for a lane.. Also I find Jeremy and the others very helpful and friendly..

Maybe its just my magnetic personality..:D

Last edited:

bird

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2006
    Complete untruth from shooters club

Wow,
    Interesting.
    Well, complete true lies about the transaction. I certainly never raised my voice and was never offered a case of ammo. As far as the 5 people to back you up...Well that is not the case and you know it. I absolutely do not want to compromise those that were professional by name but you are severely mistaken. As far as me using inappropriate language in my posts...untrue..merely go back and look at them. The Shooters Club remains my worst gun buying experience and it was a month, not two weeks. Lastly, interesting that you mention my needing psychological assistance as I am an MSW L.P.C., and sure Katrina and it's aftermath took it's toll on me like thousands of others(and I am working mostly free to help counsel those emotionally damaged) but your description of my behavior is a deliberate lie. I have a broadband phone which offers free recording of any conversations and recorded more than a few when things started to turn sour. I would like to know why you lie. Also, posts on the internet are libel for defamation of character, especially ones of this nature. I dropped this subject quite some time ago and returned to this site only to see more made up stories. I was just one potential customer...
    Sincere Best Regards,
    ^v^

Top Bottom